PDA

View Full Version : can too much sleep be bad for you ???

stevie boy
09-01-05, 18:11
hi everyone hope you can help iv been getting far to much sleep like today i went to bed lastnight at 12 then i was up again at 3 in the morning i went back to sleep and then i was up again at 8 with a tummy problem i went back to sleep about half 9 and dint get up till 5 this afternoon im very worrid hope someone can help ??

stevie boy

nomorepanic
09-01-05, 19:08
Hi Steve

I am terrible for sleep problems so I have now got 4 books on the subject to learn more about it.

I have been known to sleep all day at a weekend till early evening like you.

I am a great believer that sleep is a good healer but sometimes we can get too much sleep.

I am not very far into researching it but it does say that you should get up at the same time every day - even weekends. Sunday night sleep is almost always the worst and I thought it was cos I was thinking about work the next day but it can also be because you have had lay-ins over the weekend so your body doesn't need too much Sunday night.

I will be doing a page about it soon on the website when I complete all the reading.

I never sleep well in the night and sometimes I have been so tired at work that I have been known to come home and go to bed and sleep all day.

It is all about re-training the body and mind from what I can tell so far so I will let you know what else I learn.

If this was a one-off then I wouldn't worry too much cos sometimes your body does need more sleep to rejuvinate.

If you had a tummy problem too then maybe you are under the weather a bit.

I know it is a waste of a weekend but if I could I would sleep all day Sat and Sun.

I will keep you updated with what I find ok?

Nicola

vernon
09-01-05, 20:10
hi steve I dont get up till about 10am each day sometimes 11am its so easy to stay there and hard to get up exspecialy when u look aout and see this rotten weather? then about 4pm after my dinner I just fall asleep again just sitting on the sette, which I hate cos i wake feeling rotten for ages. my wife cant stay in bed she goeas to bed about 1am then up every morning at 5 45am even sundays and never falls to sleep in the day. I think anxiety or not we are all different, as i have 2 sons still at home the 18 year old can easily sleep untill 3pm or later then still go back to bed and sleep if he has nothing on, yet 19 year old sone is up 6 30am every day even week ends. this morning my oldest son 26 was returning to germany,he is in army. so I got up at 7am out of guilt to see him off. I found bits to do around the house and kept bussy al day, then didnt even find i was tired in the afternoon, and feel so much better today for getting up. I know its hard and u can feel realy bad in the mornings but I am gona try to get up form now on at about 8am as today when i was pushed to do it felt so much better. take care steve, Vernon

stevie boy
09-01-05, 20:58
thanks guys i think its where i have nothing to do in the day i cant go out on my own so im left stuck in the flat allday everyday with nothing to do so i think my sleep problems is down to not useing up any energy though the day but its so sickning i hate it [V]

stevie boy

Sarah-Jane
09-01-05, 21:22
Ive always been one to love my bed too but since having kids etc getting up early and not sleeping properly has become the norm. Although since having panic attacks and feeling down i find myself really tired during the day and able to sleep for ages and not sleeping at night very well or sometimes not going to bed at all not sure if at night its dark cold and miserable and i feel claustrophobic and fear of going to sleep because i may not wake up or mind works oevertime and still feel wound up i dont know i suppose its a catch 22 situation eh? need sleep to restore energy get anxious and overtired cant sleep etc etc i suppose sleeping to much makes us lazy and lethargic and not wanting to do anything in our day to day life i guess staying in our comfort zone due to fear of things and what people think? a whopping great combinations i suppose.

Love Sarah-jane xxxx

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

mico
09-01-05, 21:36
Hi Stevie

I'm very much the same with this, and I know how dificult it can be - I really do get annoyed with myself sometimes when I don't rise at a decent time. Unfortunately, although I have looked into it a bit, it's hard to find any information on it, everything you read is about insomnia which is the exact opposite.

What vern's saying is true though, the average person usually needs around 8 hours sleep, but that's average. Apparently it can differ between person to person and can be anywhere between 4 and 11 hours. Having said that i know when I've overstepped the mark because it makes me feel groggy and slightly daydreamy for the rest of the day. Other than that I've never heard of any serious effects from it, so I wouldn't worry too much, but I know I feel a lot better when I'm up and about early. I think routine's the key - or at least one of them - if you get into the habit of lying in bed then it's hard to get out of, you need to break that habit.

Will be looking forward to your web-page though Nic.

mico

Meg
09-01-05, 22:03
stevie-

Even if you're currently agoraphobic you can exercise . Theres loads of videos and home exercise equipment available very cheaply these days and will give you all sorts of benefits.

You don't want your muscles wasting .

What are you doing to overcome the not going out alone at present ?

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

malificent
14-01-05, 18:31
Hi steve,

I'm an awful sleeper!! I usually get tired about 5pm but try not to go to sleep, then don't sleep 'til about 1am or 2am then get up about 10am or 11am and don't do much until i go back to sleep again! Like Meg has said about exercise, i try and do some (lucky i have a fast metabolism!) it makes you feel so much better, i find, to get out of breath :-) hey maybe you could even order the new Nadia (big brother) dance dvd-looks great heehee!

Lucy
xxx