PDA

View Full Version : Was I emotionally abused?

dancerja77
05-10-18, 07:53
I had a boyfriend in college who I think was abusive.

This person was so controlling over me to the point that at WORK I was not allowed to speak to males. If I saw a male friend in public I wasn't allowed to speak to them. I am a very friendly, bubbly out going person and I had many guy friends. I was forced to delete them from my physical phone and my life. I worked with an ex at the time and this was the straw that broke the camels back. I had to make lists of people that I spoke to and what I said to them. I made the mistake of speaking to that ex and I have never been screamed at or yelled at the way I was that night. He wouldn't speak to me for a week. I lost 10 pounds, ever since then the obsessions won't stop. I obsess about everything, good or bad. I for around a year, had to "confess" my sins or things I felt guilty about. I had such a hard time getting over that, but I feel like that trauma started it all.

Could this be?
Was this abuse?
Does it sound like OCD?
I still experience guilt and obsessions.

Fishmanpa
05-10-18, 12:43
You "think" that's abusive? That's definitely emotionally and psychologically abusive. Glad you got away from that! And yes, it's apparent there are some repercussions from it. I would seek professional counseling TBH.

Positive thoughts

Lola-Lee
05-10-18, 13:19
I was married to a bloke who came across as caring and loving,but I soon felt the power of his wrath,he was an emotional and physical abuser I wasn’t allowed too work,he kept me like a prisoner in my own home,if I mentioned the floggings to anyone I would get another flogging.i suffered miscarriages and now cannot have children.I put up with this for years I ended up in hospital one last time and it was there that I found a wonderful psychiatrist who told me about “Stockholm Syndrome”.I finally left with nothing but I had freedom too be able to talk too my family and friends again.
I ended up working for the Doc and became very good friends with his wife and two sons,it was she that helped me too get back too study,I ended up doing Social Work.
I miss my sweat dear friend.

You are lucky you are out of that abusive relationship,he sounds like a cult leader:)
Are you seeing any Doc’s? you need too talk about what you are experiencing with a professional.:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
06-10-18, 02:17
I was married to a bloke who came across as caring and loving,but I soon felt the power of his wrath,he was an emotional and physical abuser I wasn’t allowed too work,he kept me like a prisoner in my own home,if I mentioned the floggings to anyone I would get another flogging.i suffered miscarriages and now cannot have children.I put up with this for years I ended up in hospital one last time and it was there that I found a wonderful psychiatrist who told me about “Stockholm Syndrome”.I finally left with nothing but I had freedom too be able to talk too my family and friends again.
I ended up working for the Doc and became very good friends with his wife and two sons,it was she that helped me too get back too study,I ended up doing Social Work.
I miss my sweat dear friend.

You are lucky you are out of that abusive relationship,he sounds like a cult leader:)
Are you seeing any Doc’s? you need too talk about what you are experiencing with a professional.:hugs:

:mad: Glad you flushed him, Lola http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/toilet/t9712.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-toilet.php)

It's very sad to hear what you have suffered and the impacts it has had on your life :hugs::flowers:

Dancer, absolutely that's abuse. No question. I think we've touched on this elsewhere in your threads about the potential for there to be a traumatic trigger somewhere in all this. Talking to someone about whether there is a PTSD element would be very useful as you may need something different to work on the memory aspect.