PDA

View Full Version : Post root canal worries

Aimee1875
05-10-18, 09:23
I had the first part of root canal done on tuesday. My main worry was that I had a lump on my gum that kept growing and then bursting I presume and then just re growing again. Well since Tuesday it’s not really been filling up again and I thought that maybe that was a good sign and that the root canal had worked. Well I’ve woken up this morning to another pus lump on my gum!! I’m now freaking out and not sure if I should wait until the 18th when I revisit to raise my concerns or if this is normal? Has anyone had this situation and could calm me down:(

Katie55
05-10-18, 21:54
I've had 4 root canals but each one was when my tooth was dying and before any infection started so I don't know but if I were you I'd ring the dentist's surgery and ask if you should come back sooner. The onus is on them then and so it should be as they are the professionals. One thing I do know is that root canal treatments are very very common and most of the time work out fine (apart from the damage to your bank balance!) . Good luck.

ErinKC
05-10-18, 22:14
I would definitely call and let them know. I had a root canal on a tooth with an abscess like that and it was gone after the root canal. It came back several months later and I needed another procedure, but that's because the tooth was cracked somewhere. It could just be the rest of the infection draining out, but also could be that they didn't get it totally out. So, definitely worth a call!

Aimee1875
05-10-18, 23:55
Thanks for replying. Im really gutted as since Tuesday it’s felt so much better and my gum looked like it was healing. Today when I woke up I knew that something was wrong I could feel it in my mouth. When I was brushing my teeth it actually burst it and I’ve been keeping it clean all day and it’s not filled up again which hopefully is a positive. I’m just praying that it is the rest of it draining as it’s been fine the past days. It’s constantly on my mind thought and I’ve been looking up stuff which I know I shouldn’t as all it’s doing is worrying me. I feel like I should just get the thing removed as it’s causing so much hassle but I’m only 19 and don’t wanna lose a tooth that’s kinda towards the back but is still visible when I really smile:(

ErinKC
06-10-18, 18:47
Teeth are so annoying. I'd give them a call Monday and maybe they'll bump up your second appointment. I was 18 when I had mine, be and ended up having the tooth removed. You can see it a little bit, but hardly at all. I'm 35 now.

Aimee1875
06-10-18, 19:22
It’s not been too bad today. I’m just so worried about sepsis. I’ve waited so long for this appointment that I’m just paranoid that I’ve waited too long and now it’s really bad. The only thing keeping me going is that the worst of it/the source of it was hopefully removed and it shouldn’t be as bad as what it was. If it gets really bad I’m defo gonna give them a ring and ask what I should do! I’ve just been doing as hot as I can stand sea salt water rinses to try promote healing to see if that’ll draw it out

ErinKC
06-10-18, 19:47
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Mine was exactly like yours when I had the root canal - the infection draining through my gum like that. And then it came back several months later, meaning there was still bacteria festering in there possibly for months, and I was 100% fine. I mean, it's a total pain having dental work, but it was not serious in any way.