PDA

View Full Version : Recovery from anxiety?

tulip123
22-08-07, 14:24
I think this is a positive thread.

What does it feel like to recover from anxiety?

Does it happen over night (magic wand), or more graudally. Do people know they are recovering or does it just happen more instinctively (sub conciously).

Also do people feel more calm straight away, or still feel very adrenalin fuelled for a time with out so many anxious or intrusive thoughts?

Does it feel worse but really you are getting better etc etc.

I expect it is different in each case as we all respond differently.

Tulip

beauty
22-08-07, 15:14
Hiya tulip!

Yeah i think it will vary from person to person.

I went through a really bad phase of anxiety and panic 2 years ago and i completley recovered, until just recently when a chain of stressful events has made it come back a little bit. I'll try and remember what it was like recovering last time though!

To be honest i didnt feel the recovery, it is so gradual you dont realise it untill one day i thought back to how i was and realised how much i had changed! You are probably in the back of your mind aware that youre recovering but I dont remember feeling like i was. I think it was because the thoughts were still there only i wasnt scared of them anymore, so really i hadnt changed all that much it was more my reactions to bad thoughts which had changed, and of course my lifestyle cos i was able to start doing things again which the panic had previously stopped me from doing.

The biggest changing moments are the moments when you face your fear and do something which your anxiety had put you off. These also the worst moments because it is so scary facing your fear and it doesnt always feel better the first few times, it takes determination! But once you've done it, it feels so good! : )

Southern_Belle
22-08-07, 15:16
Hi Tulip,

I can only speak for myself. I am not cured of anxiety by any means. I do take meds and I am now able to do many things I have be unable to do for most of my life. I fly now, albeit I almost get ill before doing it, but I still fly. It took many trials of meds to find the right one for me, so my recovery to the point I am was gradual. I've had anxiety all my life, it along with OCD was ruining my children's life. Therapy has also aided me to get to the point I am today.

Laura