PDA

View Full Version : Moving Away to University

Kirree
22-08-07, 16:19
Hi, ive just joined this site, and from what ive already seen around the forum everyone seems to be really helpful :)

I am 18 and have suffered from having panic attacks most of my life, i always had separation anxiety whenever i went anywhere without my parents other than school as a child. I believe that i have agoraphobia, although originally i though i was just claustraphobic. I recently went on a 4 day summer school university preparation course at the uni i will be attending as of september. I was continously anxious and panicky during the 4 days there, especially during unsupervised social events (for some reason i still feel like a child and i need someone there to look after me incase something goes wrong, and people that i know my own age never quite seem to understand, also i dont trust them enough to feel safe away from home with them). Because of this, i went off my food and barely ate whilst i was there. The "student lifestyle" generally worries me, as i dont drink like the majority my age do, and i dont like partying without someone i trust there with me.

On the second night there, at about 2am in my temporary accomodation that had been organised by the university (i was staying with other people on the summer school) My other flat mates threw a party in the flat while i was dropping off to sleep. I immediately felt panicky (with all the drunken teenagers outside my door) and trapped in my room, unable to leave, it resulted in a lengthy panic attack and an hour long phone call to my boyfriend who was attempting to calm me down.
The whole thing completely knocked my confidence about moving away from home and away from my parents (although it is only a 40 minute train journey back into manchester, it feels far too far away when im anxious and trying my hardest not to escape back home in the early hours of the morning).

I dont want my panic attacks to get the better of me, and prevent me from going to the university that i fell in love with, but i worry that i wont be able to stick it out. Has anyone been through a similar thing successfully? or can offer any advice on how to cope in these situations.

rosepetal
22-08-07, 19:24
I don't really have any great advice. But I wanted to say that I can very much relate to most of what you have written. My anxiety and panic are triggered by similar things.
I understand. Separation anxiety [I was a premature baby and spent my first 2 months away from my mum...]. The fear of being trapped. The discomfort with parties..
I made it through 4 years of university. Somehow! [emotional support didn't really exist in 'my day'.] I made friends, and kept with my safe network. I chose carefully where I lived, and did my own thing.
One idea - could you consider lodging with a family, rather than Halls or Uni house accommodation?

Nibbles
22-08-07, 22:09
Hi Kirree and :welcome:

I know exactly how you feel as I hate being away from my family which is why I lived at home while at uni. I did have to do fieldtrips though and found them flipping hard work, especially as I didn't really know what panic attacks were back then. Although the preparation days were hard you still did it which is a fantastic achievement. My advice would be to try and break things down rather than looking at the whole course as a big mountain. It sounds like it would be possible to come home every weekend so try to see each week as a mini challenge. By breaking it down hopefully it will seem more manageable and I remember starting at uni was really busy so I'm sure that will help too.

Take care,

Mike :)

JamesP
25-08-07, 15:59
Hi Kirree,

I know exactly how you feel to an extent. I have to live away from home alot, due to my new job/apprenticeship. I've not really spent ages away from my parents (especially my mom) and because i've been knocked out of my routine that I've been use to, I also don't drink and im only 18 aswel, where as my colleagues get drunk a fair bit but you will devise a mechanism to combat the fear of drunk people outside your room.

What I panic about is very different to what you panic about, but just keep trying to develop mechanism to calm yourself down. Don't let this oppertunity you have pass you up, I've thought a few times of giving up my new job, but then remember that the future is what I need to look forward to and try and focus on the positives instead of the negatives. I know it's harder said than done, but just keep working at it and make sure your family and boyfriend are fully aware of the situation, because they'll be able to support you.

Hope this helps you abit.

James

Kirree
25-08-07, 22:41
Thank you for replying! :) Its good to know people understand how i feel! Yeah I will hopefully be coming home each weekend untill i get used to living away, and then maybe ill try to come home a bit less often. Im hoping i will eventually learn that im capable of looking after myself no matter what happens. Only 3 weeks now till uni, its one of the largest in the UK, so i guess theres a chance that there is another person there that feels similar to how i do!

x-x Katie x-x