PDA

View Full Version : Found out my friend is dying

Sammyeb27
11-10-18, 04:13
SEVERE Lung cancer trigger warning

Part of this is just venting my sadness and releaving my fear of death and sickness. I've always struggled with health anxiety and the only thing that gave me reassurance was knowing that the things I am always afraid of are rare and uncommon and that I must be safe from them. My friend is only 18 years old and has been diagnosed with lung cancer. They're okay with it, and are refusing treatment which is understandable as I know the things they've been through their whole life. They've kept this diagnoses a secret for a year. Last time I saw them they were coughing so much and kept being super reckless, probably knowing that it didn't matter what happened when they're not living a long time anyway. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I feel horrible. I cant comprehend how someone could want to die when they're so young. It makes me appreciate how simple my life has been in comparison, and really made me think about how I need to live the rest of my life. I need to look after myself and enjoy it while it lasts, because seeing my friend now will mean so much more before they're gone. I'm sorry for this to anyone scared of lung cancer, theyve been a heavy smoker and worked in unsafe work environments pretty much their whole life so it didn't just appear out of the blue. I just felt the need to tell someone, even if its strangers, because this is not something I can share with people I know since it is being kept so secret. I really wish anyone struggling with lung cancer recovering health, and I'm probably going to start a fundraiser for lung cancer when they have passed away. Thank you.

gg478
11-10-18, 05:14
That's sad to hear about your friend dying but I know what it's like for a friend to die young not from lung cancer but from accidents I've know too many who died 2 from cars one was 17 the other 18 friend older brother died in car crash this year mid 20s after being clean for not that long my grandma recently died from what I know was from bacteria on the heart valve and unfortunately I didn't get to see or hear from her one last time I couldn't go to the funeral that side of my family didn't want me or the rest of my family there so what I'm saying is cherish what time you do have with your friend and I like you have been looking at my life differently I've unfortunately devolved HA and convinced myself I've had lymphoma breast cancer Hodgkin's hell even now I've convinced myself I have melanoma from a new mole I found on my back all we can really do is live our life and spend what time we have with the ones we hold close and enjoy what we can until our time comes sorry for getting bleak at the end I hope you do well handling whats going on.

vicky23
11-10-18, 12:35
I'm sorry to read this it's obviously a very tough time for you all. I hope that posting here gives even the slightest comfort
XXX

Leslie735
11-10-18, 18:16
I'm so sorry! Praying for your friend!!

MRS STRESS ED
11-10-18, 21:19
Heart breaking news l lost my best friend to cancer too all you can do is be there and support them prayers for both of you bless you xx

Fishmanpa
11-10-18, 22:11
Having been on both sides of the equation, I understand 100%. All you can do is be there for your friend. You'll be surprised how strong you actually are from the experience and it will give you a very real perspective on just how precious life is.

Read my signature. Due to my personal experience, that has become my mantra. I wouldn't be surprised if your friend has a similar mindset. So many here worry about intangibles. Worrying about "What Ifs" is just another way of saying "Chasing the Wind".

Wishing you peace, strength and as always...

Positive thoughts