PDA

View Full Version : Relaxation Tapes/CD's

twister
31-10-03, 15:43
Can anyone recommend any good tapes/cd's for general deep relaxation as I have problems with this. For instance when I have done yoga, in the 10 minute relax bit at the end my mind wanders over anything apart from relaxation - the other day I found myself worrying about what Christmas presents to get people!

Meg
01-11-03, 00:53
Hi Emily,

It's totally normal for ages to have wandering mind syndrome...The suggested way round that is to just allow that to happen - as it will do - but as soon as you realize it then gently bring your attention back to the present moment.Again and again if necessary.
Don't be cross with yourself at all. I still often find myself pondering other things but in a far more relaxed way than previously.

As far as relaxation tapes go - as long as you like the voice / music the secret is totally about getting so familiar with your CD that as you put it on you start sinking into relaxation.

Similar to getting babes off to sleep with a musical box every night since they're born so when you travel etc there is still the familar 'going to sleep' noise. It's all about repetition.

Initially play it at least twice a day - more if you can - whilst lying sitting and relaxing. Also play it on days when you feel better.

Then you'll find that when you're in need just the playing of it when you're wound up will help enormously.

My yoga teacher recorded a session and when I was on the road and anxious just the playing of the very familiar session helped enormously even though I wasn't in a place to actually do the postures. I associated it with relaxation and could con my body into thinking it was that time again...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
01-11-03, 01:26
great post meg,
there have been relaxation techniques going back thousands of years...so there here to stay!
as i said in a previous post...the sound of rainfall...has always been my godsend since a young man...i dont suffer,as many of you do,but because of my job,i get stressed,and i often go to sleep,listening to my tape.
think of a relaxing scene for you...maybe a beach...maybe a desert island,surrounded by your loved ones,whatever it maybe...go to w.h.smiths etc,find a tape that you feel comfortable with,and as meg says,listen to it two or three times a day,put it on at bedtime...and you will soon start to relax,if your feeling tense,put your tape(cd) on,enjoy the feeling...practice...practice...practice...million s of people cant be all wrong...keep at it ...bryan

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 20:09
Just to let you know that I bought the relaxation tape from the following site:

http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk/

I played it all last week when I was away and it helped to relax me and help me fall asleep! I also took another tape I have by a guy called Paul who is a spiritualist healer. I can get the details if anyone wants it - that is a great tape.

Another member, Shell, sent me her 3 relaxation tapes as well.

Any tape that makes you relax and feel chilled out is great. I personally prefer a male voice to a female but everyone has their preference.

Nicola

nlancashire
02-11-03, 13:02
I suggest you try www.hypnosisaudio.com

They do some great cassettes and cd's for self help with anxiety, self confidence, positive thinking, anxiety etc....

I can recommend them I use them regularly.

Good luck !

Neil

twister
02-11-03, 19:27
I'm a bit scared of self hypnosis tapes - does everyone think they are safe?

Meg
02-11-03, 20:10
Dear Twister

I'd start with a relaxation tape first if you're not used to it so you can experience how relaxation can be induced and feels so wonderful.

Hypnosis is just a step on from there. You are still totally in control - just profoundly relaxed.

Hypnosis is just relaxation - with a message !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nlancashire
02-11-03, 21:27
Twister

The hypno tapes are perfectly safe.

Try them !

Neil

benoo5
02-11-03, 21:54
emily,
when your sitting in a comfortable,chair,or sofa,and your mind wanders to nicer places,or you may think of happy times you had with your friends,or family...that is a form of self-hypnosis...relaxation tapes are no different,they are wonderful,please try them..trust me ..bryan

nomorepanic
02-11-03, 21:57
Hypnosis is just a state of deep relaxation. It is nothing like it is on TV when you have no idea what you are doing!

You will be fine with them

Nicola