PDA

View Full Version : Self Help For You Nerves question

boy
22-08-07, 23:48
Hiya, I've just started reading Calire Weekes' Self Help For Your Nerves and I noted specific breakdowns of anxiety symptoms. I'm wondering if people have found this book helpful for general health anxiety with any symptom? I will continue reading but I want to see if I've made a good choice of book.

manmoor
23-08-07, 00:15
Hi Boy,

I can personally say I purchased this book about 3 years ago and it still resides on my bedside table :D I am a big fan of Claire Weekes she has worked for me and helped me in my road to recovery with this health anxiety. Hope she does the same for you :hugs: xxx

Itzomi
23-08-07, 00:30
This book is awesome - probably THE best book out there!!!

The one I have is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves," but I think it's the same book, just a different title for us across the pond!

rosepetal
23-08-07, 10:09
I need to dig out my copy - of that and Clare Weekes. I really need them right now..

rosekay
23-08-07, 11:12
I don't think you can go wrong with Claire Weekes! I bought her book and the sequel years ago and still refer to them when things get tough. She helped so much. Hope it works for you too! Give it a go!
All the best
Rosekay

SammiB
23-08-07, 11:15
I've only just bought the books so i will let you know after i read them

hope all goes well for you

Gabby
23-08-07, 11:18
I just bought this and am finding it hard to read. Its quite emotional and i think i need something more scientific sounding but thats just personal preference. Has done lots of people lots of good. Hope it works for you

G

strawberrie
23-08-07, 12:08
hi boy, i know that this book has really helped a lot of people, but i cant say it did anything for me. I don't suffer from panic attacks so maybe this is why.:shrug:

With health anxiety, i think a lot depends on what illness you tend to focus on, she does explain a lot about symptoms, but they're not the sort of symptoms i worry about, so it didnt really help me.

you've got nothing to lose by reading it all, there is definitely some good stuff in there, but personally i found it too general to help specifically with health anxiety.

mag

sammie
23-08-07, 18:32
hi
i have just got my copy out and dusted it down i am in major setback and need all the help i can get:weep:

sammie

ps this book is my bible whe i am low

Alabasterlyn
23-08-07, 19:04
I've got all of her books, I think there are 5 in total. You can also buy DVD's and CD's which are great if your powers of concentration aren't too hot or you just want to listen while you are doing your housework or out in the car etc. I have always found them to be really great and whenever I feel bad I dig them out again.

delta
24-08-07, 01:39
I bought her book about 13 or 14 years ago and I can honestly say the book saved me, I was so scared about the symptoms I was experiencing and the book really helped me. I still suffer with anxiety all these years on but at least I understand the symptoms now. I still read the book now to put my mind at rest!

boy
26-08-07, 00:31
Ooer, the replies about it being too general were what I was afraid of. I was expecting a book that helped you cope whatever the symptom. I feel so envious of those people out there who have the anxiety symptoms it covers and find it to be their Bible. I was hoping it would be for me. I'll still plough on though but bah, anyone able to recommend any other books?

sammie
26-08-07, 11:31
hi boy

hope you dont mind me asking but what are your symptoms ? i only ask because i have a wealth of books nad may be able to recommend one for you

sammie

Lindalou64
26-08-07, 12:42
Hi Boy I Agree With Delta I Bought Her Books Yrs Back When I Was Agraphobic Im 75% Better Now.......but Some Books Are Good For One And One Might Not Relate..theres Many Out There Just Look Up Self Help Books Or I Believe Here There Is A Section That Recomends Books......wish Ya The Best........linda

lorac
26-08-07, 14:06
Had I not read this book I wouldn't be as far forward as I am today. I think Claire Weekes has helped me understand anxiety more than any doctor I have ever been to see and with that understanding I have been able to get back out there and start living a normal life, Im not fully cured yet but far better than I was a year ago and thats thanks to Claire Weekes.