PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I have SFI again

HullSimplibus
14-10-18, 20:22
Well, back to square one.

I went about a month with no worry about this, because my sleep appeared to be fine, apart from fragmented sleep on some nights, and there was even nights where I would go the full 9 hours and not wake up.

However, I started getting fragmented sleep again and now hypnagogic jerks, starting last night and I got it while having a nap this afternoon.

It is sometimes just a jerk, but other times I have dreams where someone hits me in the back and I go "HM" and jerk.

Also last night, I started speaking in my sleep, and I found myself doing it. I heard my friend talking. In the dream, I heard him say "Do you want something to drink?" and I said "Hot chocolate please" in the dream, however I awoke to myself saying "Chocolate".

I know it sounds hilarious and I am just worrying over nothing, but I am on edge again. Help me.

Kingdawson
14-10-18, 22:00
Help you with what? You've so far said nothing that is an issue (besides maybe liking chocolate a bit too much).

LouiseAndy
14-10-18, 22:05
I sleep like roughly 3 hours in average every night. I also have jerks really badly. I don't think to much about it, it's just how things have been for a long time now for me personally! I know it can be scary but I don't think it's that.

My ex boyfriend used to have to take sleeping tablets because he would litteraly get 2 hours of sleep every week. So!! I think you're gonna be just fine! Like someone said before the more you think about sleep and jerking the worse it is. I know I have issues with that sometimes as well!

HullSimplibus
14-10-18, 22:13
Thanks for the help.

However, I am now afraid of going to bed because of these jerks and that one night I will go to bed and not be able to sleep, and then never be able to sleep again and then go crazy and die.

Kingdawson
14-10-18, 22:17
Thanks for the help.

However, I am now afraid of going to bed because of these jerks and that one night I will go to bed and not be able to sleep, and then never be able to sleep again and then go crazy and die.

I get the jerks quite often. Loads of people do before sleep onset but anxiety does make them worse or more frequent.

Your thoughts are irrational based on your anxiety.

HullSimplibus
14-10-18, 23:22
I get the jerks quite often. Loads of people do before sleep onset but anxiety does make them worse or more frequent.

Your thoughts are irrational based on your anxiety.

I thought so..I usually got them before, just not as frequently and it didn't worry me as much.

I went to bed an hour ago, however the anxiety has completely kept me awake. And now I think I am not able to sleep not because of the anxiety, but that its SFI and i'm going to die from a lack of sleep in a matter of months.

I know its repetitive and is in a big cycle, but I feel helpless to stop it and a prisoner to my own mind.

Kingdawson
14-10-18, 23:30
I thought so..I usually got them before, just not as frequently and it didn't worry me as much.

I went to bed an hour ago, however the anxiety has completely kept me awake. And now I think I am not able to sleep not because of the anxiety, but that its SFI and i'm going to die from a lack of sleep in a matter of months.

I know its repetitive and is in a big cycle, but I feel helpless to stop it and a prisoner to my own mind.

Have you read about SFI? It always starts with massive cognitive issues before anything to do with insomnia. You don't develop SFI by not sleeping..that's not how it works.

nomorepanic
15-10-18, 00:04
Sounds normal to me with anxiety. I can't remember the last time I slept well and only get a few hours a night and this has been going on for over 20 years.

HullSimplibus
15-10-18, 00:56
Have you read about SFI? It always starts with massive cognitive issues before anything to do with insomnia. You don't develop SFI by not sleeping..that's not how it works.

Many people have told me about that but when I googled it like an idiot a few months back it said its the same as FFI just with no genetic link.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

Sounds normal to me with anxiety. I can't remember the last time I slept well and only get a few hours a night and this has been going on for over 20 years.

Hmm

I have never really been a good sleeper either, but it only started when the health anxiety did

Kingdawson
15-10-18, 10:13
Many people have told me about that but when I googled it like an idiot a few months back it said its the same as FFI just with no genetic link.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

Hmm

I have never really been a good sleeper either, but it only started when the health anxiety did

I think you're missing my point. Insomnia doesn't cause SFI...It's the other way around so even if you get zero hours sleep it doesn't turn into SFI. You would need to have a mutated gene and be one of 7-10 people in history to have that so insomnia that lasts years and years and years doesn't turn into SFI.

I'm taking a break from this site because I think it feeds my HA more. Yesterday night I had pretty bad sleep. The jerks were constant from about 5.30 because I started panicking...started thinking they were going to come...fearing sleep and yes they came. I know it was because I read this thread and it made me Google stuff etc etc. I know I'm fine(well touch wood i dont think i have any major illness is what i mean)but I need to get my HA under control which I haven't yet.

HullSimplibus
15-10-18, 13:26
I think you're missing my point. Insomnia doesn't cause SFI...It's the other way around so even if you get zero hours sleep it doesn't turn into SFI. You would need to have a mutated gene and be one of 7-10 people in history to have that so insomnia that lasts years and years and years doesn't turn into SFI.

I'm taking a break from this site because I think it feeds my HA more. Yesterday night I had pretty bad sleep. The jerks were constant from about 5.30 because I started panicking...started thinking they were going to come...fearing sleep and yes they came. I know it was because I read this thread and it made me Google stuff etc etc. I know I'm fine(well touch wood i dont think i have any major illness is what i mean)but I need to get my HA under control which I haven't yet.

Oh

I hope your health anxiety and sleep gets better and I am here to help if you need it

KK77
15-10-18, 13:44

Sorry to hear that, KD. I think you have a good understanding of your anxiety disorder and offer others sound advice. Maybe it's time you focused on yourself for a while though. I agree supporting people here can be triggering.

pulisa
15-10-18, 13:52
Sorry to hear that, KD. I think you have a good understanding of your anxiety disorder and offer others sound advice. Maybe it's time you focused on yourself for a while though. I agree supporting people here can be triggering.

I'll second that. Look after your own mental health, KD-don't let this forum drag you down.