PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaand I'd been doing so well!

fidgetninja
17-10-18, 15:28
I was having a really, really good stretch. I'm in Canada, and recently just got a family physician. To supplement that, I made an appointment with a naturopath because I'm just feeling blah. The naturopath requested recent past blood work, and I knew I'd gone to the ER in August for chest pain (esophagus and stress related), but they ran blood work to be safe.

I picked up a copy of my blood work from that visit at the hospital and was shocked that my white blood cell count was 15.7! The high end of normal is 11. My lymphocyte absolute, monocyte absolute, neutrophil absoltue, and basophil absolute all came back high as well. The lymphocyte, monocyte, neutrophil, and basophil percentages were all normal, as was the rest of the blood work.

At the time, I was having chest pain and feeling anxious. The ER doc said my labs looked good. I'm assuming if he were alarmed by these elevated counts he would've said something, even if it was for a condition that I was not there for, but I can't stop fearing it's indicative of leukemia or lymphoma.

My new family provider has ordered blood work as a baseline. I called the receptionist to let her know about this blood work from August with the high WBC, and she basically said to ask the ER physician if I was concerned (can't do that). I messaged my cousin who is a nurse practitioner who asked me if the test was for something specific and then told me not to be worried about it and it was probably a one time thing, but I cannot shake the fear.

Looking for any words to snap me out of it again and get me back on my good streak of not spending hours on Google (which I'd already started doing last night).

lofwyr
17-10-18, 16:45
Well, all that could be from a cold or virus too, any number of things honestly, can trigger an immune response, most of which are no big deal at all.

PotatoKing
17-10-18, 18:06
Funny thing - I have had multiple blood tests done over my high HA periods. If I did them in the early morning without eating, without running all day and working, after a good nights sleep, they would almost everytime be normal or close to normal.

But when the blood was taken in the afternoon or even after having a minor sore throat, my wbc's would go even higher than 15.

What I have been told many times is that blood results alone can mean practically anything and the only time when doctors are worried if they find abnormal cells, or the results are super low/super high.

So, chill out.

fidgetninja
17-10-18, 18:49
Funny thing - I have had multiple blood tests done over my high HA periods. If I did them in the early morning without eating, without running all day and working, after a good nights sleep, they would almost everytime be normal or close to normal.

But when the blood was taken in the afternoon or even after having a minor sore throat, my wbc's would go even higher than 15.

What I have been told many times is that blood results alone can mean practically anything and the only time when doctors are worried if they find abnormal cells, or the results are super low/super high.

So, chill out.

Thank you :D Appreciated. I've calmed down a bit. Sometimes I need a virtual smack to snap out of it.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Well, all that could be from a cold or virus too, any number of things honestly, can trigger an immune response, most of which are no big deal at all.

Thank you :D