PDA

View Full Version : Going quite well until bad news

CeeCeeCee
17-10-18, 23:38
It's several months since I have been on here but I'm having a bit of a bad tim. My sister in law has been diagnosed with bowel cancer and it has made me very sad and anxious and my HA is trying to get the better of me. I have a water infection and now my tummy is playing up again. I have been taking ibuprofen and apple cider vinegar to help the infection and this has possibly started the pains. However,my mind keeps on intervening in the logical thoughts and I worry it's going to happen to me too. I have IBS anyway, but I cope with that on a daily basis. It's unbelievable that I have pain and discomfort in the stomach and bladder area when a horrible diagnosis has been given to my SIL. We are very close and I am so scared for her and my brother. Surely this is IBS flaring up due to ibuprofen etc.

Fishmanpa
18-10-18, 01:13
I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL :weep: My BIL had it at age 40. He had a heck of a time but he beat it and is doing well over 10 years later. I hope treatment will do the same for her. I know from experience, they're pretty good at treatment nowadays.

It's perfectly understandable to be feeling the way you are. When a loved one gets ill like that, it causes stress and worry regardless of anxiety and it causes physical symptoms. When my wife was ill, I had a laundry list of stress related symptoms. I'm not a sufferer so I took it for what it was... Stress. I can imagine adding anxiety on top of the real life stressors and it's overload. All I can suggest is to find some ways to decompress. Whether it's exercise, music or even a good piece of chocolate ;) Take care of you so you can be there for your family.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
18-10-18, 01:15
Cider Vinegar can be very healing, but also very acidy, which could cause discomfort in the stomach, so use sparingly.
It is also quite common to mimic an illness with anxiety and think the worst scenario. I did that with my dad's parkinsons.
Drink plenty of fluids to rid your water infection and give yourself time to get over the shock of your sister n law.

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-18, 02:18
Sorry to hear about your SIL. I hope she gets all the help possible and makes a full recovery :hugs::flowers:

Think of it this way, stress makes anxiety worse and there isn't much more stressful than a sick loved one. It's bound to knock your emotions all over the place. That opens the door to anxiety having it's own way. But what about anyone who doesn't have anxiety? Wouldn't they also feel such emotions? And what if that non anxious person came down with a stomach bug? Wouldn't they feel rough because they were temporarily ill but also feel guilty about that because they had a loved one diagnosed with a serious illness?

So, perhaps be kind to yourself. Feeling some guilt in this situation is natural but there is no reason to berate yourself too harshly. What matters is being there for your SIL and from what you have said it's obvious she is your priority.

CeeCeeCee
18-10-18, 11:50
I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL :weep: My BIL had it at age 40. He had a heck of a time but he beat it and is doing well over 10 years later. I hope treatment will do the same for her. I know from experience, they're pretty good at treatment nowadays.

It's perfectly understandable to be feeling the way you are. When a loved one gets ill like that, it causes stress and worry regardless of anxiety and it causes physical symptoms. When my wife was ill, I had a laundry list of stress related symptoms. I'm not a sufferer so I took it for what it was... Stress. I can imagine adding anxiety on top of the real life stressors and it's overload. All I can suggest is to find some ways to decompress. Whether it's exercise, music or even a good piece of chocolate ;) Take care of you so you can be there for your family.

Positive thoughts

Thank you Fishman
What you say is right, I have had up and down times this week and the ups were definately when I wa more occupied or out doing stuff. I am so annoyed with myself to be back here as I have not been too bad with my HA of late.
It just seems like what has happened has acted as a reminder that this horrible illness does not discriminate, it hits all kinds of people, as you well know.
I know that you are right about anxiety making it all seem worse, it always does, it's a demon.
I am worried for my lovely sister in law, obviously but also my brother who I know is putting a brave face on for her and their grown up kids. We all feel powerless.

As always, I take on board what you say, always ogical and helpful.
Thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Cider Vinegar can be very healing, but also very acidy, which could cause discomfort in the stomach, so use sparingly.
It is also quite common to mimic an illness with anxiety and think the worst scenario. I did that with my dad's parkinsons.
Drink plenty of fluids to rid your water infection and give yourself time to get over the shock of your sister n law.

Thanks Carnation, I think you hit the nail on the head about it being too acidic. I used to take it daily but stopped. I had read it was good for infections and so took it in water but maybe used too much.
Yes, I do think your mind mimics symptoms and takes over your body. I'm doing my best to not allow it to do that but when the pain gets worse I get more worried and anxious.
Thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Sorry to hear about your SIL. I hope she gets all the help possible and makes a full recovery :hugs::flowers:

Think of it this way, stress makes anxiety worse and there isn't much more stressful than a sick loved one. It's bound to knock your emotions all over the place. That opens the door to anxiety having it's own way. But what about anyone who doesn't have anxiety? Wouldn't they also feel such emotions? And what if that non anxious person came down with a stomach bug? Wouldn't they feel rough because they were temporarily ill but also feel guilty about that because they had a loved one diagnosed with a serious illness?

So, perhaps be kind to yourself. Feeling some guilt in this situation is natural but there is no reason to berate yourself too harshly. What matters is being there for your SIL and from what you have said it's obvious she is your priority.

Thnks Terry, I hadn't thought about it like that. Being worried about such a trivial thing as an infection and sore tummy when bigger more important things are happening, it does make you feel a bit guilty, also puts it into perspective.

Thanks

Leslie735
18-10-18, 13:58
I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. She will be in my prayers!!! *hugs*

Hypomania
18-10-18, 15:06
Really sorry to hear about your sister in law.

Just to hopefully provide some reassurance, both of my grandparents on my mother's side were diagnosed with bowel cancer only a year apart from each other. It's only been about 2 or so years since their diagnoses, but they're both cancer free and healthy now. So it's definitely beatable.

CeeCeeCee
18-10-18, 19:27
I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. She will be in my prayers!!! *hugs*

Thank you so much Leslie :)

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Really sorry to hear about your sister in law.

Just to hopefully provide some reassurance, both of my grandparents on my mother's side were diagnosed with bowel cancer only a year apart from each other. It's only been about 2 or so years since their diagnoses, but they're both cancer free and healthy now. So it's definitely beatable.

Thank you, that is definitely helpful, hearing about successes. She has her scan tomorrow to see if it has spread, just hoping it hasn't and she can kick this horrible thing into oblivion!