PDA

View Full Version : Huge 'Jolt'

nbs1
23-08-07, 13:13
at work at the moment. as i have described in other threads my 'anxiety' relates to my heart and a fear that something is wrong due to constant chest pain etc.
i was stretching my arms back earlier and suddenly felt what i can only really describe as a huge jolt in my chest/upper stomach area. it happened so fast it was difficult to exactly place. it wasnt even really a pain, just like something big had happened and time 'slowed down' for a split second. that was about half an hour ago now.
it isnt the 1st time ive experienced it but it never gets any nicer.
has any1 else experience this and does anyone no what it is?! how can purely anxiety give you such a sensation?!
my head goes into overdrive when it happens thinking something must be wrong.
cheers for any help

SammiB
23-08-07, 14:20
Sorry that you didn't feel well earlier nbs1.

Its so very strange what anxiety can make you feel, i sometimes get a feeling as if someone has just punched me on the breatbone and i get winded,
I'm sure what you fell was just a mucles if you were stretching, that sometimes happens to me, but i know that its not really the pain or sensation that worries us its the what ifs, but i think that you will be ok, health anxiety is not fun and full of am i dying and what not.

so i hope that your mind is now at ease and that you feel better soon

(hugs)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

northern_sky
23-08-07, 14:27
I don't know how anxiety does it, but it does it! I've had it for nearly 4 months now :ohmy: and I still go jittery whenever I get a chest pain. I don't quite think I'm about to die anymore (well for not as long anyway) but the anxiety still kicks in. I'd do anything to get rid. :mad:

clickaway
23-08-07, 14:41
I used to get a jolt at night about 40 minutes after going to bed. It was as regular as clockwork, but went after a few weeks.

I hope yours goes too!

nbs1
23-08-07, 15:10
thanks for the replies guys. the suggestion of muscle spasms certainly makes a lot of sense. ill go along with that for just now! cheers!

DM
23-08-07, 16:46
Yeah mate, it's nothing to worry about. At least you know your heart is in good enough shape to give you such a 'boost' when it needs to!!

Imagine a car engine, it roars to life when injected with fuel. Think of Adrenaline and Oxygen as your fuel...

;)

nbs1
23-08-07, 17:21
[
Imagine a car engine, it roars to life when injected with fuel. Think of Adrenaline and Oxygen as your fuel...

;)[/quote]

good way to look at it mate! off for 2nd run in 2 nights tonight so will just have to see how it goes

weaser
24-08-07, 20:20
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if anything I say is out of line. I've experienced panic attacks. I've also experienced jolts like those described by nbs1 and clickaway. Both of the jolts were associated with physical conditions other than panic. I already sent a private message to clickaway mentioning that the jolting awake at night was a result of sleep apnea. The jolt in the chest that I experienced felt exactly like nbs1 described. It turned out that I had an irregular heartbeat. The good news is that my blood pressure was high, and since I got it under control everything's been fine. I recommend to nbs1 that you see a doctor unless you've experienced the same thing before and are certain it was caused by anxiety. I don't want to worry you. If you felt okay after you calmed down, it's probably nothing serious. I'm not a doctor so don't assume I know anything beyond my personal experience.

Just trying to help.

nbs1
24-08-07, 21:36
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if anything I say is out of line. I've experienced panic attacks. I've also experienced jolts like those described by nbs1 and clickaway. Both of the jolts were associated with physical conditions other than panic. I already sent a private message to clickaway mentioning that the jolting awake at night was a result of sleep apnea. The jolt in the chest that I experienced felt exactly like nbs1 described. It turned out that I had an irregular heartbeat. The good news is that my blood pressure was high, and since I got it under control everything's been fine. I recommend to nbs1 that you see a doctor unless you've experienced the same thing before and are certain it was caused by anxiety. I don't want to worry you. If you felt okay after you calmed down, it's probably nothing serious. I'm not a doctor so don't assume I know anything beyond my personal experience.

Just trying to help.

not really wot i wanted to hear but ive had an echo, multiple ecgs and alike and my blood pressure is normal. an irregular heartbeat would have been noticed by now. my doctor has told me he is 100% certain it is anxiety related and altho when it happens i worry about my heart i rationally no it has nothing to do with it.

weaser
24-08-07, 22:59
not really wot i wanted to hear but ive had an echo, multiple ecgs and alike and my blood pressure is normal. an irregular heartbeat would have been noticed by now. my doctor has told me he is 100% certain it is anxiety related and altho when it happens i worry about my heart i rationally no it has nothing to do with it.

I just wanted to make sure that you weren't ignoring a problem. If the doctor says you're fine, that's great. Anxiety often feels like a heart problem, so I'm sure what you experienced was only a moment of anxiety.

As for anxiety, I don't feel qualified to offer much advice. I take medication when I feel extreme panic and that works for me. I also started getting some heavy exercise a couple years ago and that has allieviated much of my concern about my heart. The first few times my heart started pounding during exercise I was sure something bad was going to happen. Now I enjoy the feeling.

Hopefully you'll find the right treatment for you. Just glancing around this site, it looks like there's a lot of good advice and support here.

Best of luck,
Weaser