PDA

View Full Version : Fear of developing retina tear/detatchment

LMAnomynus
18-10-18, 21:23
Hi all,

I know I have anxiety and I think it's most likely health anxiety. I used to worry about my heart a lot but at the moment I'm worried about my vision and my eyes. I was having visual static, seeing black (sometimes white) dots in the sky, and flashes of light in the corner of my eye. Long story short I had my eyes tested twice by an optician and everything was fine. But because of the health anxiety (that I think I most likely have) day by day I'm just driven crazy with worry and these what if thoughts. Tonight instead of a flash of light I had a flash of black so to speak that sort of swooped across my field of vision and then it disappeared. It lasted like a second but it has really scared me and I can't stop thinking about these what ifs, what if they missed something or what if something has changed since my eyes were tested. I've developed a fear of going blind and haven't slept in complete darkness for months. I'll always keep the TV or my laptop on so I can test I can still see when I wake up in the night. And I keep having constant doctor visits which is embarrassing so I'll usually try and hide it from people that I'm going back to the doctors again. Counselling is taking far too long, I've been waiting months and months since I've been referred and I haven't heard anything. I'm trying to see my college counceler at the moment but that's taking forever as well. It was manageable at first but at the moment I feel like it's interfering with my daily life and making me feel down. Does anybody have any advice or maybe some health anxiety tips? Thanks in advance.

Fishmanpa
18-10-18, 21:37
The best help is the help you give yourself. Check THIS (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) out.

Positive thoughts

jessygirl77
19-10-18, 04:21
I have sooooo been in this boat before ! It is very easy to over focus on vision.
You notice so many things you think it’s impisdiable that anxiety is keeping it going, but it really is. I would notice every little thing about my vision and I go through the same fear of what if I go blind !!!

.Poppy.
19-10-18, 15:11
My dad had retinal detachment. Not only does it not just go away, but it can often be fixed so no need to assume the worst. Beyond that you have been told twice everything is fine (and the docs can see if you are even at risk of something like that happening), so you've got all the reassurance you need.

What are you doing for your anxiety?

LMAnomynus
21-10-18, 23:49
I have sooooo been in this boat before ! It is very easy to over focus on vision.
You notice so many things you think it’s impisdiable that anxiety is keeping it going, but it really is. I would notice every little thing about my vision and I go through the same fear of what if I go blind !!!

Hi,

Thanks for replying. :) Good to hear that anxiety actually can cause all this. It's mad our brains can mess with us like that! Same with me, I think as soon as I notice something unusual, I'll be more prone to something else unusual until I end up at the doctors with a massive list of symptoms that I can't even get through all of them in one visit. Hopefully we and other people suffering from HA will find the help we need and recover.

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

My dad had retinal detachment. Not only does it not just go away, but it can often be fixed so no need to assume the worst. Beyond that you have been told twice everything is fine (and the docs can see if you are even at risk of something like that happening), so you've got all the reassurance you need.

What are you doing for your anxiety?

Hi,

Thanks for replying :) Hope your Dad is okay now. I think HA does this weird thing to me where I will leave the opticians or doctors feling reassured and relieved but the reassurance has a time limit if you will and I'll start overthinking things again after a couple of days. For my anxiety I find guided meditations on YouTube quite helpful.

.Poppy.
22-10-18, 14:46
Hi,

Thanks for replying :) Hope your Dad is okay now. I think HA does this weird thing to me where I will leave the opticians or doctors feling reassured and relieved but the reassurance has a time limit if you will and I'll start overthinking things again after a couple of days. For my anxiety I find guided meditations on YouTube quite helpful.

Meditating is great! I'm glad you've found something helpful.

FWIW, my dad is fine. I actually didn't even know that it had happened to him until he told me - guess I was too busy with college to pay much attention. :doh:

june
03-11-18, 22:52
i have just come on here tonight because i was terrified after having blinding flash of light so i could not see for a few seconds - it happened about an hour ago and my eyes are still a little light sensitive.
Having suffered severe anx and health anx for many years - i don't have to tell you how badly this has affected me.
reading your post has given me some hope as there is nothing i can do till doc opens on Monday - thank you xx