PDA

View Full Version : Swollen tonsil

penelopee
21-10-18, 00:30
Hi, I've had one swollen tonsil for 12 months now. I've been to several doctors some freak out but my regular doctor wasn't overly concerned. The past few months I have been getting more throat infections so thought it was time to get it checked by an ENT.
Now I'm stressing, he sent me for a Ct scan with contrast on my neck and chest to make sure it isn't anything 'suspicious' in his words.

I have my follow up appointment on Tuesday and I'm going through hell waiting and over thinking! What if it's tonsil cancer? What if I have lung cancer? (I used to smoke) the anxiety is unbearable!

I'm trying to rationalise in my own head. Surely if it was cancer the tonsil would have grown over 12 months? I would be sick or have some symptoms? I feel fine.

I did have a hpv positive result on my cervical screening a few months ago but was told it wasn't 16 or 18 the cancer causing ones but it's hard not to put the two together.

Any advice or experience appreciated as I'm generally not an anxious person usually. Oh and I'm 39 woman so not in the high risk from what I can obtain from google.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping someone can help step me through the wait..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jray23
21-10-18, 02:21
I had one swollen tonsil for a few months. My ENT recommended to get them removed (and I did) because I was also getting strep over and over. He told me that he would send the tonsil to be tested for cancer also, but he told me it was pretty rare and in fact he had not personally seen it in any of his patients (he was kinda young though).

So I'd say one swollen tonsil = possible, but probably rare chance of cancer. Obviously always better to check and see but probably not worth worrying about.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk