PDA

View Full Version : Bone Cancer

Dedre88
22-10-18, 14:30
Hi all,

I had been doing pretty well with keeping HA fears at bay, however they're back, this time I am worried about bone cancer.

It started a few weeks ago when my shoulder was aching after doing some DIY at home. Since then I've noticed pain in my shoulder and along top of my arm. I initially shrugged it off, but after being woke up a few times at night with the pain, the worry set in. I've been touching and prodding the arm and up until now it's not been tender, however today I've noticed some tenderness and I think I can feel a lump on the bone! I initially thought it could be a rotator cuff injury but now I'm pretty worried.

What's made things worse is on my other hand down by my wrist a visible, painless lump has appeared. A quick Google suggests it's a ganglion cyst.
Ordinarily I wouldn't fret too much, but because my shoulder / arm already had me worried I'm finding it hard not to obsess!

I've made an appointment to see doctors about both on Friday. However, in the meantime I'm feeling very anxious and struggling to focus on work and other things.

Not sure what I'm hoping for on here, but feeling quite anxious and hoping to work myself out of it!

Elen
22-10-18, 15:39
Logically, unusual activity, pain equals soft tissue injury.

I can take a while for this injury to heal.

Thinking bone cancer is a huge leap.

axolotl
22-10-18, 16:06
A quick Google

:lac:

Seriously, I've been in the "worried about bone cancer" rabbit hole. The fact is no non-anxious person has ever had a bit of an ache and thought of bone cancer.

If you poke and prod long enough you will find lumps and bumps. And you will make things hurt.

Good luck with the doctor, but you've not said anything there that will make anyone here think anything more than you're just a bit achey.

EKB
22-10-18, 17:45
There are so many non-sinister non-fatal easily-treated things that could be causing your discomfort. Good on you for getting it checked out, but don’t jump to cancer as the probable cause. Rest your shoulder and be kind to yourself.

Dedre88
22-10-18, 21:46
Thank you all for your comments. They have helped.

I have been for a long walk and feeling a bit better for it (although somehow managed to pull my hamstring! Haha).

Does anyone else feel particularly lonely when they're going through a bout of HA?

EKB
24-10-18, 00:41
Does anyone else feel particularly lonely when they're going through a bout of HA?

So much. I think it’s one of the loneliest things I’ve been through. I think that’s where this forum proved really valuable. While my family veered between worried and frustrated over my state of mind, and not entirely sure how to react or comfort me, I got some good advice and support here from people who understood what I was feeling.