PDA

View Full Version : From a long time lurker...

elitejcx
22-10-18, 21:24
I have health anxiety issues. I also have a history of epilepsy. I am aware that many posters on this forums think or suspect they may have neurological disorders and I understand that as I often do too. Everything from MS to Parkinson's.

I am also familiar with many of the symptoms that present themselves with neurological disorders. I've had a few due to my history of epilepsy and I often think I might be suffering from them when I'm not.

Drag foot - I used to have this prior to a seizure. It's unmistakable. You're foot just doesn't lift when you tell it to. I sometimes still think I have this, but I know enough that when you do have it, it is unmistakable. Your foot just won't lift. Thankfully mines was only momentary.

Slurring of speech - Once again I used to get this prior to seizures, but I never noticed this myself. It was always pointed out to me that I was slurring my speech and I thought that was nothing wrong with the way that I was talking.

Odd smells - I can never remember this smelling of smoking or burning. It was always a weird smell that I just couldn't put my finger on. Distorted and mixed smells is a way I would describe it.

Aura/Brain fog - This is a weird feeling that is very hard to describe, but once again completely unlike anything you think you may be suffering from. I can only describe it as an outer-body experience where everything feels unreal.

Right now I'm typing this convincing myself that I have some sort of neurological disorder, but I have this weird cognitive dissonance that I know that I don't because of my history of epilepsy. This is mostly a cathartic for myself because I am able to recall these symptoms to try and put my mind at rest and I also hope it puts some minds at rest on this forum.

axolotl
22-10-18, 21:30
Hi Elite, sorry you're feeling this way. I'm a little confused, but if you know these happen before a seizure why do you need another explanation for them?

elitejcx
22-10-18, 21:34
Because I still convince myself these days that I have them when I know that I don't. It's a very easy trap to fall into. It gets me down a lot. I genuinely fear that I will lose my drivers license, my home and my job if the seizures ever recur again. I also have a crippling fear that it might be something more serious.

I have found writing about my feelings and talking about my feelings has had a positive effect.