PDA

View Full Version : Disconcerting 'phone calls

graham58
25-10-18, 15:58
Hi. I'm on my own right now trying to recover from a virus which has been giving me dizzy spells, and twice this afternoon I've had someone ringing me up - once from a landline and once from a mobile - and not answering when I give my own number before putting the 'phone down. I can hear some kind of noise and bustle in the background at the other end but no voices.

I know a lot of people have had far worse over the 'phone, but has anyone else had this? And if so, how did they deal with it?

Thanks in advance,

Graham .

nomorepanic
25-10-18, 16:20
Not sure what you mean by "not answering when I give my own number".

They will be junk calls - I get them all the time. Ignore them.

graham58
25-10-18, 16:29
Not sure what you mean by "not answering when I give my own number".

They will be junk calls - I get them all the time. Ignore them.

Thanks for replying Nicola. What I mean is; I pick up the 'phone after I've heard it ring and I then hear noise in the background at the other end, and when I give my number there's a two or three second delay before the other person puts their 'phone down.

I am a bit anxious about receiving 'phone calls anyway but this doesn't help.

Fishmanpa
25-10-18, 16:37
I don't answer a call from a number I don't recognize and my phone actually tells me it's spam or an unknown number.

I'm curious as to why you would give your number to an unknown caller?

Positive thoughts

graham58
25-10-18, 17:06
I don't answer a call from a number I don't recognize and my phone actually tells me it's spam or an unknown number.

Good advice which I might follow in the future. Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you would give your number to an unknown caller?

Positive thoughts

I don't, but one problem I have (though I usually find it funny) is that my number is very similar to that of a local grocery wholesaler's except that two of the digits in the middle are reversed. So people sometimes ring me, thinking I'm that wholesaler, and try to place an order for groceries with me (which obviously I can't fulfil).

One lady, the manageress of a pub, even left a message on my answerphone for several lettuces, tomatoes and onions to make hamburgers with side salad! We had a nice chat about it when I rang her up to tell her of her mistake as she was grateful that I'd saved her the trouble of waiting for an order which wouldn't arrive.

Thanks for replying anyway, much appreciated.

Graham .

Carys
25-10-18, 17:09
Its a common way, or used to be, a common way in the UK to answer the phone Fish. You pick it up and then say your number.

To be honest, given that nuisance sales calls are going crazy at the moment - thats what it will most likely, if not 100 percent, be. Some are automated, and some are people at the other end, usually calling from outside the UK. I have about 2 a day at the moment and some days I get the same as you......pick it up, say hello, a bit of noise and dead. It just means the call hasn't gone through/been disconnected/your response wasn't correct for the other end lol Who knows ?! Don't get concerned about it....sometimes they try your number multiple times. Next time it rings, pick it up and say nothing and see what happens.......then when you hear they are selling something.....put the phone straight down lol

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

I've just seen your further reply. Well....if you have a similar number to the grocer....it could be that people are getting the wrong number and when they hear you give the number out that they HAVE called they hang up. Rude, but there we go lol

graham58
25-10-18, 17:15
You're right Carys; it's probably not wise for me to give my number but, bearing in mind that I get a lot of wrong numbers, it's a quick way for the person at the other end to tell whether or not they've called the right number.

Thanks for replying anyway. I've clearly got some thinking to do about this; maybe I'll get an answerphone and put a message on it saying that I'm not a greengrocer :).

Fishmanpa
25-10-18, 17:37
maybe I'll get an answerphone and put a message on it saying that I'm not a greengrocer :).

That makes sense then since the numbers are similar. It's a good move about the message... "Hi. You've reached Graham. I'm not Green Grocer and sorry, I don't deliver." :winks:

Concerning answering Carys, here in the US, unsolicited calls are beyond a nuisance. I get at least 3-4 a day and my wife gets at least a dozen and both numbers are on the National Do Not Call list. We're blocking numbers all the time.

Positive thoughts

Carys
26-10-18, 12:07
A global problem ey......:shrug:
I don't think it matters much that you are saying your number out looud. all modern phones, landline and mobile log the number that has been called anyway. So, you are just repeating what it on their phone - so don't worry about any 'safety' element of that as such.

Any more calls?

graham58
28-10-18, 16:03
A global problem ey......:shrug:
I don't think it matters much that you are saying your number out looud. all modern phones, landline and mobile log the number that has been called anyway. So, you are just repeating what it on their phone - so don't worry about any 'safety' element of that as such.

Any more calls?

Hi Carys, thanks for asking. No there haven't been any more since I last posted but I was out most of the last weekday (Friday). Good point about modern 'phones logging the number they're calling (so thanks for that too).

graham58
27-12-18, 13:58
A further update; I've only had one suspicious call over the Christmas break, and that was on Christmas Eve. Maybe the callers are on their Christmas break too?

Merry Christmas everybody especially those who who have helped with advice and support above.

Darksky
27-12-18, 14:04
Probably are on their Christmas break. Definately cold callers...they are a bloody nuisance to put it bluntly.

When you put the phone down do a 1471 and make a note of the number. Then block it! They won't be able to bother you again. I have a list on my phone as long as your arm of blocked numbers and it gets added to all the time.