PDA

View Full Version : Brief low oxygen sats in the ER?

peachy123
26-10-18, 00:27
I had to go to a&e twice last week for chest pain and dizziness. Each time they initially took my oxygen with the pulse oximeter, it was 100%. After an hour or so of laying on the bed, it was dipping down to 86 or so, it even got as low as 76 and the machine started beeping away loudly! The nurse came in and I asked her why it was going so low. She suggested maybe it was falling off my finger. I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I was keeping still and had the oximeter in place. Took it off, put it back on, still in the late 80's. After a few minutes it slowly climbed back up to 100%. I saw it going up 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, etc. If it had been falling off my finger, wouldn't it have gone straight back to 100 again? It happened the second time I went to a&e again. I told the different nurse and she also suggested I had placed it wrongly. But it was firmly on my finger. When the doctor came in, it was back up at 100% again.

My d-dimer came back a little high so they did a CT of my chest which they said came back fine. But I'm really confused as to why my oxygen levels dipped like this. I was breathing normally at the time too. Now I'm anxious about this :(

jray23
26-10-18, 01:26
The trained medical professionals saw it happen and are not worried. Why should you be?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk