PDA

View Full Version : Do you sleep ALOT during depression?

forbiddenxo
26-10-18, 07:07
I’ve always been one too oversleep (one of the reasons I had to be homeschooled) and one of the reasons why I am now self employed as making it anywhere one time is a challenge. I’ve been in a severe HA depression mostly for the past month or so and find myself sleeping up to 14 hours sometimes 10 or 12. When I wake up I’m still LAZY and tired !!! It’s like I can’t wait to go to sleep to dream about something good and just shut my mind off from thinking all these negative thoughts. I see a lot of people saying they can’t sleep cause of anxiety and depression but I’m the opposite. I wanna stay under my covers 24/7 :( is this normal for depression?

.Poppy.
26-10-18, 14:24
Yes - loss of energy is very common. I had so much trouble getting out of bed, it was just preferable to be asleep.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. xx

forbiddenxo
26-10-18, 22:56
Thank you for the reply! I see so many people having depression and trouble sleeping. I’m like the opposite lol. I hope to be back on track soon ! Thank u

SarahNah
27-10-18, 00:16
I remeneber when I was younger and first dealing with depression, I would sleep for nearly eighteen hours a day! Yet I would be constantly exhausted. I know how hard it can be! Hope you find a better sleeping pattern soon x! I know how hard it can be!

forbiddenxo
27-10-18, 00:36
Thank you so much. Feels better knowing this is common for some people. I’m going to try to find something to do during the day and sleep no more than 7-8 hours starting tomorrow. Let’s see how it goes :/ I know I’ve always been this way but back then I didn’t know I was depressed now I know for a fact I’m depressed.

AntsyVee
27-10-18, 03:22
People require different amounts of sleep. There are some people who are satisfied with 5 hours a night, and others who need 9 or 10 to feel rested. I'm one of those people.

But when I get depressed, it's insane. I never feel rested. I can sleep 16 hours in a day...kind of like a cat. And I lose all my motivation, and it's hard for me to even get up out of bed.

forbiddenxo
27-10-18, 03:52
Yes Antsy!!! That’s my same issue literally zero motivation. Like I want to stay under my comfortable sheets all day and night and forget about all my problems. Yet I wake up even more sleepy.

AntsyVee
28-10-18, 01:15
Yep, for me medication helps.

forbiddenxo
28-10-18, 01:50
I’ve been thinking about it but I’m scared to. It seems like people go through a lot just to find a med that agrees with them. I wish I had a magic pill that would make me happy fast lol

Tyke
28-10-18, 04:45
Yes it certanly makes me tired all the time. It really messes up my sleeping patterns as I can easily fall asleep at the wrong times and then can't sleep when I feel I really should be sleeping when everone else is. I'm worst for falling asleep in front of the telly. I often miss the ends of programmes because I just can't stay awake long enough!

Pamplemousse
28-10-18, 18:25
In the recent past I have gone to bed when severely depressed just to try and shut it out. There's something comforting and reassuring about being in bed - assuming your mind will shut up and let you get to sleep.

AntsyVee
28-10-18, 20:14
I’ve been thinking about it but I’m scared to. It seems like people go through a lot just to find a med that agrees with them. I wish I had a magic pill that would make me happy fast lol

Yes, sometimes you do have to go through a lot of meds just to find the right one. But once you find the right one, it's worth it.

It's like changing anything with your body. We would all like a magic pill to lose weight too, but it doesn't exist. So you have to eat better and exercise. Or take asthma. Many people have to try several inhalers and med combinations to find the right one that relieves their symptoms best. Unfortunately, it's just how it it. The sooner you start working on it, the less time it will take.

forbiddenxo
29-10-18, 05:49
Yes that’s so true. I’m going to look into it for sure. If and when I find something that works I know I would be so much better. All I need is just motivation and a more relaxed mind. Everything is trial and error

AntsyVee
30-10-18, 04:45
When I got really depressed, I used to put motivational signs on my ceiling above my bed to get me moving

forbiddenxo
31-10-18, 22:54
Thank you everyone who responded! You guys made me understand that this is a NORMAL symptom of depression. I really was thinking I was maybe even sick or something by being able to climb out of bed and all. Today has been very very productive for the first time in A month of being in bed every single day sleeping 10 + hours and just laying there. Did my hair nails cleaned my house left the house to buy a healthy salad :) and I’m hoping to be in bed by 11pm and wake up tomorrow morning motivated again like today :) thanks honestly this helped me ! I’m 24 and I haven’t accomplished anything in life yet cause i love to lay in the damn bed all day and have bad anxiety about everything :( I don’t wanna continue the cycle !!!!!! I’m sick of it! Send me positivity to continue in this mind frame and I’m doing the same for everyone here on NMP! x