PDA

View Full Version : A friend dilemma...

Spas1948
26-10-18, 19:01
Hey guys,

I'm off camping in July with my hubby and a couple of friends are also going. I have a friend who is bipolar and decided to invite her and her partner after a rough patch - I felt it'd do her good. She went ahead and booked tickets for the event we're going to.

She is now saying that her partner can't go due to an injury and said she may come alone. I advised that this isn't ideal as we'll all be off having some own time over the few days.

I'm really building this up to the point that I'm really anxious about the whole thing. My hubby and I like our own time as do our friends so I'm nervous she'll want to attach herself to us. She has mentioned bringing a friend and I'm also worried about that, what if they don't mingle well with the rest of us and I'm left with a lasting impression.

What would you guys advise?

I felt being honest is best so I told her we would be doing a few things over the weekend but it sort of went over her head. She has said she may not come as she still isn't driving. Who knows!

Please offer any advice on how you'd deal with this

.Poppy.
26-10-18, 19:27
First off, how long is the "alone time"? Are you all camping together in tents? Eating together?

I'm single and do things with my friends that are in relationships tons of times. Yes, sometimes they need time to themselves but I can occupy myself during those times without issue. Is there a reason her and her friend can't just go hiking or swimming or something while you guys are having alone time? If it's only for a few hours anyway I don't see the issue.

I think, and don't take this the wrong way, but often when you go on trips with friends you have to be a lot more flexible than if it were just you and your SO going. It's reasonable to spend some time alone, but it's not crazy for your friend to want to hang out with you because you are friends, going as friends on this trip. Most people understand that and I think your other friends and your SO will be fine with having a bit of flexibility with others that join in on the trip.