PDA

View Full Version : Fear of cancer back again

Jessicasmummy
27-10-18, 11:58
So with the stand up to cancer back on tv last night i'm back to being extremely terrified of getting cancer and leaving my kids. I had such a good few months not worrying and this has triggered it. I'm 30 years old and no that my risk is higher in 30s than 20s. But how much higher is my risk? Help someone before i make myself ill with this anxiety again

Mostu
28-10-18, 15:58
Take a deep breath. You're only 30. The likelihood of you getting cancer at this age is incredibly small. Also, many cancers that occur at your age, are cancers with excellent prognosis(thyroid, skin etc). There's really no reason to worry about cancer if you're not having any persistent symptoms. Consider psychological evaluation - psychotherapy or anti anxiety medication can make you overcome your problems and enjoy the life that you have.

Carys
28-10-18, 16:41
But how much higher is my risk?That's actually totally impossible to answer - cancers come in a huge variety of forms, and in different body areas. Some things people are more genetically susceptible to, some are related to life-style choices and some other health conditions, some are just 'bad luck'...some age-related, some gender biased, some hormone related....etc etc etc etc for every single cancer type.....some a combination of all the factors.

How much would it actually help you to know anything about your probability and risk, really? Come 40, will this make you even more worried ? Come 50 will you be so worried that you can no longer function? Come 60....you get the idea. You could live to 110, despite having a 20 percent chance of getting lung cancer and a 15 percent chance of getting breast cancer.

Why you spend your whole life weighing up risk and being in abject fear, only to not even live your life? All any of us can do in my opinion is to live our lives in the best health we can, make sensible (but not obsessive) health choices and hope that we are one of the lucky ones to never get a cancer. We may not be one of the lucky ones - however - we ARE lucky enough to be living in a time in history where treatment for cancer is advancing and becoming more effective day by day.

I find it strange at times that people spend so much time focusing on cancer and the probability, when their probabilty/risk of having a serious accident may be higher. By the way, I'm not saying thats going to happen! but we are very good as a species at highlighting certain things that we perceive as risks, but ignoring the everyday things that might hold a higher risk. Do you think 'I could choke'? everytime you eat? Nope.

Nobody can tell you that in your lifetime you will not get a cancer form. You might, just as each and every one of us might, but you can't spend your life tearing yourself apart over the 'maybe'....as it also might never happen. Instead of worrying, and worrying yourself sick, why not support the charities and think of those who are currently going through their treatment and the psychological impact of a cancer diagnosis. You have your health, and the chances are you will continue to do so.

pulisa
28-10-18, 20:53
Well said, Carys.

Fishmanpa
28-10-18, 21:06
This post is from 2014 (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=163691). I think it's time you addressed the real illness.

Positive thoughts