PDA

View Full Version : Stomach worries

superworried
27-10-18, 13:50
Afternoon everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. :byebye:

I’ve held off from posting for so long because I was anxious about people replying for some reason, but finally plucked up the courage since I’ve had a pretty bad health anxiety breakout this month. Let me start my saying I’m a 36 year old gay guy, who doesn’t drink or smoke and tries to stay fit at the gym – a typical millennial gay guy, some would say!

It all started at beginning of October when I began to get discomfort under my ribs on the left hand side. I thought it was just me sleeping awkwardly (I need a new bed, to be honest – I’ve just ordered one of those Otty beds) but I then started to feel bloated and discomfort in my abdomen directly under the ribs too and had a lot of bad wind, then about a week later I started to get loose stools as well.

Now the pain under the stomach wasn’t constant, I’d have the odd day where there was no real pain, but then it would return, but this past week it seems to have been pretty regular along with some frequent trips to the loo!

Plucked up the courage to go the doctors, who gave me a prod and said take hyoscine butylbromide to help with my cramps and drop off a stool sample as well.

It certainly helped with my stomach aching, but I was still passing soft stools.

Now I’ve been trying to think rationally about this as best I can even though I have health anxiety and come to the following conclusions:

Why I shouldn’t think it’s bad
No red flags – There’s no blood in my stools, I’m not vomiting, no massive weight loss (lost between 3-4 lbs in total)

Pain isn’t constant. It varies – that’s a good thing, right?

My age range (35 is still young, I hope?!)

The fact that I suffer with health anxiety which can obviously exasperate symptoms.

Now why I think it’s bad...

Been around for 3 weeks now

Whereas previous health anxiety attacks have caused my stomach issues to move all about the area, these have stayed in the same area for the most part (underneath the left ribs, as well as behind them and up towards the breast)

Read stories where these symptoms (regardless of the lack of red flags) have ended up being something serious

The hyoscine butylbromide has helped with my stomach cramps a little, but hasn’t cured them.

Not sure what I’m hoping from here – but it felt better to write it down since my boyfriend has told me to just ignore it and it’ll go, but that’s easier said then done when you have these physical symptoms. Especially when you think you may have something like bowel, colon, pancreas problems

Thanks all. Have a great weekend :yahoo:

vicky23
27-10-18, 16:24
Hi :welcome:

I'm glad you plucked up the courage to post as sometimes even just the act of that in itself is helpful.

Obviously we can't offer any real reassurance other than what you've already given yourself in terms of why it's unlikely to be serious. But sometimes it's helpful to see how other people struggle around the same issue. If you search for stomach issues in this forum you'll see just how many of us!

Best wishes

nomorepanic
27-10-18, 17:07
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

nomorepanic
27-10-18, 17:07
It could just be IBS.

superworried
27-10-18, 18:30
Hi :welcome:

I'm glad you plucked up the courage to post as sometimes even just the act of that in itself is helpful.

Obviously we can't offer any real reassurance other than what you've already given yourself in terms of why it's unlikely to be serious. But sometimes it's helpful to see how other people struggle around the same issue. If you search for stomach issues in this forum you'll see just how many of us!

Best wishes

Hi Vicky! :bighug1:

It was because I'd seen a few posts recently that had similar symptoms to mine that I felt I could post - it showed I wasn't alone. Just got to sort out the symptoms now :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

It could just be IBS.

That's what by boyfriend keeps saying.

My stomach hasn't been too bad this afternoon, to be honest. However, I've been having awful backache, right in the middle. Do you get wind and stuff that far up the back?

superworried
28-10-18, 10:47
morning everyone :shades:

So having gone to bed feeling ok (hot bath seemed to sort out my back) I woke up this morning with a really intense stomach ache on my left hand side - by far the most intense one I've had since this began.

I had a tablet of buscopan and had to run to the toilet and have a bowel movement which seemed to calm it down (managed to go back to bed and get another hours sleep) but this has really freaked me out now :unsure:

Midnight-mouse
28-10-18, 10:58
morning everyone :shades:

So having gone to bed feeling ok (hot bath seemed to sort out my back) I woke up this morning with a really intense stomach ache on my left hand side - by far the most intense one I've had since this began.

I had a tablet of buscopan and had to run to the toilet and have a bowel movement which seemed to calm it down (managed to go back to bed and get another hours sleep) but this has really freaked me out now :unsure:

I get a lot of intense stomachaches in the mornings, the way that I rationalise is in general IBS comes on as you wake/after you wake as opposed to waking you. - my mum does get woken by hers occasionally but not all to often. I have been practicing breathing through the pain and calming my body and have managed to avoid the run to the bathroom and painful movements quite often now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superworried
28-10-18, 16:50
Hi Midnight Mouse (great name!)

It's been tough this afternoon. Not had this much discomfort at all since this began which put me in a panic.

Didn't help that I was reading online and that the red flags I talked about in the first post are when you're in serious trouble and likely not able to be cured.

Fishmanpa
28-10-18, 17:22
Didn't help that I was reading online...

Dr. Google strikes again! :lac: You and thousands more on this site have stomach issues due to anxiety. Treat the root of the problem and you help treat the symptoms associated with it.

Positive thoughts

superworried
28-10-18, 18:46
Dr. Google strikes again! :lac: You and thousands more on this site have stomach issues due to anxiety. Treat the root of the problem and you help treat the symptoms associated with it.

Positive thoughts

Hi Fish :yesyes:

I know I shouldn't have done it (I'm now in an anxious mess) but when you're feeling pants on the sofa your mind wanders... :doh:

What makes me worried is that I woke up with the pain, so it wasn't like I woke up, thought about my problems and then it started hurting. :huh:

Midnight-mouse
29-10-18, 07:36
What makes me worried is that I woke up with the pain, so it wasn't like I woke up, thought about my problems and then it started hurting. :huh:

Honestly I’m in this exact same situation right now, I’ve woken with the worst feelings in my stomach and bowel. The cramps are very intense and hot- enough to break me out in a sweat. This really isn’t abnormal for my ibs, and so I’m ignoring it and practicing some calming techniques for my body allowing the muscles to stop tensing and stop going into spasm it’s passing, but only if I focus on keeping things relaxed.

I understand your worries especially if these types of symptoms are new to you but it is extremely common especially among people that are already predisposed to feeling anxious and tense - the body reacts to these feelings even if we’re not thinking about them.

How are you feeling today?

superworried
29-10-18, 09:41
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply and checking up on me

Still not good today. Taken 2 buscopan this morning but I'm still getting cramps underneath the ribs. These were helping earlier in the week.

Aussie11
29-10-18, 11:09
Having similar sounding symptoms to you. It's hard to accept that it could just be IBS but seems quite likely based on so many others having similar symptoms. When I've had similar issues in the past and had ultrasounds, I've been told my body is filled with a lot of gas! From what others describe as well it could likely be that gas causes pain right up in the back as well.

superworried
29-10-18, 14:20
Hi Aussie, thanks for posting :)

Fingers crossed it's something that isn't serious. I've managed to get an emergency doctors appointment this afternoon, so hopefully I get some idea of what's going on. Which would be great, as I've been feeling quite lightheaded this afternoon and had some upper back pain.

superworried
29-10-18, 20:28
Back from the doctors

Had another feel around in the stomach and said it all felt soft. Has prescribed me some stuff to reduce the acid in my belly and sending me for a full blood work up.

:)

superworried
30-10-18, 12:26
Blood tests this morning - taking a look at kidney, liver, pancreas functions etc.

Funnily enough, my anxiety levels have been lower since my meeting with the doctor and I've not been feeling nowhere near as bloated today.

However, I've now started to get really sore back ache on the right hand side. Which is worrying

superworried
30-10-18, 22:34
Bloating still down, but had awful backache today.

Eurgh, this is miserable since I"m fearing the worst.

Mom2FourKiddos
30-10-18, 23:21
Did you have your tests done? When can you expect the results? How are you feeling now?

Just to relate, I have had identical symptoms off and on for the past year. Mine are just on the right hand side. All over where my ascending colon is. Sometimes I wake up and it's already hurting (more of a light crampy, pinching type pain) and sometimes it happens after I bend over, or use the muscles on that side.

It just seems like a constant reminder that something is going on. I've had two CT scans, loads of blood work, a HIDA scan for my gallbladder, ultrasounds on my female organs and all have come back in the clear.

Anxiety is a B. Sometimes it does feel better to read someone else has identical symptoms. Not so lonely to deal with. I hope hearing that I suffer from this too helps a bit?

superworried
31-10-18, 11:23
Hey M24K :)

I had my blood taken yesterday, going to ring the surgery later to see if they've come back yet.

It helps a little bit to hear someone else is having the same sort of feelings. My worry is that in previous HA situations, once I've seen the doctor and been told it looks OK, everything has sort of calmed down. This time around, because everything sort of seems to be in the same place (left ribs and around back) it makes me fear that there is something wrong this time.

I've been doing regular Head Space meditations which have helped a little, but I'm still super anxious.

superworried
31-10-18, 22:06
Got my blood test results back today. All clear according to the receptionist.

Which is great, except I'm not feeling any calmer. My ribs are still aching and I've been really light headed tonight. Something would have shown up in the test if there was something wrong me, right?

Mom2FourKiddos
31-10-18, 22:13
Yes!! Something would have been off somewhere. That's GREAT that you got good results back. Part of the health anxiety BEAST is not believing our positive and good results. So try to take a deep breath and enjoy the good news. I'm very happy for you. :)

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Also, we don't realize just how much we tense up certain muscles and focus on the pains from that when we are in a bout of health anxiety. Just like working out in a gym and using muscles that haven't been used in a while, it takes a bit for them to not be sore anymore.

Hard to do when there is so much stress and anxiety based on the pains we feel, and then more tension from the fear of the pains, and then more pain....and the cycle goes round and round.

superworried
31-10-18, 22:52
Thanks M2FK :)

I'll try and relax and hopefully this lightheadedness and stuff goes. A hot bath and some meditation I think :)

Polkatronixx
01-11-18, 14:21
Thanks M2FK :)

I'll try and relax and hopefully this lightheadedness and stuff goes. A hot bath and some meditation I think :)

Just wanted to let you know that I went through something similar recently. It was the right side (and no back pains), but not too different. My ribs felt odd and I had some pains. I have been told I have IBS and have been dealing with that for years.

I ended up having a check up, blood work and an ultrasound. Nothing. And the discomfort and everything went away. I assume a lot of it was really just me focusing on it.

My problem - and possibly yours, too - is that I will develop a health problem (or think I have), fixate on it and worry incessantly. Invariably, I get it checked out and it's nothing. I then feel better for a short time until I discover a new 'problem' to fixate on.

That's not to say there isn't an issue. It's just that when you're looking for a problem, it's surprisingly easy to convince yourself that you do have one.

superworried
02-11-18, 18:24
Hey Polka. Usually I'd agree with you. In the past, when I've had health anxiety with something and my doctor has told me I've been fine, it's gone away. This time around it's different as the symptoms haven't really gone - even after the blood tests. Perhaps it's because the symptoms are located in the same place most of the time, compared to previous times when the aches have been across the whole abdomen.

I began to eat better after hearing the test results the other day and put some of the lost weight back on, but today has been difficult for me. Been having bad stomach cramps and bloating for most of the afternoon.

It hasn't helped that I've began to get a twitching eye too. Which I've never had before.

superworried
03-11-18, 15:24
Went to the gym today since I've not been in a week.

Whilst there I was getting discomfort under my left ribs at the start of the session, but it seemed to lessen a little as it went on.

Now, 30 minutes after the session, my stomach is gnawing and aching :(

EDIT: The only positive I can take from today that I had a BM this morning that was completely normal

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Sorry to keep updating, but I'm freaking out right now.

Attach is still aching and I'm currently really light headed. Terrified something is up. Currently at a dinner with family and having to go to loo to try and calm down.

Fishmanpa
03-11-18, 16:22
I'm freaking out right now..... Terrified something is up

Panic attack.... Reading your thread, you've wrapped tighter than a '59 humbucker!

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

superworried
03-11-18, 16:55
Hey Fish, thanks for replying.

Can panic attacks last days though? I've been light headed on and off for a few days now :(

superworried
04-11-18, 19:10
Hey everyone :)

Been a bit better today. Barely any light headed issues and for the most part my stomach wasn't aching at all - that was until this evening.

For the past couple of hours I've had stomach ache in my upper left side, behind me ribs etc. but also the odd ache now in my right side. I know a few people have suggestion IBS, but what worries me that it's not that is that my toilet habits are now a lot more regular and normal looking.

Fishmanpa
04-11-18, 19:25
Keep in mind...

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

Positive thoughts

superworried
05-11-18, 23:43
Trying my best Fish :)

Had my doctor's appointment this afternoon. Went through my blood test results (all came back good), but sending me for another stool sample and a Helicobacter test but can't get in for a couple of weeks - although this has made me worried about gastric cancer.

Anxiety level hasn't been too bad today, but spiking tonight as I've felt incredibly full in stomach area and bloated. Hasn't helped that I've started to develop a cough - logical side of my brain and partner have said it's because I had a cold over a weekend, but my worry is that the discomfort I've had in my ribs all this time could be a reason for it.

superworried
07-11-18, 22:17
Evening everyone :)

Went to the doctors on Monday, who is sending me for another stool sample and a Helicobacter test in two weeks time.

I've been reading through all the online anxiety courses on this site and they've really helped. I've been a lot more relaxed these last two days and found that a lot of my symptoms have gone too - rushing to the toilet, stomach cramps etc. which is great.

However, I've still got the symptoms that started this whole high anxiety episode - aching in left ribs and a slight bloating underneath them, which I wouldn't be too worried about, except it's now been a month :(

superworried
11-11-18, 22:29
Evening everyone.

Had a really good week with my anxiety, but now having a bit of a spike and just looking for a bit of support.

Stomach issues have all been good since my last post, which in turn made my anxiety low too.

However, I'm still getting aches in my left ribs. It moves between certain areas in the left rib and because it's not tweaking or anything when I move, it's making me worried and sending my anxiety towards the bad thoughts - lung or bone problems that begin with the letter C -_-'

I've been so tired these past few days too, it's really scary.

superworried
17-11-18, 11:29
My anxiety was a lot lower at the start of this week (the headspace app has been really, really helpful) but these last 48 hours have been really bad.

Still getting aches in my left ribs, mainly in the lower two/three that varies in intensity but also moves around the back. I'm also getting a mild gnawing in my stomach in the centre, as well as a sort of 'swollen' feeling on the left hand side on my body in stomach area - which it makes it uncomfortable to sit in certain positions.

My toilet trips have got a lot better, no longer loose like they were weeks ago. But now I'm really scared I've got stomach cancer :(

Mark1974
17-11-18, 11:53
I've been having stuff like this for the last 4 or 5 weeks and it go so bad I ended up in hospital with it (no toilet trouble, weight loss or appetite problems though, just griping pain under both ribs) - ultrasound, blood, urine and stool samples all normal and I'd already had a gastroscopy as far down to the duodenum and that was normal as well (apart from my already diagnosed hiatus hernia) - that should be enough for most people to stop being worried, yet still I have nagging doubts (which is probably causing the pain in the first place, which isn't constant thankfully)

superworried
17-11-18, 18:13
Hi Mark, good to know all the results came back negative. I hope you're coping now :)

I wouldn't be too worried myself except this time round the symptoms seem localised in one area rather than all over the place in previous health anxiety episodes.

Discomfort in left side of stomach, left ribs and chronic tiredness has made me worry this time around something is up. So far I've only had blood and stool samples which have come back ok, but worried that the longer this goes on without my doctors sending me for more extensive tests, the longer I leave it if something serious is up.

Mark1974
17-11-18, 18:19
I've had two ultrasounds since June and the only thing they found were two simple cysts on my kidney and one on my liver, but oddly enough I'm not worried about those only the ongoing abdominal discomfort.

Fishmanpa
17-11-18, 20:34
My anxiety was a lot lower at the start of this week (the headspace app has been really, really helpful) but these last 48 hours have been really bad.

Still getting aches in my left ribs, mainly in the lower two/three that varies in intensity but also moves around the back. I'm also getting a mild gnawing in my stomach in the centre, as well as a sort of 'swollen' feeling on the left hand side on my body in stomach area - which it makes it uncomfortable to sit in certain positions.

My toilet trips have got a lot better, no longer loose like they were weeks ago. But now I'm really scared I've got stomach cancer :(

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

The fact that the symptoms have waned as you've worked on your anxiety indicates it's something much more benign and shows just how much anxiety has an affect on your body. You're being checked out and they'll figure out what's up :)

Positive thoughts

superworried
19-11-18, 22:23
Evening everyone. My anxiety has been ok over the past week as I said before. I've not felt anxious, even though I know my symptoms have still been present. However, for the last 24 hours I've had awful stomach cramps and bloating. Mostly in the same area it's always been for the past 5 weeks, but had the odd cramp in the lower right as well. Also had terrible wind at the same time, which is new for these symptoms.

I've just taken two buscopan, which seems to have calmed it down a little - but I'm still feeling awful discomfort in the stomach area on the left hand side.

It's really scary :(

superworried
23-11-18, 12:52
Went for a few more tests this morning - find out results in two weeks.

Had a bereavement in the family this morning that has thrown my anxiety into overdrive. Trying to be there for family members who need my support, but it's tough as it's made me worry about myself - which makes me feel awful as I feel so selfish doing that

Dave_Lister
23-11-18, 19:31
I'm going through he same thing right now, and it isn't fun. We lost a family member a couple of weeks ago to cancer, and it has really made me irrationally wonder about my symptoms.

superworried
24-11-18, 09:34
Hi Dave, sorry for your loss. I hope your family are coping as well as can be during this difficult time.

The person we lost yesterday was my partner's father. Totally out of the blue and completely devastating.

I'm now worried for my own health as I want to be there for my partner for as long as possible.

Hypomania
24-11-18, 18:03
Went for a few more tests this morning - find out results in two weeks.

Had a bereavement in the family this morning that has thrown my anxiety into overdrive. Trying to be there for family members who need my support, but it's tough as it's made me worry about myself - which makes me feel awful as I feel so selfish doing that

Hey man, sorry to hear about the death of your partner's father. My grandfather passed just over 2 months ago, so I know what it's like to try the exhausting balance between dealing with your own anxiety as well as trying to support others.

I'm really glad you keep us updated on your situation. A lot of posters tend to drop off after a while and don't really come back, or they move on to a completely different worry.

This thread sounds very similar to what I'm going through, except on my right side. Started with a call from my doc about slightly abnormal bloods (which are now normal since a retest) and then I started thinking my liver was swollen,and wouldn't you know it, I develop a feeling of tightness or fullness (no pain, but just a weird awareness of the area) under my right ribs. I've also had multiple doc visits and an ultrasound (came back clear), yet the sensation still persists, and I've started to develop some cramping, bloated feelings, and sometimes nausea (not intensely, like needing to throw up, I guess just a queasy feeling in my stomach). Also had some loose stools on and off.

Sounds like we're in the same boat here, and shows how even new anxiety symptoms can pop up and make us even more convinced that something serious is going on.

What new tests did you have done?

superworried
24-11-18, 23:44
Hi Hypo, thanks for taking the time to write your post. It's great appreciated :)

The latest test is a helicobacter test. I had to blow into a test tube, then have a special drink with a bottle or orange juice and then take the test again. Meant to see if there are any viruses in the gut I think.

If this comes back negative I'm hoping the doctors are willing to move forward with something like an ultrasound , as theyve already done stool and blood tests.

It's been a tough couple of days.

Clarice1
25-11-18, 22:20
Hello,
I hope your tests come back ok.
I have had similar gastric problems last three weeks (pain, cramping stomach, some diarrhoea here and there and bloating, also feeling quite weak and hot and bothered). I too have diagnosed myself with several dreadful diseases so just wanted to say you are not alone! (also we are similar ages, I am 34).
I did have very low white cell count on my bloods though (which set me off on a whole new panic) but they did do tumour marker tests and inflammation tests which all came back negative.
I was diagnosed with IBS and gasteorentoritis which I find hard to believe after three weeks of symptoms, but they didn't seem overly concerned.
Hope you feel better soon and get some reassuring answers. Health anxiety is the worst.

superworried
25-11-18, 22:41
Hi Clarice, it's lovely to hear from you :)

Did they not run another other tests other than blood to diagnose your IBS, like an ultrasound or colonoscopy?

Today's been pretty bad. Woke up with aches in my left rib and had to run to the loo for a loose BM.

Calmed down a bit during the day as we dealt with the family, but this evening after having dinner, I've had aches in my left side and feeling very bloated and tight, as well as some discomfort in lower left and upper right quads as well. Also had some discomfort in my bum area and I'm now worried that it's some bad that's now moved on to other areas.

Clarice1
25-11-18, 22:49
Hi,
Not as yet, felt a little fobbed off.. they did a stool sample which was fine and felt my stomach, they also did the inflammation and tumour marker tests. Although I was too scared to ask which tumours they tested for! and the full blood count which showed the white cells out of whack (which they say is usually caused by infection). I guess I will go back if it is still the same in a week.
Problem is, maybe similar to you... I am not sure where the physical symptoms stop and the health anxiety ones start. I have been down this path before with chest pains.
When I am in a hyper anxious state I can feel every little thing in my body, so for e.g. just now I can feel a low lying pain in my lower abdomen, but then maybe that is because I am concentrating on it..? Also the dizziness, faintness and feeling sick, can this be anxiety, or infection or worse, it is hard when you are in a state.
I felt physically better after a repeat blood test showed the white cells increasing again.
But it comes in waves similar to you.
I'm not sure they would be keen to send me for colonoscopy or ultrasound as they don't think it is any worse than stomach bug but I will keep you informed.
Are you having an ultrasound?

superworried
25-11-18, 23:34
Nope, not yet. So far I've had two stool samples, a full blood count, numerous examinations from the GP on my stomach and the helicobacter test.

I thought in order for them to diagnose IBS they had to rule out all the other stuff, which would require more invasive tests.

Happy thoughts :)

superworried
26-11-18, 21:59
Sorry everyone to keep posting. Had a really bad day today. Had a grumbly stomach for most of it, then for around an hour tonight I had really bad discomfort underneath my left ribs. Not nice.

It hasn't helped that over the past few days I've also started to get a weird sensation in my back passage area, as well as in my bottom left area of the abdomen.

If all of this was anxiety related, it would be all over the stomach no, and not just focussed on specific spot?

Clarice1
01-12-18, 21:30
Feeling any better?

superworried
01-12-18, 23:41
Hi Clarice, thanks for checking on me :)

These past few days I've been... ok. My stomach has not really been bothering me too much since Tuesday night. It's been grumbling a little but not to the point where it's been feeling bloated and heavy like the previous weeks.

However, this evening my ribs have been playing up a little. Feeling a little uncomfortable under the left ribs, where it's feeling a little burning. Trying to stay calm until my doctor's appointment on Tuesday.

superworried
07-12-18, 09:23
Hi everyone,

Went to the doctors today to receive my test results - it seems I've tested positive for helicobacter pylori.

So a massive course of antibiotics and it should hopefully be cleared up. Thank you everyone for your support over the past few months. You've been awesome :)

vicky23
07-12-18, 16:44
Hi,
really glad to hear you've finally got a diagnosis and I hope the AB's do their job very quickly
Best wishes
X

Aussie11
08-12-18, 11:53
Glad that you found out finally what the cause was. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon!

Clarice1
08-12-18, 19:57
Brilliant news that they found a cause and that you can get on the mend :)

superworried
09-12-18, 22:26
Thanks everyone :)

Certainly started to feel a little better these past 24 hours - it would seem they're doing their job.

In the meantime, I've started my first session of CBT counselling for health anxiety. Not much to report on that front so far, we've sort of just set out my goals and what we're going to be doing. Fingers crossed it helps with the anxiety for future episodes.

Happy Sunday, everyone :)

superworried
14-12-18, 09:06
Hi everyone, struggling a bit today. Finished course of antibiotics last night, but this morning I've woken up with a slight stomach ache and had to run to loo.

It doesn't help that today is my partner's father's funeral. So I'm logically trying to attribute it to that.

Happy thoughts, everyone

Midnight-mouse
14-12-18, 09:37
Remember also that antibiotics can mess with the gut also, I would imagine with a stressful event today even non-anxious people may find themselves with a stomach ache. My deepest condolences to your partner and yourself.

Positive vibes.

superworried
14-12-18, 11:28
Yeah, you're right. Just wish I had started taking the antibiotics later as now they're over and I'm feeling achey, I'm worried it hasn't gone or there is something worse afoot

superworried
16-12-18, 19:50
So more updates - still having the odd stomach ache but nowhere near as constant as it was a few weeks ago.

However, the last few days I've had the weirdest symptoms in my back passage area that's put me even more on edge. Itchy and uncomfortable in the entrance, whilst I've
also had deep aches in the bones (if there are such things) in both bum cheeks, along as at the bottom of the spine making it really hard to sit comfortably.

You can probably guess where this goes now - I'm scared that it's tumours in the back passage that are pressing on the bones, or moved into them. :(

jojo2316
16-12-18, 21:56
There are SO many things it could be.... IBS, bacterial imbalance, anxiety, some sort of food intolerance.... the serious stuff is bottom of the list. Did your stool sample come back negative for blood? If so, that makes the serious stuff EVEN more unlikely. What is your doctor’s opinion?

superworried
16-12-18, 22:57
Stool samples all came back clear - which was weird as my breath test obviously came back positive for H. pylori.

My doctors haven't really said much. Once the test came back positive for H. pylori they prescribed me antibiotics and ant acids, but didn't tell me when I need to go back and re test.

superworried
16-01-19, 17:52
Hi everyone, I hope you've all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

I was doing so well. I was. However this past week my stomach ache seems to have returned. Started out with just a little ache once every other day and today has now become constant.

Can't get in to see doctors until Monday, so worrying myself silly that it's stomach cancer :(

Toby2000
16-01-19, 19:23
Hi everyone, I hope you've all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

I was doing so well. I was. However this past week my stomach ache seems to have returned. Started out with just a little ache once every other day and today has now become constant.

Can't get in to see doctors until Monday, so worrying myself silly that it's stomach cancer :(

I don’t know much about SC but if it was that serious I don’t think it would really come and go

superworried
21-01-19, 19:39
So over the past few days the pain in the stomach has continued, with this evening giving me really bad burning in stomach and a little acid reflux - which I've never had before.

I know having h plyori can increase the risk of stomach cancer. And with these symptoms now on board after I'd already been treated for h plyori, I'm scared this could be it :(

superworried
26-02-19, 08:05
Morning everybody!

Since my last post I went back to the doctors about my stomach. They prescribed me a months worth of a PPI which got rid of the symptoms. It was great. However, I finished my prescription last week but now over the past few days the stomach ache has started to come back :(

Terrified now as it's clearly not cleared up :( :(

Fishmanpa
26-02-19, 10:50
PPIs are something many take long term (my wife and I have for years) or, if you come off them, you should wean off. Stopping suddenly can cause a rebound effect with stomach acid. Reflux is not something that just "clears up". It can be a long term issue and is 'treated'. In addition to the PPI, I hope you were making dietary changes and modifications as that's a major contributor to reflux.

Positive thoughts

superworried
26-02-19, 19:45
What sort of dietary changes do you mean? I don't drink any alcohol and eat pretty healthily.

Fishmanpa
27-02-19, 00:56
What sort of dietary changes do you mean? I don't drink any alcohol and eat pretty healthily.

That's good, so then it's identifying trigger foods as well as portion size and time of day. Look into the FODMAP (http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet.

Positive thoughts

superworried
27-02-19, 08:11
Will take a look into it. Should I go back to the doctor and ask about the PPIs in the meantime?

superworried
11-03-19, 20:03
So just a quick update as I'm currently on work business in Germany and find myself at a loose end and worrying as I lay here in my hotel room. Over the past week my stomach has got even worse. Constant aches and cramping which got really bad on Friday night when my stomach woke me up in the middle of the night (first time ever) with really burning stomach. It took nearly an hour for it to subside but I barely got any sleep and was a mess the next day. I went to the doctors the next day as an emergency appointment who barely prodded me and said I need to have another breath test - but the earliest they can fit me in is two and half weeks away! He prescribed me some tablets that wont effect the breath test, but having taken them now for a day or so they've not really helped. I'm now in another country, worrying about what's going on inside my body. I'm scared it's something serious and my mind is turning to the dreaded C :(

Beckybecks
30-03-19, 18:40
Hi. I just read through your journey and I can relate to most of your symptoms and your desperation. I've had IBS flare-ups for many years, and each time there are different symptoms which always cause me to panic and expect the worst (I have HA).

My latest flare-up has been going on now for over two months with pain under my ribs, back pain, lower tummy ache, diarrhoea, constipation, bleeding hemmeroids, acid reflux, discomfort in back passage, fatigue dizziness etc. and sky high anxiety. (Just to let you know you're not alone)

The Doctor confirmed IBS (again!) but this time it didn't give me the reassurance required to calm my anxiety it seems.
I think we get caught in a loop; symptoms = anxiety, anxiety = more symtoms.

In desperation I went to a Homeopath. She spent an hour explaining IBS to me. Apparently when we're anxious and we lose our appetite it's because when our system is in that "fight or flight" mode, our digestive system stops working. Of course we still have to eat but because the food isn't being processed properly it ferments in the colon and this causes gas, the gas causes the pain. It eventually cause inflammation too.
She believes IBS is cause by a combination of food intolerance and anxiety. She tested me for allergies and discovered I am allergic (or intolerant) to several foods including gluten.
She has given me something called Glutagenics which is hopefully going to heal the inflammation and something else for my anxiety.

From my experience it's the anxiety that causes most of the problems. When I take anti anxiety meds I have very few symptoms. (Depending on what I eat)
Maybe you need something for your anxiety and maybe you could get tested for food allergies to see what in your diet may be aggravating your symptoms. I also keep a food diary which is a big help.

superworried
01-04-19, 23:07
Hi Becky thanks for replying. My breath test results came back today saying they're negative. This has thrown me into a massive anxiety spike. If it's not the hplyori that's causing the symptoms and the tablets are not helping me any more I'm scared it can only be one thing now :( I've still got an appetite thankfully, but I'm now wide awake and terrified

Beckybecks
02-04-19, 15:41
It seems you've been seen by a number of doctors and had a number of tests. Since nothing much has shown up and the doctors don't seem too concerned I'd say there's a very good chance you have IBS. Why not try the FODMAP diet and some anti-anxiety medication. Keep a food diary. Give it a few weeks and see if things calm down. Or as I suggested, find out if you're allergic to any foods, it could be as simple as that.
We never want to believe all the symptoms that anxiety can cause. I know. I'm practically a professional when it comes to anxiety induced symptoms!
I've had so many symptoms due to anxiety-fuelled IBS and I really sympathise with you.

superworried
06-05-19, 16:23
Afternoon everyone. I've tried to stay off the site and focus on my self, but the symptoms have continued and I am now a mess thinking about this. The test results for my hplyori came back negative, which would be great, except my symptoms have continued. Constant stomach, cramps etc. I was still taking the ranitidine and for a few weeks in April the symptoms lessened to nearly going. However, I accidentally cooked something that was ever so slightly spicy last Tuesday and since then my stomach ache has been back and with force. I was reading online about hplyori and it says it is associated with gastric cancer. Since my hplyori has gone, I'm now terrified that I know what these symptoms are for :(

Fishmanpa
06-05-19, 16:52
You have a cause and effect as well as a remedy, so? How often are you taking the ranitidine?

Positive thoughts

superworried
06-05-19, 17:27
I'm taking them twice a day as prescribed - they've given me a repeat prescription. But it's not been helping this week :(What do you mean by cause and effect? The hplyori is gone according to my retest, but the symptoms continue. So it cannot be that what is causing this

Fishmanpa
06-05-19, 20:53
What do you mean by cause and effect?

Food that didn't agree with you, symptoms, ramped up anxiety = continued symptoms. Keep taking the med and look into the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet.

Positive thoughts

superworried
07-05-19, 23:07
But can your stomach really be out of whack like that for a week and it not be serious?Got a real bad feeling about this since it's been going on so long :(

Midnight-mouse
08-05-19, 03:29
But can your stomach really be out of whack like that for a week and it not be serious?Got a real bad feeling about this since it's been going on so long :(

The fact that it comes and goes the way it has and you had a reaction to spicy food makes it even more likely that it’s not something serious, just annoying!

I have month long flares sometimes, during these times I’m more sensitive to my trigger foods.

How has your life been? The last time we talked I recall you and your partner were working through a loss in the family. I hope you and he are doing okay? Is there anything that’s been causing you stress in life recently? Anything you’re concerned about coming up in the future - or even anything that your excited about?

The emotional effects on the body are very strong and can have surprisingly long windows of time that they cause issue for.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

superworried
08-05-19, 20:46
Hi Mouse, thanks for replying. I hope you're well! The life stuff has been ok, actually. The loss of his dad was really tough for a long time, but it's been slightly easier over the last few months. We bought a house (and a cat!) in early March so that was new and exciting, so nothing has been stressing me/us out too much. I've been keeping a pain diary and for the most part in April my stomach wasn't bothering me much at all. So when my symptoms started to get worse again it's really thrown me for a loop - especially since the ranitidine doesn't seem to be helping much now. Terrified it's gastric cancer and it's too late :(

Midnight-mouse
08-05-19, 21:41
Hi Mouse, thanks for replying. I hope you're well! The life stuff has been ok, actually. The loss of his dad was really tough for a long time, but it's been slightly easier over the last few months. We bought a house (and a cat!) in early March so that was new and exciting, so nothing has been stressing me/us out too much. I've been keeping a pain diary and for the most part in April my stomach wasn't bothering me much at all. So when my symptoms started to get worse again it's really thrown me for a loop - especially since the ranitidine doesn't seem to be helping much now. Terrified it's gastric cancer and it's too late :(

Well congratulations on the house and the cat! That sounds wonderful and I’m very glad that your partner has been doing a little better recently, it’s completely understandable that these things take time.

Do you keep notice of the foods you eat in your pain diary? I did one with foods, a short line of how I was feeling and major thoughts and any bathroom stuff that seemed relevant which helped me find some patterns but it honestly changes on a dime all too often to truly predict.

superworried
09-05-19, 00:05
I have been keeping a food diary since I started getting stomach ache last year. I've had two bad periods of stomach ache after eating tacos (one being my current bout) so will no longer be eating them. I also had a bad few days after eating a burrito, so I'm guessing Mexican food is now out, which I love. Bathroom wise, I've been fine for a while.

rmq00108
13-07-19, 19:35
Have you gotten any resolution to you issue? Dealing with something similar

robert60392
15-07-19, 02:24
Hi superworried, thankyou for sharing. I can totally relate to the symptoms your have been experiencing. I have had pains in the abdomen on/off for the last two weeks. Additionally to those I have lower/middle back pain which sends my HA off the rails as I assume kidneys problems. Still trying to calm myself down but its hard to distinguish what symptoms are from the HA and what are not?