PDA

View Full Version : NEW! TELL ME I'M NOT GOING MAD!

speedy
10-01-05, 16:39
Hello,

I have been taking medication for depression & agreed to see a counsellor a couple of weeks ago, she said I was suffering more from anxiety! I feel useless & altho I turned down my doctor for a sick note last week, i had to call them today because I bumped into another car at a roundabout today becos I wasn't concentrating properly, feel I am not safe behind the wheel now!

Have to see my employer tomorrow to try and explain why I can't work (company car & i am a sales rep).

My partner tries to help but I feel a burden to him.

Tell me I'm not alone in feeling like everything is getting on top of me!

Meg
10-01-05, 17:02
Hi Speedy,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope everyone was ok ..

Feeling totally overwhelmed is very common. You are not going mad .
Start with
First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)
If you want to share more of whats going on within you we can try to help you a bit more specifically

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
10-01-05, 17:25
Hi Speedy

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you are ok.

You are not alone in feeling everything is getting on top of you and you certainly are not going mad. You can get over this and counselling is a good place to start.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

speedy
10-01-05, 17:33
Thankyou, no one was hurt, except that the shaking that I have been experiencing for the last couple of months got alot worse, I shake uncontrollably pretty much of the time now & find it difficult to catch my breath, makes it extremely difficult when I am trying to do my job. told a customer last week that I was recovering from a virus. No one wnats to hear that you are experiencing anxiety & are completely controlled by it. The counsellor is really nice but since seeing her last week I feel even worse. She gave me a diary (dysfunctional thoughts sheet) to complete which actually made me feel like a looney! Dysfunctional! To say that I am anxious all the time is an understatement - the only time I relax is when I am asleep - and that takes a long time coming! Feel like I could sleep for a week! What I really need is tips on how to cope with this thing that seems to have taken over my life! I am a very sensitive person who takes alot to heart & would give someone my last fiver if they had nothing. I have not been on a forum before & feel that if i haven;t been invited on a discussion I might be intruding. I don't have friends as such, just colleagues. I have a boyfriend who I have lived with for nearly 3 years & a brother and his partner who I am very close to but they don't really understand.

Meg
10-01-05, 18:49
Ok you seem to be coping very well with your symptoms and keeping going normally with work life.

Things that will help you now are to learn to relax - book yourself in for a full body massage which will help your body get rid of stored up tension and going to a yoga / tai chi class which will teach you to breathe correctly.

Are you going to take some time out from work ? If you are then take positive steps to help yourself during that time - don't loll about feeling sorry for yourself - do some exercise , take time to do your homework from the counsellor, modify your diet etcetc

Instead of dysfunctional - think non rational.... spend time on it and get the gist of where this has all come from.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
10-01-05, 19:30
Hi Speedy

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you are ok after the bump in the car.

It sounds like you need to get some decent relaxation tapes and do some nice chilling out.

Have you even been shown how to breathe properly as well cos that will help a lot.

Don't feel like a looney - stick with the counselling cos it will really help. Is it CBT that you are getting do you know?

Read Meg's 1st steps post - she gave you the link above and there may be something in there that you haven't thought about trying.

We are here to help you along too.

Nicola

sal
10-01-05, 22:39
Hi Speedy

Welcome to the site.

How you are feeling is totally what we all go through and we do understand.

I know how hard it is when the people closest to you dont understand but we also know that until we were where we are now could we have shown complete sympathy.

You will get loads of help and support on here and not feel like you are against it on your own.

You are not alone at all how you feel, it is horrible but this site has been the best comfort to me as i really thought i was on the verge of madness.

However we can help we will.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Sarah-Jane
11-01-05, 10:25
Speedy

You are not alone hun all of us here have either been thorugh what you are experienceing right now or going through it as we speak. Feeling as low as you do right now just tell your self the only way now is up and that you can beat this think positive, which is easier said than done i know! i know its very very scary, but with the support of your new friends here will help you through it and it definatley helps to talk with others that have experienced what you have. Its a good idea i think if you go and see your doctor talk things over and get a sick note to give you some time off work to rest and re couporate, you have a stressful job and you need time to wind down and relax a bit and get back to your old self. Please feel free to pop into our chat room or if you dont feel you can do that just keep posting on the message board, there will always be people here to post back to you and give you loads of support.

Take care hun and try and keep your chin up xxxxx

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx