PDA

View Full Version : Falling into the lung cancer rabbithole....please help

miggymoggy
29-10-18, 15:10
Hi
I posted a couple of weeks ago as I was admitted to hospital with high temperature and feeling wretched and CT scan with contrast showed consolidation which they said was pneumonia.
I have to have repeat chest x-ray on Friday (6 weeks after pneumonia) and the wait for the results for a week or so.
I completely recovered from the pneumonia but just felt tired but then after 4.5 weeks started coughting up green/yellow phlegm and blowing bright yellow snot out of my nose.
Went to GP yesterday and they think it could be sinus infection or bronchitis, although she listened to my chest and said that sounded clear, which I am taking as a good sign???? Why another infection?? This has just made my anxiety even worse! Do people get bronchitis after pneumonia?
Feel sick, scared and shaky.
Thinking of paying for private scan/xray just so I know.
I have never smoked, drink rarely and eat very healthily.

lofwyr
29-10-18, 15:30
You had pneumonia on the CT with contrast. There is no mistaking a lung CT. If you had had cancer, it would have been very obvious.

I had a 2.6mm and 3mm nodule show up on mine, and even if they were cancerous (they weren't) they would not have been symptomatic for ages, maybe years.

I get two chest CTs a year, one with and one without contrast for another condition, and the one thing you can be sure of is if you had lung cancer, they would know it. Period.

miggymoggy
29-10-18, 15:40
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it.
I am only worrying as someone said that if you have pneumonia it can hide a tumour???

Fishmanpa
29-10-18, 16:36
I am only worrying as someone said that if you have pneumonia it can hide a tumour???

Who might that have been? :shades:

Positive thoughts

miggymoggy
29-10-18, 17:23
Well I read it online and then asked my GP who said it was possible but not likely as I have never smoked.

Fishmanpa
29-10-18, 17:43
Well I read it online and then asked my GP who said it was possible but not likely as I have never smoked.

I figured as much :doh: So who will you believe? A search engine and your anxiety or a trained medical professional that has treated thousands of patients through the years?

Positive thoughts

miggymoggy
29-10-18, 19:04
I know but why have I now contracted bronchitis or sinus infection???
I just wanted GP to say it definitely wasn't cancer, but he didn't. Also, my Mum died from lung cancer. She had a chest infection which wouldn't go after lots of antibiotics; by the time they found it it had spread everywhere and she died 10 weeks later. That's why I am so worried.
God I hate, hate, hate this health anxiety.
Please someone can you make me feel better. I'm almost in tears and shaking.

lofwyr
29-10-18, 19:15
I know but why have I now contracted bronchitis or sinus infection???
I just wanted GP to say it definitely wasn't cancer, but he didn't. Also, my Mum died from lung cancer. She had a chest infection which wouldn't go after lots of antibiotics; by the time they found it it had spread everywhere and she died 10 weeks later. That's why I am so worried.
God I hate, hate, hate this health anxiety.
Please someone can you make me feel better. I'm almost in tears and shaking.
Very sorry you lost your mom, and sorry it was the cancer.

The only upshot to this whole thing is you very likely have a specific trigger point for your anxiety, the thing that is robbing you of the life you should be living now.

Are you seeing anyone and/or doing anything about the anxiety?

miggymoggy
29-10-18, 19:30
Thanks for your response. Not doing anything for anxiety at moment, but my job is awful too so I don't think that helps.
Could pneumonia and bronchitis just be "one of those things" rather than a red flag???

lofwyr
29-10-18, 19:43
Literally millions of people get bronchitis and pneumonia every day. It has to be one of the most common respiratory ailments there is, especially this time of year.

miggymoggy
02-11-18, 08:22
I have my repeat chest x ray today, Went last week but they said it was too early. GP said results take a week but if they find something untoward I would hear by Tuesday or Wednesday and would be referred for a CT scan.
How the hell am I going to get through the weekend and wait? By Thursday I can relax. I am losing weight. Could this be the anxiety or another red flag symptom??

miggymoggy
02-11-18, 12:28
Anyone??

Katie55
02-11-18, 14:03
I can't help with the chest problem but every single time I have a health worry the weight drops off me. Normally I have to be careful not to eat too much because I gain weight easily! Obviously you should always check out unexplained weight loss but I just wanted you to know that it's all too easy to lose weight with anxiety

miggymoggy
06-11-18, 18:26
OMG I am so, so happy! The doctor has just phoned to say my chest x-ray is clear- completely normal! Normal size heart, no lesions, pneumonia all gone! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your support, wise words. I cannot believe it! I was convinced I had lung cancer. The stone in weight loss must have been literally due to worry!!!! I feel like I have my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishmanpa
06-11-18, 18:57
OMG I am so, so happy! The doctor has just phoned to say my chest x-ray is clear- completely normal! Normal size heart, no lesions, pneumonia all gone! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your support, wise words. I cannot believe it! I was convinced I had lung cancer. The stone in weight loss must have been literally due to worry!!!! I feel like I have my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From your friendly neighborhood "Told Ya so Gang" :winks:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohzdLsbTLgJ7r4gIE/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts