PDA

View Full Version : Stiff neck

megan91
29-10-18, 22:24
Yesterday when I was laying in bed I turned my head to look for my phone and I felt a big flash of pain and then my neck like seized up and has been stiff ever since. And by stiff I mean I can barely look left or right, and can't look down at all. The can't look down part is worrying me a little because it doesn't seem common? I'm not really freaked out thinking it's meningitis because I feel like I would have more symptoms by now. No headache, fever, etc.

What freaks me out is I've never had it stiff all ways. IDK what to. I've already been icing it, TENS machine, heat, and I went and got a massage today. Still just as painful as yesterday. Sleeping is unbearable. Has anyone had this? What did you do? Just wait? I'm freaking out it'll be like this forever.

lofwyr
29-10-18, 22:48
Doesn't seem common? You just described something I go through maybe 4 times a year. Literally everyone I know has had that happen to them at some point. Very common and it can hurt for a few days too, just a neck spasm.

nomorepanic
29-10-18, 23:03
I have neck pain every day !

It takes time to heal.

Fishmanpa
29-10-18, 23:13
I have neck pain every day!

So do I and mine will never heal. You pulled a muscle. Give it time.

Positive thoughts

megan91
29-10-18, 23:34
Oh I have neck pain mostly every day too. But bearable annoying neck pain. This is terrrrrrrrible. I'm not really worried like hypochondria worried, just freaking out I'm going to be like this for a long time. I can't move it it in any direction. Usually it's like can't turn it to one side. I just want to be able to look down mostly. Blah.

megan91
30-10-18, 13:57
Starting to freak out because I got it some better before bed by more massage and stretching. Go to sleep and try multiple pillows through the night and even a different bed and still wake up with it just as stiff as before. All progress gone. Idk what to do, I have to sleep. What is causing this ugh. I feel like going to the doctor is only going to get me muscle relaxers.

lofwyr
30-10-18, 15:51
Starting to freak out because I got it some better before bed by more massage and stretching. Go to sleep and try multiple pillows through the night and even a different bed and still wake up with it just as stiff as before. All progress gone. Idk what to do, I have to sleep. What is causing this ugh. I feel like going to the doctor is only going to get me muscle relaxers.
This exact thing has happened to me for decades. It is neck spasms, and they will pass, just try to relax. It is seriously no big deal, the doctor can't do much, if anything for you. Better off going to a massage therapist or chircopractor if anything. ;-)

megan91
30-10-18, 16:21
It's just affecting my daily life pretty big right now, I'm trying to relax about it. Thankfully it loosened since this morning. Still really bad but not as bad as when I woke up. I went to a massage therapist yesterday but she was not very good. It was more of a rub than anything. I may try another one or (although I've never done it) go to the people in the mall who look like they really dig deep haha. A little hesitant to though, I don't want to make it worse.

megan91
31-10-18, 08:09
Ugh I'm starting to panic. It's 4am and I've slept two hours and I'm in agony. I'm terrified it's something serious. This can't be normal muscle spasms because I know I'm sleeping on it fine. Terrified it's a spinal tumor or something. Pain is waking me up at night. I'm just sitting here panicking plus in so much pain.

superworried
31-10-18, 10:07
Hot showers, voltarol, pain killers and time. Injuries take time to heal.

megan91
31-10-18, 10:37
But why does it get a little better during the day to terrible pain at night? That's what is worrying me. I was starting to get some range of motion back yesterday and now it's back to being so limited and so much pain. I'm going crazy, I want to sleep so bad.

superworried
31-10-18, 11:45
Obviously I'm not a doctor, but moving your head around all day and then trying to relax in the evening, when your body is tense from the anxiety too, can't be a good combo.

Could you try a hot shower and maybe one of those neck support pillows they have for flights?

I'd go to a physio before a doctor, personally.

Fishmanpa
31-10-18, 13:51
You turned your head and pulled some muscles. It happens :shrug: It's not sinister in any way. Heat, OTC pain relief and time is the answer. Simple as that.

Positive thoughts

megan91
31-10-18, 16:14
I've done heat and OTC medicine and it doesn't help much or if it does all progressed lost at night. Went to doctor and they just said muscle spasm and gave me muscle relaxers which didn't do anything. Ugh. I'm going to take another before bed and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but moving your head around all day and then trying to relax in the evening, when your body is tense from the anxiety too, can't be a good combo.

Could you try a hot shower and maybe one of those neck support pillows they have for flights?

I'd go to a physio before a doctor, personally.

A physio? Idk if we have that her. We have physical therapists and chiropracters. I've been to chiropracters before when I was younger. I'm almost desparate enough to try them though.

Fishmanpa
31-10-18, 18:06
Went to doctor and they just said muscle spasm

Thanks for affirming my posts :D

Positive thoughts

megan91
31-10-18, 18:27
Believe me I hope that's what it is. It just was getting better yesterday and then after last night, awful again.