PDA

View Full Version : Can't shake the thought that I've contracted Rabies

ExteriorLine
30-10-18, 08:08
Hello all,

I am new here, but not new to health anxiety unfortunately. Since a few months I'm travelling the world as a digital nomad, working from beautiful places all over. Currently I am staying on the island of Koh Phangan in Thailand.

Two days ago a stray cat touched my leg (didn't scratch it, didn't bite it, perhaps licked it but I am not sure) and also a dog touched my leg. The cat was obviously a stray cat as it looked not taken care of. The dog seemed like a pet, or atleast to have a owner because he was wearing a collar and looked healthy. There weren't any wounds on my leg prior to the interaction with the cat and dog, only a few mosquito bites. I've been in a state of panic since it happened. I can't shake the irrational belief that I now have rabies. Koh Phangan is even declared rabies free, since there hasn't been a case of rabies for 15 years in the island according to the Phanganist website.

I even called my doctor back home to make sure I am safe. Even my doctor assured my that I couldn't have been exposed to rabies, because that usually occurs through a bite of an infected animal.

What is wrong with me? Why can't I just face the facts and see that its just my anxiety that is making me totally crazy? I can't shake the complete irrational thought that I have now rabies :huh:

Anyhow, I'm just looking to vent a bit. Thanks for reading if you came this far!