PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get Oscillopsia?

Meriland30
30-10-18, 17:22
Not that moving images or things look funny, but that when YOU move or walk, things look shaky/wobbly? I just want to know I am not the only one on this site having sporadic attacks like this? anyone/??

Fishmanpa
30-10-18, 17:58
Unless you've been officially diagnosed with this rare neurological disorder, we can thank Dr. Google :winks:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
30-10-18, 18:09
Not that moving images or things look funny, but that when YOU move or walk, things look shaky/wobbly? I just want to know I am not the only one on this site having sporadic attacks like this? anyone/??

Google, right?

Meriland30
30-10-18, 18:16
What else would it be called when you get random attacks where every step you take visually looks like a big earthquake...where you have to stand still and not move to make it stop??

Fishmanpa
30-10-18, 18:21
Hyper-vigilance of normal bodily functions + anxiety? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
30-10-18, 18:25
What else would it be called when you get random attacks where every step you take visually looks like a big earthquake...where you have to stand still and not move to make it stop??

No idea. It’s just obvious when someone has been Googling. Can you imagine going to your PCP and they say”what’s bothering you?” And you reply with “Oscillopsia”.

Meriland30
30-10-18, 18:32
True, it is a very specified term. I had it happen yesterday at work while I was putting stuff away, it was quite severe. I came home and searched "shaking vision while walking" and that was all that came up...over and over again. I tried to find if it was anxiety related but to no avail. It was like my eyes were extremely out of sync with my body movements.. it was weird. It was so bad I had to go home, but I kept driving off the road cause every bump I hit ...I couldn't see anything it was all shaking. I had to have my husband come and pick me up.

Carys
30-10-18, 19:33
Oh you mean that thing where everything wobbles and shakes and spins as you are looking at it, and you feel unstable, not the rare disagnosable neurological condition you mentioned. No, I haven't had it, but it is common in anxiety conditions...and even mentioned in many books e.g. the age old Clair Weekes book.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Here we go.....

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/feels-like-floor-is-moving.shtml

AMomentofClarity
30-10-18, 20:17
You do see that your HA pattern revolves around “feelings” right? Heat, crawling, pulse, vertigo, etc, etc. I would assume that this is just another iteration of that to be honest.

cattia
30-10-18, 22:34
Yes, I get this with anxiety and have had it since childhood when I am highly anxious. There was a programme that used to be on TV in the UK when I was a child and the camera operator used to run around after this woman while she did a treasure hunt on TV and the whole shot was shaking with him running. It was kind of disorientating to look at, and that is exactly how I would describe it to my mum, like I was looking at everything through a jolting camera. I never knew there was a name for it but if it's the same issue that you're talking about then for me, it is definitely a symptom of anxiety and I believe it is a kind of depersonalisaton.

lofwyr
30-10-18, 22:40
Never happened here. That said, I am starting to learn about more super rare medical disordered here than I ever have if I had just googled myself.

I think a new medical oddity pops up every day lately.

On a side note, gotta stay away from the Dr. Google. It won't help, and I seriously don't know a single person who has successfully self diagnosed from Google.

Meriland30
30-10-18, 22:44
Thank you guys for your replys so far, and your understanding and explanations. It really does mean a lot to me. I didnt know what it was, but the closest thing I could find was Oscillopsia...I mean, in general, Oscillopsia is found in anything from MS to Benign Positional Vertigo...but not anxiety..and I was certain there just had to be a stress induced similar symptom, or anxiety induced. It was so random, I was overexerted, tired, and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. My neck was stiff and looking down or up just provoked it more, and gave me vertigo on top of it. It was exactly like holding a jolty camera and walking with it. Every bump, step..it was like I had loose eyeballs. Everything seemed distant or distorted too. Scared the heck out of me. Today I am fine, but this phenomenon does happen to me, not often, maybe 1 time every 6 months but it is scary....

NancyW
31-10-18, 01:03
You're responses make me feel like you're not hearing us...

STOP GOOGLING..

If you have ongoing health concerns see your dr.

jray23
31-10-18, 01:37
I've been noticing it from time to time, although it is very mild I think in my case. I am still able to drive. It kind of amuses me for now, like I shake my head quickly and if I pay close attention I can see "shadow images" for a slight moment around the actual object. Oscillopsia is a real thing, and how you describe it is exactly how the stories I've read about people with vestibular disorders describe it and I can see (pun intended!) how it could get really annoying and really scary with greater intensity.

However, I obviously cannot diagnose it, and quite frankly even a GP isn't going to likely know anything about it. I do know that in times of panic our eyes can play tricks on us just like the rest of our body can so even though it's probably not a common anxiety symptom I wouldn't rule that out either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
31-10-18, 01:49
You're responses make me feel like you're not hearing us...

Familiar pattern isn't it? :shades:

Sarah... I say the above because it's an HA pattern that's repeated ad nauseum here. A Thanks for you replies followed by symptoms, what ifs and yeah buts :shrug:

As was said, if you really feel the need, see your doctor but while you're here, ask for help with your anxiety.

Positive thoughts