PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram / Fluoxetine

ScottC2105
25-08-07, 05:16
If you want to skip to this threads point just read the bold part :).

I have been depressed for a long time (a good 6 or 7 years now) and I didn't tell anyone about it.

The first sign I showed to anyone was when I was 15/16 when I told my mom if she made me go back to school I wouldn't return (killing myself is what I ment) then no one said nothing more of it. I recently spoke to my older brother about it when I turned 18 in May and I have been to see a doctor. The doctor at first gave me Fluoxetine and after seeing the side effects I was too worried (yes, I have anxiety) to take them.

Anyway, I told him the following week I didn't take them because I was worried and he told me "They wouldn't of done you any good anyway. You have a personality problem." and that was it. No help, no nothing afterwords.

I then got a CPN that comes to see me every week or two and I first saw her a few weeks ago and I was panicing about seeing her (anxiety again). After she arrived I got down to explaining to her myself and how I am and such and she then told me I have severe depression and social anxiety along with 2 other things I can't remember about panicing and moods.

When she came to see me for a 2nd time she prescribed me Citalopram which I see is a different antidepressant with similar side effects. What I want to know is why did the doctor give me one thing and the CPN give me another :huh:? What are their differences? I'm worrying/panicing about it.

She has started me off on 20mg and I start taking them on Monday.

On a side note, things have since gotten worse, my mom has been diagnosed with lung cancer and that's putting a lot of pressure and stress on the family and me and I have recently been having more suicidal thoughts then usual which I have spoken to the CPN about.

To keep on track of this topic I won't go into detail about myself as I don't think/know if it is important.

happyone
25-08-07, 20:09
Hi there,

I have been on both citalopram and fluoxetine. As far as I am aware, they prescribe citalopram more to people who have severe anxiety along with their depression.

Fluoxetine helped me very much a few years ago with post natal depression and the main side effects I had were initial lightheadedness, over happy at times and a personal one that I don't want to mention publicly (read the side effects...it is a bedroom one:blush: )

Citalopram helped me greatly with the anx but not my depression. Don't be wory ing about me saying that , it was only because I needed a different type of med as my depression wasn't regular.

You may notice an increase in anx at first but it does go away/settle down.

apart from that, I am so sorry to hear about your mum. It is a hard time you are having just now:hugs: , and citalopram might help you through this.

Take care
Happyone
xx

ScottC2105
25-08-07, 21:51
Thank you, that does explain it better to me as I do have anxiety along with my depression. I may ask my CPN about these tablets before I take them as I am worried about the side effects.

Southern_Belle
26-08-07, 17:07
Scott,

Every anti-depressant must list side effects that may happen, that doesn't mean they will. That being said, most are not easy to go on at first. It does take a couple of weeks to even fill the meds working. If the doctors think you need to be medicated and so do you I suggest you speak again with them to reassure yourself this is the right medication for you. I would also suggest you start some sort of counseling immediately as meds alone won't help as much as the two combined. I speak from experience. I too am sorry for your mother and counseling could also help you cope with what she is going through. Good Luck.

Hugs,

Laura

ScottC2105
26-08-07, 18:24
I have been talking to a CPN, she comes again on Wednesday. I will consult her before I start them :) Thanks.