PDA

View Full Version : Nasal infection because I didn’t use boiled water in nasal rinse?

nhelen79
05-11-18, 04:04
I’m panicking with the thought that I put myself and my baby at risk for stupidly used filtered water last night in netipot while rising my nostrils. Before I was pregnant, I used netipot with the same type of filtered water. I live in a big city and we buy drinking water from water store that probably use tap water and filtered it before selling it to people. I never thought much about it because my husband uses tap water with netipot to clean his nasal congestion every night.

For some stupid reasons, I looked at the package last night and it said don’t use tap water. If filtered water is used, it needs to be less an .2micron or something. So I googled and saw 2 cases of deadly bacteria infections because of using tap water in their netipot.

I can’t stop thinking and freaking out although my husband tried to point out how low risk it is and he even uses tap water for years and nothing happened. There is still the risk and I put myself at risk stupidly :(

Anyone here use tap water to rise their nose and have no issues?

NancyW
05-11-18, 04:29
So I googled

Have you ever heard that googling is a terrible idea?

:lac:

nhelen79
05-11-18, 04:33
Have you ever heard that googling is a terrible idea?

:lac:

Yes I avoided for a while and last night the stupidity flushed in and now I can’t get that thought off

Justus
05-11-18, 07:58
Yes, you should never use tap water for nasal irrigation. I'm not going to give you more keywords to google, but it's an unsafe practice. "Filtered water" is a bit vague. Might be just fine, but just to be sure I'd go with water that you know is sterile (boiled, distilled, etc. whatever the instructions recommend). The risk of infection is very low, so I wouldn't worry about this one incident. Just make sure to use the right sources in the future, and also convince your husband to do the same.

AMomentofClarity
05-11-18, 18:09
. So I googled and saw 2 cases of deadly bacteria infections because of using tap water in their netipot.

2 out of how many millions of times tap water has been used in a Neti pot??? Yes they put that warning on there just in case The unthinkable happens they can’t be sued. Just like how automakers say read the owners manual before operating your new vehicle...does anyone do that?
Tap water in any developed country will be fine 99.999% of time.

Carys
05-11-18, 18:46
Can someone explain this to me....I'm serious. Why are so many people in the US irrigating their nasal passages/sinuses? I mean, whats the point? I've never had a sinus/nose infection in my life and I've never heard of this practice apart from on here.

AMomentofClarity
05-11-18, 18:59
Can someone explain this to me....I'm serious. Why are so many people in the US irrigating their nasal passages/sinuses? I mean, whats the point? I've never had a sinus/nose infection in my life and I've never heard of this practice apart from on here.

Because we love “health trends.” It’s been popular for a while. Soon it will be some other fad. Eating well and exercise and just letting the body do what it’s done for 100,000 years is just so old fashioned :winks:

Carys
05-11-18, 19:09
Thanks. So, aside from it being a fashion - what is the health benefit 'meant' to be, because we have mucus to keep the nose clean and fight infection and trap dirt. So, surely clearing it all out isn't actually a good idea?

AMomentofClarity
05-11-18, 19:13
Thanks. So, aside from it being a fashion - what is the health benefit 'meant' to be, because we have mucus to keep the nose clean and fight infection and trap dirt. So, surely clearing it all out isn't actually a good idea?

Right. I guess people figure it can eliminate nasal congestion. It’s probably like earwax, where yes, some people need it flushed or things get clogged up. But for the majority of people they should leave it alone. I would assume, especially for someone with HA, hyper focused on things, they feel normal allergy or winter sinus pressure that everybody gets, and read about neti pots and decide it’s what they need, vs the other 95% of people who know it’s normal and hardly notice.

Carys
05-11-18, 20:55
Ahhhah, thanks for your reply.....thats very informative. (and would explain why it comes up on this forum so much!)

Justus
05-11-18, 23:07
Because we love “health trends.” It’s been popular for a while. Soon it will be some other fad. Eating well and exercise and just letting the body do what it’s done for 100,000 years is just so old fashioned :winks:

Actually, nasal rinses have been around for a long time, and it's a pretty great way to ease nasal congestion. I find those neti things weird and use a canned saline spray, but it works wonderful to get all kinds of gunk out.

Nasal rinse is also part of some religious cleansing rituals. Chances are there are plenty of people in the UK who do this as well.

forbiddenxo
06-11-18, 01:15
You should always follow instructions on everything you use. The risk is very very low and people like your husband that don't have HA wont think twice about it but, since we are the way we are just don't do it again so you don't even have to bother with the thought ;)

nhelen79
06-11-18, 01:48
I swear to myself I will never touch this again even Though my nose is iffy right now with mucus. I hope I will be okay this time (no matter how small the risk is. I was stupid for doing this with my anxiety flaming)

My husband does nasal rinse every night to clear his nostrils and he said he sleeps better. He’s been doing it for years with tap water. I told him about distilled water already but he doesn’t listen.

Once time my daughter has post nasal drip and her doctor recommended it. I refused and did nasal spray for her instead. It’s amazing how one 1min if not thinking could cause me so much worries and anxiety for the next 2 weeks hoping I will be OK.

Fishmanpa
06-11-18, 02:11
My husband does nasal rinse every night to clear his nostrils and he said he sleeps better. He’s been doing it for years with tap water. I told him about distilled water already but he doesn’t listen.

Does he get more nasal infections because of it? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Justus
07-11-18, 21:05
I wouldn't mess around with that.The risk of an infection with N. fowleri is real (albeit small). Chlorination provides good protection, but it's not perfect. I guess people do what they do, but maybe your husband could switch to distilled/boiled water just so you don't worry about him?

jules321
08-11-18, 11:33
Nasal irrigation is great to clear or prevent nasal congestion. I’ve done it for years and used tap water until I knew better (and before I had HA).

nhelen79
29-11-18, 22:21
Update: I’m still fine after 2-3 weeks or so. Now moving on to other issues. I wouldn’t do nose rinse anymore though.

Fishmanpa
30-11-18, 00:55
Update: I’m still fine after 2-3 weeks or so. Now moving on to other issues. I wouldn’t do nose rinse anymore though.

Glad to hear your past that one! Knew you'd be ok :D

Positive thoughts