PDA

View Full Version : Subungual Melanoma

JAD71
06-11-18, 17:36
Here we go again. Another day, another cancer. A faint line on my third finger, right hand.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An1Mtd50AXQbfL94-RSO-ls542M

nomorepanic
06-11-18, 17:44
No idea what we are supposed to be looking at as I can't see anything there but we are not medically qualified to look at pictures and diagnose to be fair.

Carys
06-11-18, 17:53
OK, I've stared and stared at that image...even though we aren't really meant to....

After staring for ages....I can kind of see a smaller teensy weensy darker line, pinkish, near the cuticle which is clearly a thicker part of the nail. Incidentally, have you been biting your cuticles as they look in really sore/bad condition? There is literally nothing there that isn't normal! My husband and I both in our 50s have about 5 longitudinal ridges down each nail, thicker keratin. If you are fed up of looking for cancer, then don't look for cancer? I know that sounds simple, why don't you just presume it is something else or infact nothing at all. :shrug:

JAD71
06-11-18, 17:56
I know, I just need alternative ways of getting reassurance rather than keep going to a doctor

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

It was really hard to get the picture in a light that showed the line, then trying to get it into focus. I look at it sometimes and it looks worse than it does in the picture. And also I never bit my nails or cuticles.

nomorepanic
06-11-18, 18:13
I think you are actively looking for things to be honest and then googling.

What are you doing about treating the underlying cause - the anxiety - that should help more.

venusbluejeans
06-11-18, 19:19
I know, I just need alternative ways of getting reassurance rather than keep going to a doctor

To be completely honest, it isn't reassurance you need/ We can give you all the reassurance in the world, but it won't help you as you wouldn't actually be reassured and you will move on to another illness. It is the nature of HA...

You need to sort your health anxiety out, so you don't need to seek the reassurance.

JAD71
06-11-18, 22:09
Maybe this is a slightly better photo?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An1Mtd50AXQbfy_vWUBTkVA5pdg

Plus, there's a tiny black mark on the nail my pinky, fairly sure it's not ink.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!An1Mtd50AXQbgQDKWmq4GirBGuYD

Fishmanpa
06-11-18, 22:18
Joe... it doesn't matter. You have anxiety, not some deadly disease :lac: You're new here and I appreciate that you're scared but many of us have been here longer and have seen the unmistakable patters of HA. You're deep in it! Add to that you're only 17yo.

Have you spoken to your parents about your fears? Do they know you're posting on an anxiety website? Are you getting any help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Carys
06-11-18, 22:18
The tiny black mark is simply a splinter hemorrhage - a rather grand term for a tiny damaged blood vessel under the nail. Common, very very common, resulting from banging/hitting your nail. Think of it as a bruise under the nail. Its nothing, and will grow out. hvae you never had a blackened nail, from major trauma and had it come off/grow off? This is a teeny weeny version of that bleeding under the nail.

On the other picture, I can literally see nothing, nothing at all. Nothing concerning, nothing abnormal and no reason to be concerned. You are trawling your body looking for evidence of things that don't exist.

JAD71
06-11-18, 23:07
The thing is I don't know how I got it.

nomorepanic
06-11-18, 23:17
We don't have to know how we got every single knock or bruise.

Carys
07-11-18, 09:28
The thing is I don't know how I got it.

Why should you? Its TINY and literally everyone has those now and again, its from the most minisucle trauma possible. I looked at my arms and legs last night in the shower and saw a few tiny bruises, no idea, literally none how I got them....but I am currently doing some tough DIY so something I did doing that no doubt. Why care about how you got it? Its nothing.

Kingdawson
07-11-18, 16:55
I have lines in both my toes. Have done so for as long as I remember (and I'm brown/black complexion) so doesn't concern me.

JAD71
06-12-18, 16:23
Now on my big toe

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An1Mtd50AXQbgR0d5CQF3MwaDEbT

Carys
06-12-18, 16:26
What ?

Oh, an aside, your toenails need proper cutting. :winks:

AMomentofClarity
06-12-18, 16:29
Now on my big toe

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An1Mtd50AXQbgR0d5CQF3MwaDEbT

How’s the bowel cancer, prostate cancer, bladder cancer, and testicular cancer doing?

JAD71
06-12-18, 16:42
Fine

Carys
06-12-18, 16:43
Yep, a very valid question 'moment of clarity'. You are spending far too much time perusing your body for every single mark, line, bulge and perceived symptom.

You've only been on the forum for just over a month and had...

Strange freckles/skin cancer?
Testicular cancer
Subungal melanoma
Bowel cancer
Black freckle/skin cancer?
Penile cancer
(I must have missed the bladder cancer discussion)

Lump on the forehead (cancer?)
and worried about your Dad having prostate cancer

This is a pretty massive list for a short period of time. Isn't it?

AMomentofClarity
06-12-18, 16:54
Yep, a very valid question 'moment of clarity'. You are spending far too much time perusing your body for every single mark, line, bulge and perceived symptom.

You've only been on the forum for just over a month and had...

Strange freckles/skin cancer?
Testicular cancer
Subungal melanoma
Bowel cancer
Black freckle/skin cancer?
Penile cancer
(I must have missed the bladder cancer discussion)

Lump on the forehead (cancer?)
and worried about your Dad having prostate cancer

This is a pretty massive list for a short period of time. Isn't it?

I think the bladder cancer was part of the prostate cancer discussion. It looks like we also had some lung cancer too!

Not only is it a massive list, it’s a 17 YO worrying about cancers that affect people 3 decades older than him.

JAD71
17-02-19, 16:05
My Dad has a vertical black line on his toe. It definately was not there earlier in the week. I hadn't seen him for a few days before today, so maybe he stubbed it whilst he was away? But it would be very unlikely for a bruise to be vertical wouldn't it? He had a bruise on that toe for a long time which had now almost gone. I brought that up with him a couple of months ago telling him it could be subungual melanoma, but that was more like a black patch than a line. The line looks very similar to pictures I've seen online of subungual melanoma. He doesn't get any sun exposure on his feet, so I don't know how a melanoma could develop there, but I'm concerned it could have done.

jray23
17-02-19, 17:47
You worry about yourself having a serious illness, and then after time you project the same worry onto your father. You did this with the testicular cancer/peeing thread last month. Can't you see this pattern?

The issue is anxiety. Treat it, and all of these other "problems" will go away. Stop searching for physical illnesses or symptoms. You know what you have now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
17-02-19, 18:13
You worry about yourself having a serious illness, and then after time you project the same worry onto your father. You did this with the testicular cancer/peeing thread last month. Can't you see this pattern?

Interesting and true. It's fairly common for HA to project to loved ones like a parent worrying about every little niggle from their child is sinister but this is truly a unique pattern of fearing an illness and then projecting that same illness to a loved one.

Positive thoughts