PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux - morning sickness (not the pregnancy kind!)

debs71
07-11-18, 15:17
Hi Everyone,

My anxiety has been pretty bad lately after some stressful life stuff, so I am a bit on edge at the mo, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on something.

I have had issues with acid reflux for a long time now....not consistently, but intermittently over the years. I don't have any heartburn symptoms, just the feeling of acid rising up and that sour, acidy taste in my mouth, especially at night. It comes and goes, but is usually worse when I am stressed.

Anyhoo, I have had this new thing recently that has me slightly freaking out. Over the past few months, only on two or three occasions, I have had my breakfast and within 10 mins or so, I get a very watery, sour mouth, my stomach churns and I have to rush to the loo to vomit.

This is ONLY in the morning, directly after breakfast. Other meals I am fine.

My rational mind is telling me this is GERD going on, but my irrational mind is getting anxious about it being more serious. I also don't know if this is anxiety related or not as I always feel nauseous when anxious.

I also have to add that I have a very bad habit of slouching when I eat when laying on the bed or sofa, which I know won't help any GERD.

Any input, opinions or shared experiences would be so appreciated.

Thanks, Debs x :wacko:

Mark1974
07-11-18, 16:37
I feel sicky every morning and I have reflux (caused by a hiatus hernia), I've never actually been sick through it though (although I don't eat breakfast on week days so it is possible I would otherwise). Had it on and off for at least 3 years and there has never been anything found to cause any worry so I've just learned to live with it

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 17:16
My Partners Father has had acid reflux for years. It often makes him sick.

debs71
07-11-18, 17:19
Thanks for your reply, Mark. Really appreciated.

Yep, I often feel nauseous in the morning anyway. I think it is just the actual being sick that has me a bit freaked out. I think I am probably exacerbating it through worrying, perhaps.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

My Partners Father has had acid reflux for years. It often makes him sick.

Thanks for your reply, Matt. :)

It is reassuring to know that I'm not alone with this symptom.

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 17:23
Thanks for your reply, Mark. Really appreciated.

Yep, I often feel nauseous in the morning anyway. I think it is just the actual being sick that has me a bit freaked out. I think I am probably exacerbating it through worrying, perhaps.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Thanks for your reply, Matt. :)

It is reassuring to know that I'm not alone with this symptom.

No worries. I've been with my Partners Dad many times when he's had something to eat then been sick. I also think my Partnet has acid reflux as the same has happened to her.

debs71
07-11-18, 17:26
No worries. I've been with my Partners Dad many times when he's had something to eat then been sick. I also think my Partnet has acid reflux as the same has happened to her.

Wow, I truly empathise with them. It is a horrible sensation and symptom.

It is also very frustrating, especially as I really enjoy my Weetabix in the morning....:roflmao:

Carnation
07-11-18, 20:05
Hi Debs :)
I have a solution. Don't have your breakfast when you first get up. Do all your other morning ablutions first and have your breakfast and brush your teeth last. It works for me. :)

debs71
07-11-18, 22:03
Hi Debs :)
I have a solution. Don't have your breakfast when you first get up. Do all your other morning ablutions first and have your breakfast and brush your teeth last. It works for me. :)

That is a great suggestion, Carnie, thank you!

I hadn't thought about trying that before but will give it a go tomorrow. xxx:hugs: