PDA

View Full Version : Partner diagnosed with overactive thyroid.

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 19:03
About 3 weeks ago, totally out of the blue my Partners ankles swelled up. She wen't to her GP and had blood tests a week later. Last Tuesday she had a call from her GP to go in and see him that day. He has said the blood tests have shown she has an overactive thyroid and she's been referred to see an endocrinologist (i think that's what her GP said) on an urgent basis.

What's the score with this? Does anybody have any experience with this?

She's 45, never smoked, not overweight, walks alot and doesn't drink. She does live with a muppet tho!

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 19:19
My wife has overactive thyroid issues. It was discovered on a routine blood test. It happens, especially at that age. While it needs treatment, it's not serious and is easily managed with medication and they'll do routine testing moving forward to keep an eye on things.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
07-11-18, 19:57
Hi Matt, my gran had an over active thyroid and had to take meds and lived with no problems until the age of 89!

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 20:22
My wife has overactive thyroid issues. It was discovered on a routine blood test. It happens, especially at that age. While it needs treatment, it's not serious and is easily managed with medication and they'll do routine testing moving forward to keep an eye on things.

Positive thoughts

Thanks Mark. We've booked her appt today and it's for 18/12/18 and that's an URGENT.

Does your wife get symptoms?

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Hi Matt, my gran had an over active thyroid and had to take meds and lived with no problems until the age of 89!

Thanks Carnation. Her GP said she will probably be treated with meds but may need a scan of her thyroid.

Carnation
07-11-18, 20:26
It's far more common than you might think Matt.

pulisa
07-11-18, 20:34
They will be scanning her thyroid to check for nodules which can induce overactivity. The endocrinologist will be able to run a series of specific thyroid blood tests which can pinpoint what is causing the hyperthyroidism but sometimes it's just a random thing.

She may be losing weight and be anxious but getting her thyroid levels back to a normal level will control the symptoms. The endocrinologist will be able to explain all this. Has the GP put her on any meds? Does she feel unwell?

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 20:36
It's far more common than you might think Matt.

Yes was talking to my Mum today. She worked for many years as a carer for adults with disabilities, down syndrome etc and she was saying most of them had underactive thyroids but i wasn't sure how common an overactive was.

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 20:41
Thanks Mark. We've booked her appt today and it's for 18/12/18 and that's an URGENT.

Does your wife get symptoms?

Nope. None at all. On a good note, the dose of meds she's on has brought her readings into normal range and she's not due for another blood test for 6 months.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
07-11-18, 20:43
Underactive is more common. It's important to treat an overactive thyroid and I'd advise trying to get an earlier appointment. Can you shop around for endocrinologists? You may be seen quicker elsewhere?

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 20:45
They will be scanning her thyroid to check for nodules which can induce overactivity. The endocrinologist will be able to run a series of specific thyroid blood tests which can pinpoint what is causing the hyperthyroidism but sometimes it's just a random thing.

She may be losing weight and be anxious but getting her thyroid levels back to a normal level will control the symptoms. The endocrinologist will be able to explain all this. Has the GP put her on any meds? Does she feel unwell?

She feels totally normal Pulisa, but she has been feeling really tired for a while now. We know that can be a symptom but not sure if it's just down to chasing after a 5 year old and she's been helping out at the school, reading with the kids etc. She would never of gone to her GP if her ankles hadn't of swollen. I've been making sure that she gets to rest and sit down much earlier than she used to and making sure she sits with her legs raised. The swelling is probably 70% better.

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 20:48
Underactive is more common. It's important to treat an overactive thyroid and I'd advise trying to get an earlier appointment. Can you shop around for endocrinologists? You may be seen quicker elsewhere?

Actually, that's only a month away and it took just as long for my wife to get an appointment and her readings were whacked! You can always call and ask to be contacted in case of a cancellation.

Positive thoughts

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 20:50

Same old story with my hospital Pulisa. An urgent was the 18/12 and only one available and after that it was mid Jan. I will phone the hospital and have a word, my Partner won't do it as she's so laid back and non fussed about anything.

pulisa
07-11-18, 20:55
Same old story with my hospital Pulisa. An urgent was the 18/12 and only one available and after that it was mid Jan. I will phone the hospital and have a word, my Partner won't do it as she's so laid back and non fussed about anything.

So long as she's feeling well, Matt. I'm sorry you have this additional worry. It's certainly treatable as everyone says.

BikerMatt
07-11-18, 22:36
So long as she's feeling well, Matt. I'm sorry you have this additional worry. It's certainly treatable as everyone says.

It's just one thing after another Pulisa.

Yes she says she feels fine. I don't know wether the swollen ankles has anything to do with her thyroid. She did give a urine sample when she had her blood tests, but nothing was said about it.

With your thyroid nodes, was the 1st sign of them picked up via blood tests?

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Nope. None at all. On a good note, the dose of meds she's on has brought her readings into normal range and she's not due for another blood test for 6 months.

Positive thoughts

Good to know Mark.

Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-18, 02:25
Sorry to hear she is unwell, Matt.

I'm guessing the hospital prioritise the urgents as well and consider some needed slightly quicker than others? Either that are just a big queue, which wouldn't surprise me either.

pulisa
08-11-18, 08:28
My nodules were picked up on a thoracic spine MRI scan I was having to investigate neuropathic pain so completely out of the blue.

The thyroid gland can play up in middle age so your partner was sensible in going to see the GP. There are some good thyroid support forums online so worth a look? They give details of decent endocrinologists as well.

She may not even have nodules but it would have to be ruled out. It's just an ultrasound scan not an MRI.

BikerMatt
08-11-18, 14:18
Sorry to hear she is unwell, Matt.

I'm guessing the hospital prioritise the urgents as well and consider some needed slightly quicker than others? Either that are just a big queue, which wouldn't surprise me either.

Cheers Terry.

She feels ok luckily.

Her appt was an urgent, it seems to me that anything non-urgent is 4 to 6 months waiting time. My hospital trust is struggling big time.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

My nodules were picked up on a thoracic spine MRI scan I was having to investigate neuropathic pain so completely out of the blue.

The thyroid gland can play up in middle age so your partner was sensible in going to see the GP. There are some good thyroid support forums online so worth a look? They give details of decent endocrinologists as well.

She may not even have nodules but it would have to be ruled out. It's just an ultrasound scan not an MRI.

Yes i remember now Pulisa, thanks.

Do your nodules have an effect on your thyroid function?

I will tell her about the support forums, thanks.

pulisa
08-11-18, 14:21
No they don't as far as I know, Matt. My blood tests were all normal so I've been lucky.

Passing_for_human
08-11-18, 15:13
My gran has an over-active thyroid. She had it for decades or possibly longer before diagnosis. My gran is one of those "creaking gates" though who has so many things wrong it's difficult to know what condition causes what symptom, yet outlives everyone she knows and is in relatively good health generally. She's in her mid 90s now.

BikerMatt
08-11-18, 20:06
No they don't as far as I know, Matt. My blood tests were all normal so I've been lucky.

Glad to hear it, Pulisa.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

My gran has an over-active thyroid. She had it for decades or possibly longer before diagnosis. My gran is one of those "creaking gates" though who has so many things wrong it's difficult to know what condition causes what symptom, yet outlives everyone she knows and is in relatively good health generally. She's in her mid 90s now.

Thanks for the reply, it's good to know:)

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-18, 01:31
Same over here, Matt. My dad's waiting months for an angina referral same as my mum did. My aunty had to have a hysterectomy and got bumped more than once. After my dad's strangulated hernia was operated on, which they did really fast as his GP sent him straight up as an urgent, he had to wait months & months for a follow up due to the pain that wasn't going which turned out to be because of how they folded the skin and his GP had to chase more than once, must have been about 9 months after the op by then (it just resolved itself many many months later...and he was still waiting for a follow up).

Glad she's ok.

BikerMatt
09-11-18, 14:37
Same over here, Matt. My dad's waiting months for an angina referral same as my mum did. My aunty had to have a hysterectomy and got bumped more than once. After my dad's strangulated hernia was operated on, which they did really fast as his GP sent him straight up as an urgent, he had to wait months & months for a follow up due to the pain that wasn't going which turned out to be because of how they folded the skin and his GP had to chase more than once, must have been about 9 months after the op by then (it just resolved itself many many months later...and he was still waiting for a follow up).

Glad she's ok.

Thanks, yep she's ok.

Yep it's in a complete and utter mess the NHS.

Many things have happened to me, my family and friends that are very similar to your Mum snd Dad. Infact the list is endless. If people can manage they don't give a ........

Leelee-xx
24-06-20, 21:36
Helllo What was the outcome? I have just had my thyroid results it was 40 or something, they referring me for scan. Am paranoid!!! My thyroid is swollen too

WiseMonkey
24-06-20, 23:22
Both my grandmother and mother had Graves thyroid, which kept them nice and slim. My grandmother was the first person in England to trial medication for her thyroid, before that they just used to whip it out! She took the med for 5 years ten stopped and her thyroid was fine. She died aged 96 and my mother was 91. I haven't got thyroid issues, just other autoimmune issues!

EveWool2019
13-03-21, 13:59
Hi can I ask how your grandmother and mother were treated for their Graves’ disease?