PDA

View Full Version : Really stuggling with anxiety about eyes and hearing

StressedEric
07-11-18, 21:32
I am currently having treatment for very blurry eyes caused by dry eyes. I have been prescribed FML eye drops for 8 weeks by doctor at the eye dept at hospital. Reading the leaflet that comes with drops it says should have regular eye pressure checks if taking them for more than one week as these drops can possibly increase eye pressure but consultant at hospital didn't mention this and not due to go back til Jan. I am on week 2 now. Started to panic that the pressure in my eyes could be getting high without me knowing and read online that this can cause sight loss as can get glaucoma from high eye pressure! Tried calling hospital over and over and emailing them but haven't been able to speak to anyone yet.

On top of worrying abut my sight, today while having my hearing aid repaired at the hospital I had my ear syringed with microsuction as while there it was found there was a build up of hard wax. Did experience a small short amount of pain in ear during the procedure and have noticed my hearing is now worse than before I had it done. Despite being told there is still a small amount of wax still in there which they will take out when go back in few weeks after trying soften it with olive oil, I have convinced myself now that this small bit isnt the cause of the hearing loss and my hearing has been permanently damaged by the procedure as heard this can happen and it really worrying me now. Wish I never went there now.

I am trying everything to distract myself from worrying about my hearing and sight but it is becoming unbearable. I just cannot convince myself that the chances of anything being wrong are probably small..:weep:

mark84
07-11-18, 21:42
Regarding your eyes, I think in your case the pressure is irrelevant. The drops contain a steroid, in some cases this might cause an increase in eye pressure, but it's for glaucoma, which it doesn't sound like you have.

StressedEric
07-11-18, 22:03
Regarding your eyes, I think in your case the pressure is irrelevant. The drops contain a steroid, in some cases this might cause an increase in eye pressure, but it's for glaucoma, which it doesn't sound like you have.

Thanks for your reply at least now I might be able to get some sleep tonight. I'll keep on trying to contact the hospital though just to get their opinion as well.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Just reading about another person who had bad experience with microsuction ruining their hearing and my anxiety has shot up again. Really terrified now. God, why did I let them do it to me. :unsure: Going to try and call the audiology at hospital tomorrow.

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 22:18
Just reading about another person who had bad experience with microsuction ruining their hearing and my anxiety has shot up again. Really terrified now. God, why did I let them do it to me. :unsure: Going to try and call the audiology at hospital tomorrow.

Dr. Google claims another victim :lac:

Positive thoughts

StressedEric
07-11-18, 23:27

Positive thoughts

The microsuction post I read was on another forum. Just going to try and get some sleep and see how feel in morning.

StressedEric
08-11-18, 05:55
Didnt sleep very well. Ear still feels the same. Hooe I can get hold of soneone about both ear and eyes today. Need reassurance. Got to ho to work thus morning as well.

mark84
08-11-18, 07:03
Didnt sleep very well. Ear still feels the same. Hooe I can get hold of soneone about both ear and eyes today. Need reassurance. Got to ho to work thus morning as well.

I've had a good read about this, I had some minor inner ear surgery as a child and my poor father is very very hard of hearing despite using high tech hearing aids. We've both had our ears syringed, I can't really recall it of course as I was so young, but I can tell you this, the technique You had done is far safer. Even if the patients ear drum is actually damaged Prior to this they can still perform this. It is possible to get harmed doing this procedure, that is true, but exceptionally rare as it typically involves the patient for whatever reason having a violent or sudden movement (like a fit or uncontrollable sneezing I suppose). My guess is you've an imbalanceof air pressure, have you tried pinching your nose, closing your mouth and gently pushing the air, as if breathing out, but not letting the air escape? This will change the pressure in your ear canal. I hope it helps :)ps I used to love the cartoon of stressed eric

StressedEric
08-11-18, 08:22
I've had a good read about this, I had some minor inner ear surgery as a child and my poor father is very very hard of hearing despite using high tech hearing aids. We've both had our ears syringed, I can't really recall it of course as I was so young, but I can tell you this, the technique You had done is far safer. Even if the patients ear drum is actually damaged Prior to this they can still perform this. It is possible to get harmed doing this procedure, that is true, but exceptionally rare as it typically involves the patient for whatever reason having a violent or sudden movement (like a fit or uncontrollable sneezing I suppose). My guess is you've an imbalanceof air pressure, have you tried pinching your nose, closing your mouth and gently pushing the air, as if breathing out, but not letting the air escape? This will change the pressure in your ear canal. I hope it helps :)ps I used to love the cartoon of stressed eric

Thanks for your reply you probably right about the air pressure. I'll try giving that a go and see if helps. Yeah I used to like that cartoon too, dont seem to see it these days.

StressedEric
08-11-18, 18:00
Still haven't managed to get through to hospital regarding having eye pressure checks while on FML eye drops. I have not stopped taking the drops without talking to a doctor though still feel uneasy with not having confirmation i am ok.
I apologise for going on about this - any problens to do with my eyes or hearing just terrifies me.

mark84
08-11-18, 21:29
Still haven't managed to get through to hospital regarding having eye pressure checks while on FML eye drops. I have not stopped taking the drops without talking to a doctor though still feel uneasy with not having confirmation i am ok.
I apologise for going on about this - any problens to do with my eyes or hearing just terrifies me.

Tomorrow if you can't get through(seems strange you can't ) could you ring your gp instead? I'm confident all is well, but I understand you would like a doctor to say that, doesn't seem a big ask.

StressedEric
08-11-18, 22:22
I'll try phoning hospital again tomorrow having a real bad time with the anxiety tonight.

fishman65
08-11-18, 22:45

Positive thoughtsOh hasn't he just. He's been stalking me for a few weeks but I think I've lost him for now.

Hi Eric, two and a half years ago I had trouble with my ears too, particularly the right ear. Sounds were muffled/distorted and the pharmacist gave me the oil drops while I made an appt to see the nurse. She syringed both ears and I thought 'ok that's all sorted now'. I got home and my ears actually felt worse, I was convinced she must have done something wrong and panicked. However by next morning they felt clearer and I've had no trouble since.

I completely understand the panic over hearing, the distortion was very disorientating. However I'm convinced your ears will be fine too. All will be ok buddy, hang in there.

mark84
09-11-18, 19:33
I'll try phoning hospital again tomorrow having a real bad time with the anxiety tonight.

What's the news??

StressedEric
09-11-18, 22:25
What's the news??

Sorry just got back home. Managed EVENTUALLY to get through to hospital. Spoke to a nurse- no need to have eye pressure check. Thanks for your reassurance you were right that everything is ok- much appreciated and also now having confirmation from hospital is a relief. I am very disappointed that it took so long to speak to someone there.

Still feeling very spaced out and tension behind eyes but hoping that anxiety hopefully in time this will subside when rest up -just need to take it very easy over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Btw still have problem with hearing - going to try and move my next appointment at audiology dept forward and get them to check me out.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Now I've got new worry that the tight/pressure feeling behind eyes is high eye pressure. :unsure: I need to try and forget about it!

fishman65
09-11-18, 23:41
That's how health anxiety works Eric. With my recent heart disease obsession, I was scouring a website about angina last Sunday and a user had posted that he gets very fatigued. Next morning I'm going down the aisles in Asda and I felt so tired, arms and legs heavy. It felt SO real and yet I can now see it was my mind at work. The power of suggestion is so destructive for us anxiety people but I'd bet my house your eyes are completely fine.

mark84
10-11-18, 07:43
Eric, it's great news. Don't let thoughts creep in.You're doing well :)

StressedEric
10-11-18, 09:43
Eric, it's great news. Don't let thoughts creep in.You're doing well :)

Thanks. I still have the tight/pressure feeling behind eyes but going to try and put it to back of mind. My FML eye drops ran out last night!.Was only given one bottle for 8 wreks treatment. Cant get to GP until Monday now God, Just one thing after another! Think shouldn't really aburptly stop treatment on these.

StressedEric
10-11-18, 20:06
That's how health anxiety works Eric. With my recent heart disease obsession, I was scouring a website about angina last Sunday and a user had posted that he gets very fatigued. Next morning I'm going down the aisles in Asda and I felt so tired, arms and legs heavy. It felt SO real and yet I can now see it was my mind at work. The power of suggestion is so destructive for us anxiety people but I'd bet my house your eyes are completely fine.

Thanks. I find the endless worrying so exhausting. Running out of my steroid drops last night reignited the panic about eye issue as dont know what will happen abruptly stopping the drops. I am so trying hard to put to back of mind and hoping my eyes will be ok until Monday when hopefully will be able to contact GP and get another prescription?. All i can do is keep telling myself it only two days and hope my eyes wont be affected...:unsure:

StressedEric
11-11-18, 17:02
Really struggling with anxiety today. I hate Sunday evenings at the best of times but it going to be a tough one tonight :unsure:

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Anxiety is overwhelming tonight. Feel like just going up to bed this early. Dont know how going to cope in work tomirrow feeling like this. I trying to distract myself watching tv but it not enough. Feel so trapped. I live alone which doesn't help. Nothing i doing seems to be helping. :weep:

fishman65
11-11-18, 22:02
Is the anxiety focused on your ears and eyes Eric? Hang in there mate, anxiety is a liar and tomorrow won't be as bad as it's telling you now.

StressedEric
11-11-18, 23:00
Is the anxiety focused on your ears and eyes Eric? Hang in there mate, anxiety is a liar and tomorrow won't be as bad as it's telling you now.

It was my eyes but now i cant stop concentrating and worrying about the weird very spaced out feeling which has been strong all day!! Maybe when i sort out the eye drops tomorrow things will be better. Hoping i get some sleep tonight. Thanks for your kind words.

StressedEric
12-11-18, 14:03
Had no sleep last night the anxiety was so strong feeling very spaced out today & struggling to concentrate as everything doesnt seem real and that is adding to the anxiety. Managed to sort drops at GPs but wont be in until tomorrow. Finished early from work and not back in until Thussday. Just want to try and avoid any more stress.

StressedEric
12-11-18, 23:20
Anxiety is awful again tonight. Body knackered but just constantly concentrating on the odd spaced out feeling and that it never going tp end and prob be up all night again now :weep:

fishman65
13-11-18, 00:00
The spaced out feeling sounds like depersonalisation/derealisation Eric. Have a look here, its about halfway down.
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms

It's unsettling but will pass. You will get through this buddy, hang in there.

StressedEric
13-11-18, 21:10
The spaced out feeling sounds like depersonalisation/derealisation Eric. Have a look here, its about halfway down.
https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms

It's unsettling but will pass. You will get through this buddy, hang in there.

Thanks. I read the bit about depersonalisation. Keep jumping back to strong thoughts of i going mad and will never snap out of it. Managing briefly to break out it by dstraction before the thoughts take over again. Doesnt help not having much sleep for 2 nights.

StressedEric
14-11-18, 03:52
3rd night hardly any sleep. I dont know what to do i feel so exhausted but just cant drift off which making my anxiety worse. how long can you go on without having hardly any sleep at all.

mark84
14-11-18, 07:28
:( Eric,, please try and stop concentrating on what might be wrong, the only thing that's an issue is you're giving yourself health anxiety. Go back and read this thread, look at the early things you were worried about, each time a concern is addressed you focus on a new one. You're going to be ok :)

StressedEric
14-11-18, 19:40
:( Eric,, please try and stop concentrating on what might be wrong, the only thing that's an issue is you're giving yourself health anxiety. Go back and read this thread, look at the early things you were worried about, each time a concern is addressed you focus on a new one. You're going to be ok :)

I have had a few other problems with my health in addition to my eyes and hearing this year and anxiety has been accumulating over this time I also was feeling stressed in work and this has got to the point that it gets difficult to cope. I really really appreciate all the help & reassurance you and the other posters have given me in this thread and this def helping me get thru this difficult time.

fishman65
14-11-18, 23:23
Mark's right Eric, this is what anxiety does. That's not to trivialise it of course, it's very real for us and all the symptoms that go with it.

I don't know if you are on any medication but I take the AD mirtazapine. It's brilliant for sleeping, I could get horrendous anxiety during the day and still sleep at night. However, some find it 'can' cause weight gain. Not that I'm saying you should be taking it but perhaps worth bringing up with your GP when you next see him/her? Take care mate.

mark84
15-11-18, 11:17
Hey stressedEric, I hope it didn't sound dismissive what I wrote, I really do believe it's health anxiety though- which as fishman says is a very real thing!

StressedEric
15-11-18, 23:37
Mark's right Eric, this is what anxiety does. That's not to trivialise it of course, it's very real for us and all the symptoms that go with it.

I don't know if you are on any medication but I take the AD mirtazapine. It's brilliant for sleeping, I could get horrendous anxiety during the day and still sleep at night. However, some find it 'can' cause weight gain. Not that I'm saying you should be taking it but perhaps worth bringing up with your GP when you next see him/her? Take care mate.

I am not on any AD medication curerently. Was managing to keep the anxiety at bay until this evening. I had terrible anxiety. I had a argument with a relative over something small and suddenly i felt more pressure in head and now feel numb i cant feel emotion all strong anxiety feelings suddenly subsided just numb like my brain overloaded. I look at things i should be happy abput and feel nothing. Its like part of my brain switched off. Apparently thus is common under extreeme anxiety?.Very strange and unsettling sensation. Never experienced it before. Not Mr Googled.

StressedEric
16-11-18, 18:46
Going to try my very best to keep in my mind that I am safe and will get better like so many people are telling me. I just need to convince myself of this despite feeling extreemly spaced out. It hard work to distract myself from it when the feeling is so strong.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Does anybody take any herbal teas or remedies to help with anxiety? I do have redbush which sometimes helps a bit. Heard that lemon balm is good too? Anything that could help is worth a try. Sorry these queries are not about GAD but interested in opinions.