PDA

View Full Version : A question re: colonoscopy - 1st one tomorrow!

samina77
08-11-18, 10:27
Hi all

Just a quick question:

If a polyp is found during colonoscopy do they know immediately if it’s cancer or not? Or does a polyp automatically mean not cancer but could turn in the future? (Whilst cancer is obvious and referred immediately?)

Also regarding the prep solution. They recommend putting it in the fridge first, this means I can mix up the solution before I drink it? How long beforehand? Is there a time limit?

Thank you, I’m faffing as you can all see... deep breaths xxx

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 17:07
They are pretty good at knowing yes. They cut them out to prevent them turning into cancer.

I never put mine in the fridge I just added cold water to it. It won't matter how long but you really don't need to put it in the fridge to be honest.

Good luck.

samina77
08-11-18, 18:00
They are pretty good at knowing yes. They cut them out to prevent them turning into cancer.

I never put mine in the fridge I just added cold water to it. It won't matter how long but you really don't need to put it in the fridge to be honest.

Good luck.

Thank you so much :)
I’ll check it n tomorrow and update
Thank you xxx

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 18:21
Are you going to watch it or get sedation?

I like to watch it - find it quite fascinating to see my bowel/colon etc but then I may be weird :whistles:

You can also talk to them and ask questions as well.

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 18:21
I assume you know that there are certain foods you can eat as well before tomorrow?

samina77
08-11-18, 19:44
I assume you know that there are certain foods you can eat as well before tomorrow?

So I’m on a liquid diet until the test - only broth, tea and water (I’m starving and also feel quite weak now)

I’d quite like some sedation to “take the edge off” but don’t want to be too out of it (I’m a control freak!) as for watching... not sure, when I’ve had cystoscope I never look and also when I had my op I didn’t look but tomorrow maybe I will?! I hope they do talk to me, I need it, it keeps me calm :)

Thanks for taking the time to write, it feels good to hear from someone who’s been there and done it!

I guess it will be interesting to see how the procedure differs from what they do in the UK or anywhere else...

So I had to take 3 pills at 6 o clock and so far nothing... I had a weird shooting pain in my bum?! But otherwise nothing.

Due to drink the liquid at 10.30. I’ve already put some magazines and wet wipes by the loo and a candle to create a nice atmosphere?!?!

Xxx

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 20:39
I had one in July and was able to eat some foods - like jelly (not red or orange coloured). I also had ice pops and lemonade lollies so it felt like I was sort of eating something.

I assumed you were in the UK sorry.

samina77
08-11-18, 20:53
I had one in July and was able to eat some foods - like jelly (not red or orange coloured). I also had ice pops and lemonade lollies so it felt like I was sort of eating something.

I assumed you were in the UK sorry.

No it’s fine, I’m from the UK but I live in Italy.

So first toilet trip...

You know all I keep thinking is how this is going to aggravate the piles?!

40 mins till prep drink time..

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 21:06
It certainly could do haha.

samina77
08-11-18, 22:34
Finished first drink. Not too bad. Now on second loo trip... little bit more action than the first... I’m glad I brought the candle with me, it’s kind of relaxing ��

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

I’ve drunk all the prep (1litre tonight, another litre tomorrow at the crack of dawn). It went a bit better than expected. I feel slightly nauseous but ok. Think I’m gonna stay up another 30 mins or so, drink s chamomile and hopefully then get some shut eye...
xxx

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 23:57
It will soon be over. The prep is the worse.

What are they looking for can I ask?

samina77
09-11-18, 09:16
Morning!

So I’ve just finished drinking the 2nd litre of prep. This time round the nausea was more evident, feeling quite grim now.

Oh dear, almost didn’t make it to the loo?! That was seriously grim!

So slep okie, woke up about 4.30 for the loo but nothing too bad...

Nicola, to answer your question - you’ve probably seen my posts on the ibs forum, I’ve had HA since my son was born. Have had blood in stools and on tp for over a year. Recently it’s got a bit more frequent and bowels have been very messed up. Doctor not worried, she thinks it’s colitis but because my anxiety is through the roof she suggested I do the colonoscopy to rule out bad stuff then proceed with allergy tests for lactose and gluten. Mainly to see where the blood is coming from...

Getting nervous for the results as I type this...

But it’s today and will soon be all over.

My appointment is at 1.

Xxxxx

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

So I'm feeling a bit better now, nausea has passed, I had a little sleep (maybe 40 mins or so) and definitely feel better. I also had a chamomile with honey and that was nice too.

Still going to the toilet every now and then and it's getting gradually more transparent which is also good as I was worried it was still too dense.
I think I'm just going to try and drink as much as I can in the next hour (can't drink any more at 11) and listen to some meditation mp3s, have a bath or shower and then get ready to go :scared15:

Now I'm just trying to tell myself the worst is over, really hope everything is ok inside. I promise I will update afterwards.

Thank you Nicola for replying to me, it's kept me sane
:) xxxxx

nomorepanic
09-11-18, 12:45
It is good that you are getting this looked at for peace of mind.

Hope it all goes/went ok for you.