PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever worry that something bad has to happen them to overcome anxiety?

Dimdim101
08-11-18, 10:35
I know anxiety is quite debilitating, and sometimes people who have had battles with e.g. cancer used to be hypochondriacs or have anxiety, and then after it they have a revelation and say things like "it made me realise the value of life and I've overcome my health anxiety now" or something similar.

Sometimes it makes me worry that the only way I'll get over this health anxiety is if something bad actually does happen to me. I know that this clearly happens for a minority of people - so many people have health anxiety and struggle with it all their lives but actually remain perfectly healthy, while others have health anxiety and find other ways to eventually overcome it. I just can't stop worrying that I'll be that small fraction of people who will need to get some deadly disease to get me over health anxiety. Definitely hoping I'm not, but does anyone else ever worry about that :weep:

These thoughts actually happened when someone close to me said something like "I feel like you need to go through something tough to actually overcome this"...well, actually going through it is tough in itself, but it made me freak out that something bad would happen e.g. I will get some disease, or someone close to me will die etc. And I guess overall it's left me with a very paranoid/negative mindset. Is this a common thought? It's almost like superstitious so I feel like it ties in with my OCD.

Graceski
08-11-18, 16:55
I feel like this in a way. I had a fear of throwing up for about a year. Until I threw up, and I haven't feared it since :roflmao:

I now have a fear of fainting, but I don't really want to faint to overcome it. Too scared!!!

I'm sure people can beat it without having to face their fears though.

Missjensen
08-11-18, 17:03
Well I had one of my nightmares happening to me, and I still suffers from bad HA, so I don’t think it magically dissolved itself haha

I now have a fear of fainting, but I don't really want to faint to overcome it. Too scared

I fainted last week because I cut my finger, never tried too completely faint before, let me say this, it’s not as bad as I imagine it too be ! I know it probably won’t help you.

Graceski
08-11-18, 17:38
Well I had one of my nightmares happening to me, and I still suffers from bad HA, so I don’t think it magically dissolved itself haha

I fainted last week because I cut my finger, never tried too completely faint before, let me say this, it’s not as bad as I imagine it too be ! I know it probably won’t help you.

Oh gosh! I have fainted before and I know it aint that bad. For some reason I still fear it :scared15: