PDA

View Full Version : Word mix up - need reassurance, please

pray4me
08-11-18, 18:26
I try not to post here but am at the end of my rope. I have been having a really difficult time with anxiety lately. Back in August I stumbled upon a news article about risk factors for dementia. The article addressed risk factors unrelated to family history (ones to worry about even without a family history) such as vision, blood pressure, number of pregnancies etc. Basically I convinced myself that I am at risk of the disease. Ever since it has been a nightmare. I am constantly testing my memory and every little slip with memory, talking, typing sends me into a tizzy.

This morning a very worrying thing happened. I said the word peanuts when I meant to say pistachios. My husband was chastising me about not closing the lid of a box of cashew nuts the night before. I knew this was my fault, and I was trying to makeup an excuse. Also, I realized I had eaten pistachios the night before (out of a bag) and not cashews. So I said 'I did not eat the cashews yesterday, I ate peanuts'. He asked me again why I hadn't closed the box. So again I said, 'I did not eat the cashews yesterday, I ate peanuts'. He said we don't have any peanuts at home. So I tried reminding him that I ate the 'peanuts' in front of him, and just then I realized that I was thinking pistachios but saying peanuts. I was about to correct myself but my husband beat me to it.

That I said the wrong word twice worries me no end. Also my husband noticed I said the wrong word. I have read that If other people notice then it means you are losing your mind (although I also later realized my own mistake). Has this ever happened to anyone else, please??

Could this from my high levels of anxiety. I have had a horrid week worrying about other diseases too:
On Monday I had some water go down the wrong pipe as I was drinking out of a bottle - worried about MND
Tuesday - worried that my left (non-dominant hand) was less coordinated that right, so kept testing myself
Wed - thought I saw blood mixed with vaginal discharge, turned out to be threads of fabric from my underwear
This morning - thought I saw blood in my poo, turned out to be tomato

Also just before I had the above conversation with my husband, I was immersed in thoughts about my 'bloody' poo, my granddad's colorectal cancer, and whether I need a colonoscopy. So I was immensely anxious and distracted.

Please help me!

Fishmanpa
08-11-18, 18:30
I said the word peanuts when I meant to say pistachios.

With all due respect, this is a non-tissue.... I mean issue :winks:

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
08-11-18, 18:33
Nothing to worry about to be honest.

AMomentofClarity
08-11-18, 18:34
Everybody has brain farts, especially in times of high anxiety when the mind is preoccupied. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy.

pray4me
08-11-18, 18:37
Thank you everyone for your words of reassurance. My mind is trying to convince me that this is the beginning of something sinister and I have been crying all morning.

Dave_Lister
08-11-18, 19:01
I do jumble words when I am typing, and I think it is from stress and anxiety because it comes and goes. I wouldn't worry about this.

Hypomania
08-11-18, 19:09
Happens to me all the time. Fairly confident I don't have dementia

.Poppy.
08-11-18, 19:16
This happens to everyone, even those who don't suffer from anxiety.

Tiatyrah
08-11-18, 20:48
Happens to me too! Even today. Don't worry