PDA

View Full Version : Constantly On Edge About Health

Mark1974
08-11-18, 20:24
Is anyone else enduring this at the moment, it is debilitating :weep:

Every little ache and pain lately has to be something bad in my mind, why can't I just assume it to be old age creeping up?

Even though in the last couple of years I've had literally every test going, and nothing has been found to be wrong with me physically (other than a hiatus hernia and a fatty liver, mentally of course I have clearly got an issue which I've admitted to my GP), why do I still fret about health issues, I have been on edge about it for a month now, this is the longest spell ever and its wearing me down quite a bit now :weep:

In the last six months I've had a gastroscopy down to the duodenum, two ultrasounds (the latest last week), blood / stool / urine tests galore (again the latest last week), two years ago a colonscopy and a CT scan and all normal, so why, even after being given a virtual clean bill of health only at the weekend I'm still on edge, shouldn't all those results be enough to convince me, fed up of feeling like this

Nameuser
08-11-18, 22:34
The reason is because the health anxiety demon will never be satisfied that you’re healthy even if you’ve had all the tests in the world. The HA would still go “yeah but the tests were two days ago this could have changed since then”. It will never go away no matter how many tests you have done because the only thing that needs treating is your brain! Once that is sorted out then the HA demon will shrivel up and go back to hell where it belongs lol.

Have you ever considered CBT? I am currently waiting to receive some and have heard so many positive things about it :) also give meditation and yoga a go. Another thing that I do is write down “realistic cause of sytmpom vs catastrophised version of symptom” e.g. symptom: headache. catastrophised thinking: brain tumour. realistic thinking: caused by stress or dehydration. Hope these tips help a little bit!

Mark1974
09-11-18, 11:03
I am on a waiting list for CBT since April (there is a long waiting list, so unfortunately there must be many others in the same boat as me).

I don't know why I've suddenly triggered again, as since July I've been ticking over quite nicely, then bang in October I've relapsed. I feel well in myself and not ill or under the weather physically, which is a good sign isn't it? Every recent blood / urine / stool test has been completely normal and my weight has remained constant (give or take the 1½lb I've lost this week for no good reason, probably due to worry!)

peachy123
09-11-18, 22:24
I can relate. I've been having something of a health anxiety relapse (I haven't had health anxiety for YEARS) and no matter how many doctors I speak to or tests I have done, I can't feel reassured for more than a little while.

The HA would still go “yeah but the tests were two days ago this could have changed since then”. It will never go away no matter how many tests you have done.

100% true. The thing about HA is it feeds on your happiness and peace of mind, and it has an appetite that is insatiable. A doctor might be able to reassure you for a few hours, days, weeks. But the fear always comes creeping back. It's a cycle of seeking medical reassurance, feeling okay for a little while, then going straight back for more reassurance. I actually went to a&e to have blood tests done because I was worried about a blood clot. As soon as I came home I went to bed and felt a pain in my leg. And my first thought is 'blood clot'. Not even 3 hours after having my blood test and leaving the hospital, I was worried about a blood clot. That I somehow think developed while I was sitting in the waiting room despite moving my legs a lot. That's how bad my anxiety is at the moment. And as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm still on edge, afraid, constantly worrying about it. I hate anxiety. HATE IT!

I don't know what advice to give because I am in the midst of an anxiety relapse myself. All I know is that I beat my health anxiety 5 years ago, and although it has returned, I am hoping I can once again find the mental and emotional strength to beat it this time. Medication and counselling, changing your way of thinking (look up cognitive distortions), and occupying your time with positive or constructive things are really helpful. Seeking reassurance from others is not really a practical long term solution. You need to either find soothing from within yourself, or, if you are religious, through prayer and faith.

Mandyhieronimus
10-11-18, 18:53
I’m right there with you! I go for months and I’m okay. And then, bam! It hits me out of nowhere! I am so sick of constantly feeling like there’s something always wrong with me. It really is robbing me of my happiness! Monday I will call and find out how to be referred to get some kind of counseling or help. I can’t keep feeling like this. I’ve prayed and prayed and cried and cried some more. It’s exhausting!