PDA

View Full Version : lymph node fears

razziledazzile
10-11-18, 07:33
Hello, I have suffered with health anxiety for a while. Since I was 16 to be exact, I’m 20 now. I remember using forums when I was anxious back then and feeling comforted as people can relate to me, so I am back. I got sick in the beginning of October and it took nearly forever to go away, so I went to the doctors and was told I had a sinus infection/ allergies that cause a post nasal drip and cough (which is finally going away with my allergy medicine and after antibiotics) however, I noticed I had a swollen lymph node halfway through my sickness, about the size of a pea on my neck. I usually inspect myself often. I brought up my concern of my lymph node to my doctor who said he antibiotics would have it go away, well it’s been a good week since I finished my antibiotics and the lymph node is STILL here, same size and now is even a bit painful. Yes, I have been poking it a lot and googling a lot but I can’t help but fear I have cancer that has metastasized to my lymph nodes. I can’t get a doctor appointment for a while (my insurance sucks) and just need some comforting. Shouldn’t this lymph node have gone away by now? Or atleast stop hurting?

Fishmanpa
10-11-18, 15:48
It can take a few weeks even after meds for a node to return to normal. Problem is, it won't return to normal or stop hurting if you keep poking and prodding it :lac:

Positive thoughts

Sparky16
10-11-18, 15:52
Poking will definitely make it hurt. I know it is hard, but you have to stop doing that because it makes it worse and that makes it harder for the doctor to assess.

I'm not sure a lymph node would go away in a week. I've had a swollen node twice before when I had bad bug bites on my face, and I think it took longer than that to go down after the bites healed up. I think at the time my doctor said to give it a month.

Can you call your doctor's office and ask how long you should give it? My doctor's office has a nurse who takes phone questions like this and checks with the doctor if needed. You could call and ask if there is someone you can talk to for a follow up question.

Freya_77
10-11-18, 19:46
I have a lymph node that's been up in my neck for 5 years. My Dr said it will probably never go down. I can't even remember being ill, and that is what started my HA 5 years ago. The lymph node has stayed the same size in all that time, and I'm still here so I guess my Dr must have been right.
Try to stop worrying, I know it's easier said than done x

Tiatyrah
10-11-18, 20:47
I thought pea sized nodes aren't actually swollen? I can feel 6 pea sized nodes in my neck for a few years now. They don't go away. One got bigger a few weeks ago when my throat was hurting and is now back to pea sized again.

Fishmanpa
10-11-18, 21:00
I thought pea sized nodes aren't actually swollen?

That's correct. A "pea" sized node is not swollen. When I had cancer, the node in my neck went from a small grape to looking like I had the mumps. You don't have to feel around, tilt your neck etc. to feel or see a swollen node.

Positive thoughts