PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy stomach after returning from holiday

Kingdawson
11-11-18, 16:06
So I returned 2 weeks ago from an amazing holiday from ghana and my stomach hasn't been right since. Diahrea (not all the time but it's there) and intermittent stomach cramps/pain. It started about 4 days into the holiday(basically the day before we left.)

I've got a doc appointment on tuesday and I know the likelihood of it being some sort of stomach parasite infection is probably quite high. Can you guys recommend any tips on what I can do to alliviete the symptoms.

Kingdawson
11-11-18, 22:15
Anyone?

goldie84
11-11-18, 22:36
Anyone?

Well my hubby has been dealing w stomach issues for two weeks and the best thing to try is just bland boring foods. Look up the low fodmap diet. That’s what his doc has him on.

Kingdawson
11-11-18, 23:26
Well my hubby has been dealing w stomach issues for two weeks and the best thing to try is just bland boring foods. Look up the low fodmap diet. That’s what his doc has him on.

Did it start whilst on holiday?

RadioGaGa
11-11-18, 23:39
Kingdawson

I know it's easier said than done, but don't panic about this sort of thing. It's a relatively common presentation.

Advice until you see your doctor:

* Don't take loperamide (Imodium) or any other constipating agent e.g. codeine. Diarrhoea is your body's way of fighting any pathogen
* Keep hydrated. OTC hydration salts/Lucozade sport/Gatorade will suffice
* Look out for signs such as blood in stools, fever
* If you have 'wind' pains, try Simethicone
* If you have abdominal cramps hyoscine butylbromide (Buscopan)

***AVOID***
* Caffeine, NSAIDs, alcohol

It's likely you'll have a stool sample taken, which will ultimately dictate treatment.

Best of luck, and don't panic!

Fishmanpa
12-11-18, 00:13
Let us know what you find out Tuesday. Hope you had a decent time despite the poops.

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
12-11-18, 01:14
Let us know what you find out Tuesday. Hope you had a decent time despite the poops.

Positive thoughts

Great time to be honest mate.

It's just come at a really bad time as I'm getting married next Sunday lol.

Fishmanpa
12-11-18, 01:27
Great time to be honest mate.

It's just come at a really bad time as I'm getting married next Sunday lol.

Congrats!... Yeah..... I hear ya... the poops is not good when it comes to getting married ;)

So where's the honeymoon? Hopefully a place with less of a chance of parasites!

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
12-11-18, 11:48
Congrats!... Yeah..... I hear ya... the poops is not good when it comes to getting married ;)

So where's the honeymoon? Hopefully a place with less of a chance of parasites!

Positive thoughts
Was gonna book seychells so hopefully that should be ok.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Kingdawson

I know it's easier said than done, but don't panic about this sort of thing. It's a relatively common presentation.

Advice until you see your doctor:

* Don't take loperamide (Imodium) or any other constipating agent e.g. codeine. Diarrhoea is your body's way of fighting any pathogen
* Keep hydrated. OTC hydration salts/Lucozade sport/Gatorade will suffice
* Look out for signs such as blood in stools, fever
* If you have 'wind' pains, try Simethicone
* If you have abdominal cramps hyoscine butylbromide (Buscopan)

***AVOID***
* Caffeine, NSAIDs, alcohol

It's likely you'll have a stool sample taken, which will ultimately dictate treatment.

Best of luck, and don't panic!

Thanks for the advice.

Today and yesterday was quite bad after a couple of days of it being ok (no diahrrea those days).

Kingdawson
15-11-18, 15:57
Update

So I had a stool sample and the doc said it's completely normal and no further action needed. I'm quite shocked to be honest as I thought(And hoped tbh) that a bacterial or parasitic infection would be seen so I could chalk it down to that and get something to clear it. Still have intermittent diahrea but the pain has kinda gone. A bit crampy sometimes though still.

What to do next?

Kingdawson
15-11-18, 20:54
Anyone..

Fishmanpa
15-11-18, 20:59
Update

So I had a stool sample and the doc said it's completely normal and no further action needed. I'm quite shocked to be honest as I thought(And hoped tbh) that a bacterial or parasitic infection would be seen so I could chalk it down to that and get something to clear it. Still have intermittent diahrea but the pain has kinda gone. A bit crampy sometimes though still.

What to do next?

Anyone?

Actually it sounds like it's getting better. The tests showed nothing so perhaps it was just a bug you picked up and as you know, it takes a little time for things to return to normal.

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
15-11-18, 22:09
Actually it sounds like it's getting better. The tests showed nothing so perhaps it was just a bug you picked up and as you know, it takes a little time for things to return to normal.

Positive thoughts

Yeh maybe mate. It's just that I personally know 2 people that had done a stool sample test and nothing was found....only for an infection to be found after another test. These things are hard to detect.

Anyway I'm gonna enjoy myself this weekend and ride this out for a bit. Will get it checked out again at the hospital for tropical medicine if it persists.

Hypomania
16-11-18, 03:22
So I returned 2 weeks ago from an amazing holiday from ghana and my stomach hasn't been right since. Diahrea (not all the time but it's there) and intermittent stomach cramps/pain. It started about 4 days into the holiday(basically the day before we left.)

I've got a doc appointment on tuesday and I know the likelihood of it being some sort of stomach parasite infection is probably quite high. Can you guys recommend any tips on what I can do to alliviete the symptoms.

Sounds a bit like my experience at the end of my holiday in Africa. Started getting pretty brutal watery diarrhea the day before we left, and non-stop during the 11 hour trip home. It was intermittent after the worst days, kind of like yours, and completely stopped as of 3 weeks ago.

Despite being a massive hypochondriac, I didn't get it checked, but I didn't practice the best hand hygiene, so I assumed it was a bug that eventually went through me.

Kingdawson
16-11-18, 11:18
Sounds a bit like my experience at the end of my holiday in Africa. Started getting pretty brutal watery diarrhea the day before we left, and non-stop during the 11 hour trip home. It was intermittent after the worst days, kind of like yours, and completely stopped as of 3 weeks ago.

Despite being a massive hypochondriac, I didn't get it checked, but I didn't practice the best hand hygiene, so I assumed it was a bug that eventually went through me.

How long did yours last?

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

The Dr called me now confirming stool was normal(it was the receptionist the told me yesterday). He did say that it's a bug/infection. I was confused and asked how my stool was normal then...he stated they only test for the "serious" bugs/parasites so I probably have one they dont even test for.

RadioGaGa
16-11-18, 20:17
You have nothing left to worry about. It's been confirmed by the stool sample.

Even the more serious infections are generally very easy to treat with a dose of mebendazole.

Good luck :)

Hypomania
17-11-18, 16:17
How long did yours last?

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

The Dr called me now confirming stool was normal(it was the receptionist the told me yesterday). He did say that it's a bug/infection. I was confused and asked how my stool was normal then...he stated they only test for the "serious" bugs/parasites so I probably have one they dont even test for.

I'd say mine lasted a week or a week and a half. It was really bad for the first few days, then my stools returned to normal for a bit, and then returned to diarrhea for the remainder.

Kingdawson
22-11-18, 09:07
Update
So as of last week Wednesday the diahrrea stopped and my bowel movements have returned to normal.

The only thing that I've noticed now that has persisted is that my stomach rumbles more often then it did prior to the holiday. Shall I just ignore it? I heard digestive enzymes work well?

Kingdawson
28-11-18, 10:16
Still making sounds. It does it a lot when I'm lying on my back....My anxiety makes me super focus in on it. My missus says everyone's stomach makes sounds if you focus in on it in a quiet room and I'm being silly.

Anxiety sucks because it always makes you focus in on everything.

Kingdawson
30-11-18, 20:34
Bump

So loose stool returned yesterday and stomach still making weird sounds. Today I was sure I saw a couple of things in my stool that resembled worms. Doc says another stool sample is needed.

Carys
30-11-18, 20:45
I think another stool sample is definitely needed KingDawson! I have been chatting with goldie on her thread about this type of thing, but I came back from India with amoebic dystentry and then IBS followed it unfortunately. However it wasn't diahorrea again, so I think its wise for them to start doing some more extensive checks for you to be honest.

Kingdawson
30-11-18, 21:51
I think another stool sample is definitely needed KingDawson! I have been chatting with goldie on her thread about this type of thing, but I came back from India with amoebic dystentry and then IBS followed it unfortunately. However it wasn't diahorrea again, so I think its wise for them to start doing some more extensive checks for you to be honest.

Yep agreed. If these issues are prolonged it can be an even bigger issue so best to persists until they find the culprit of the issues.

Fishmanpa
30-11-18, 22:07
Yep... don't ignore what looks like worms ;)

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
30-11-18, 22:22
Yep... don't ignore what looks like worms ;)

Positive thoughts

It's such a shame because I had such a brilliant holiday lol.

I've never really had stomach issues prior to this and I remember the feeling in ghana the day before I left was hellllll. Pain and diahrea galore. I'm positive that the culprit will eventually be found...I have faith lol.

Fishmanpa
30-11-18, 22:32
That's the right attitude! :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Carys
30-11-18, 23:01
Yeah, itll be discovered....maybe no parasite check was done? I agree FMP - fab positive attitude which is so rare here. You know what, my appalling pain and watery outbursts started at the airport on the way home. I can empathise as it was HELL rushing to very badly provided foreign toilets, with not even any toilet paper. Then knowing I had another 12 hour flight feeling like that....gawd. It was nearly 30 years ago, but I am scarred :winks::D

madeuprolemodel
02-12-18, 12:20
I had the worst stomach from my return from Mexico!went to the doctors and they said it was ecoli and salmonella!

PALZIO9
02-12-18, 20:29
try some tea, i always say this ebacuse it strue

Carys
07-12-18, 17:16
Hows it going King Dawson.....any closer to feeling better or finding out what you picked up abroad ?

Kingdawson
07-12-18, 19:20
Hows it going King Dawson.....any closer to feeling better or finding out what you picked up abroad ?

Hi Carys. Yeh I'm doing ok thanks...no pain..no diahrea ...nothing really except annoying stomach sounds lol. Stool is a bit looser since coming back and it's the same with my brother and wife. Some days it's ok and Some days loose. Frequency is the same though.

I did an extensive stool sample for parasites and swab in the mouth complete bacteria as well. Results should be with me next week. I think if it's negative again after this I'll accept it and move on as I've kinda exhausted all options. Maybe it's post bug low level IBS which can happen.

Carys
07-12-18, 19:31
I think if it's negative again after this I'll accept it and move on as I've kinda exhausted all options. Maybe it's post bug low level IBS which can happen.

Yep, good plan.....sounds like its gradually going in the right direction anyway. It can take AGES to get your bowels back to normal after a really bad stomach bug picked up abroad.

Kingdawson
14-12-18, 18:19
Update

Got a phone call from the doc saying no parasite but I have a bacteria imbalance. Will send me an email of the results in full.

Carys
14-12-18, 18:38
Probiotics?

Kingdawson
14-12-18, 19:03
Probiotics?

Hoping it's that and no need for anti biotics. Quite scared of them tbh.

Carys
14-12-18, 19:38
Well, I'm not an antibiotic fan either as it happens, so snap there. An 'imbalance' would indicate normal gut bacteria that have grown out of proportion to each other......surely there would have been a bacterial culture grown if there was something that needed treating. Did he make no suggestions over the phone?

Kingdawson
14-12-18, 20:14
Well, I'm not an antibiotic fan either as it happens, so snap there. An 'imbalance' would indicate normal gut bacteria that have grown out of proportion to each other......surely there would have been a bacterial culture grown if there was something that needed treating. Did he make no suggestions over the phone?

None. She said my bacteria was "out of sync" and that recomendations will be made via email later on. I assumed that meant imbalance tbh.

So your basically saying more bad bacteria than good?

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Ive also had this strange symptom the last couple of days where I can hear a sort of fizzing/Sizzling sound coming from the back of my neck. Kinda like little gas bubbles. Read a lot about it and quite a lot of people have described it and it's usually there when my stomach rumbles (Which is like all the time now lol)

Kingdawson
15-12-18, 02:03
Further update:

Diagnosis is "dysbiosis and an acidic pH". Quite a few of my bacterias were off tbh. Remedies thank god are Pro biotics but quite a few of them tackling certain bacterias. Said it MIGHT take a course of anti biotics to level everything up but doubts it.

Carys
15-12-18, 09:08
Goodo. All natural gut bacteria are 'good' I believe, it is when some grow out of proprtion with the others and to a wrong level that they become an issue...its what I had after my dysentry many years ago, imbalanced gut bacteria.

Kingdawson
15-12-18, 11:03
Goodo. All natural gut bacteria are 'good' I believe, it is when some grow out of proprtion with the others and to a wrong level that they become an issue...its what I had after my dysentry many years ago, imbalanced gut bacteria.

I'm just glad that it looks like I've found the root cause. Now I know what it is I feel less anxious and more relaxed which Is all I wanted. I wasn't going mad and imaging it and glad I insisted on the follow up check.

Kingdawson
28-12-18, 17:20
Bump:

Need some advice. So I've been taking various Pro biotics (and a few other things recommended by the doc) for a few weeks now and the only symptom that persists is noisy stomach. The pain went a while ago and so did the diahrrea. Stools don't appear to be loose anymore as well.

The doc said I should come back if it doesn't improve in a couple of weeks and I could have a specific antibiotic that will literally wipe out all the bacteria and I can start from a clean slate with these supplements. Being that it's only a rumbling stomach issue now (touch wood) shall I consider this a success and leave the antibiotic idea (Which obviously could trigger more issues) or shall I get the prescription in hope that it ummm quietens down my stomach?

Carys
28-12-18, 17:29
Well, if it were me, and all that was left was a noisy grumbling gut I would not go down the anti-biotic route at this point. It could be that over the next few weeks that easily sorts itself out anyway, and you have nothing to lose by waiting to see if it does. You aren't ill anymore, or suffering in any way, so why not wait and see?

Kingdawson
02-01-19, 12:22
Well, if it were me, and all that was left was a noisy grumbling gut I would not go down the anti-biotic route at this point. It could be that over the next few weeks that easily sorts itself out anyway, and you have nothing to lose by waiting to see if it does. You aren't ill anymore, or suffering in any way, so why not wait and see?

Yep thanks for this. I think I'm gonna just leave it. Why risk encountering an even bigger issue when the only issue now is rumbling.

Kingdawson
22-01-19, 16:04
Bump

So I was feeling fine with no symptoms other than rumbling but a few weeks ago my wife was diagnosed with H.Pylori. This made me go back to my docs to get tested for it (they tested for parasites and other bacterial infections). Anyway was told today I have H.Pylori so I'm kinda glad the mystery is solved.

Anyone had H.Pylori before?

Kingdawson
28-01-19, 14:58
Day 2 of anti biotics and getting diahrrea. Anyone else can't stomach antibiotics?

Kingdawson
03-02-19, 19:49
Bump

Ok so finished the triple therapy antibiotic course yesterday. Besides loose stool and a gurgling stomach the side effect was not that bad tbh (1 bout of diahrrea).

How long will it take for stomach to go back to 'normal? What shall I do to aid the healing process? I'm taking a decent Pro biotic but my my stomach feels somewhat tender and gurgles a lot....like random popping sounds lol.

Fishmanpa
03-02-19, 20:17
Bump

Ok so finished the triple therapy antibiotic course yesterday. Besides loose stool and a gurgling stomach the side effect was not that bad tbh (1 bout of diahrrea).

How long will it take for stomach to go back to 'normal? What shall I do to aid the healing process? I'm taking a decent Pro biotic but my my stomach feels somewhat tender and gurgles a lot....like random popping sounds lol.

Glad the treatment treated you decent. I had to take a two week dose of two strong antibiotics after my bout with diverticulitis last year and it took a good month before my stomach settled down and my appetite returned.

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
03-02-19, 20:27
Glad the treatment treated you decent. I had to take a two week dose of two strong antibiotics after my bout with diverticulitis last year and it took a good month before my stomach settled down and my appetite returned.

Positive thoughts

What were your side effects?

Fishmanpa
03-02-19, 20:37
What were your side effects?

Loose bowels, indigestion, nausea, no appetite, you name it. Between the illness and the meds, it definitely was worse before it got better.

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
03-02-19, 22:02
Loose bowels, indigestion, nausea, no appetite, you name it. Between the illness and the meds, it definitely was worse before it got better.

Positive thoughts

Thanks mate. My stomach feels like it bubbling even more than before and it's really annoying...it just doesn't feel right and loose stool as well. Guess I just ride it out for a while.

ErinKC
04-02-19, 01:24
I can't take a while to even out your stomach after a course of antibiotics. I'd just keep taking the probiotics, try to eat mild and healthy foods, and you should be back to normal soon. I started on probiotics after antibiotics really hit my gut hard few months ago and just kept taking them for the next several months because it became part of my routine. I just finally stopped because they are so pricy and I think my heartburn/reflux is worse than it was before, so I may go back to them.

Kingdawson
08-02-19, 21:33
Hi guys just need some support and advice as you guys are always reassuring and I feel annoyed/down.

So a few days after stopping the anti biotics..it looked and felt like I was getting back to normal but a couple of days ago I got diahrea again. What alarmed me is that it looked very dark brown/black So I rushed to A and E panicking. They did a few blood tests and basically said there's no internal bleeding as it would have showed on the tests they did (they also tested for hemeroids which was not the best feeling but confirmed I do have them ...which I already knew). Anyway I've had quite a few movements since then which was 'normal" colour and she said my binge drinking on cognac the day before probably caused the darker stool...

Anyway the diahrea is still there. It's weird that I haven't had diahrea for 3 months and it's back a few days after the antiobiotic use. I just feel down because it takes me back to when I had the original bout of it during and after returning from holiday which lasted nearly 3 weeks.

I kind of feel like I'm back to square one again. Was reluctant to take the anti biotics as h.pylori infection sometimes doesn't need treatment if experiencing no symptoms (and I really only had stomach growling left).

Health anxiety sucks because it makes you feel everything is final.

Kingdawson
24-05-19, 13:24
bump
for all those going through stomach issues I wanted to update this.

so until now I've still had a very uneasy stomach with various symptoms. I've seen blood, diahrrea that cones and goes, gurgling/growling plenty, weight loss...you name it I've seen it.

bloods normal..fecal occult normal but still symptoms come and go. It got to the point that the doc said a colonscopy or virtual colonscopy was worthwhile.

I went for the virtual colonscopy as the prep isn't meant to be as bad ( it was pretty bad with diahrrea galore).

Anyway got my result today and nothing found..nada..not even a polyp which I was sure was there. No cancer, no disease, a perfectly healthy bowel.

I write this because I know the feeling health anxiety causes and I know it's uncontrollable. I had every bad symptom you can imagine and it was nothing so please don't self diagnose. I literally thought my life was over...I was very selfish and started caring about myself and nobody else. it absolutely suck how HA makes you do this.

my father passed in 2011 from a perforated bowel which was sudden. Took about a year for the Health anxiety to start but when it did it was brutal.

I'm leaving this place for a while to clear my head but I'll be back to hopefully support others. Right now I have to start living again.

Fishmanpa
24-05-19, 13:46
Thanks for the update KingD and just a bit of advice. Look into the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet. Keep a journal of what you eat and such. Can't hurt ;)

Positive thoughts

Kingdawson
01-11-21, 08:29
bump

didn't want to start a new thread so dug up an old thread of mine as it's same issue.

Last Tuesday night I had really bad stomach cramps and persistent watery diahrrea, nausea and a headache.

fast forward to today and a noisy stomach and diahrrea remains (on and off).Anyone had a prolonged stomach bug?

BlueIris
01-11-21, 08:33
All the time, yes. It can last for weeks.

Kingdawson
01-11-21, 09:22
@blueris

Thanks for the response. It's annoying because I've been through all this myself and did all sorts of tests so I know it can last a long time. I just get really anxious when it comes to stomach related issues and want it to go quickly.