PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I'm going to die, need reassurance

WhyIsItAllSoSpooky
13-11-18, 04:27
The title is self explanatory.

Basically, about a week ago, I noticed this little rash on my arm that looked like two red dots next to each other. This was on around the 4th-5th of November. Soon after, I developed a cold. Major sore throat, too. Me, being the hypochondriac I am, thought that it was rabies. I started freaking out, and my main idea of putting those fears at bay was to suck up to the pain and basically chug water every few minutes to prove to myself I didn't have hydrophobia.

I went to my college's health center to get it checked out, and I raised my concerns about it being a possible bat bite that I got from my house over the weekend. They said they couldn't verify it legally, but that it probably wasn't a bat bite.

I went home again on the weekend, as I always do. Now, granted, we usually have one door open to the outside, but however, seeing as my Mom and Dad are usually pretty good about when things (ie like 3 birds over 18 years) get into a room in the house, I decided to ask my Mom about the possibility of any bats getting into the house. She said that as far as she can remember (they built the house in the 60s-70s era), she couldn't remember any bats getting in the house ever. At all. The only animals we've ever had in the house are a dog, a cat, a rabbit (who kicked it a few years back) and in the outside next to us, some goats. All of whom are vaccinated.

I went to my doctor, asked him about it, he looked at it, said it was fine. Phew! Got a flu vaccine too, pretty close to the same spot.

So, no bats in the house ever, I got over the cold, doc said it's all good, and everything is fine, right?

Wrong. Earlier tonight, the area around the "bite" so to speak started getting pains every now and then, and now my mind is racing wild thinking that any day now I'm going to basically go 28 days later on everyone around me and usher in myself into a great coma and then die at 18 from a bat rabies bite.

I get really involved in my hypochondria to the point where I actively study medical literature regarding my fears (namely rabies and brain tumors) and devise possible experimental treatment plans to go along with things in case I do get the disease one day. My current one for rabies has to deal with the fact that the majority of people who survive have a more permeable BBB than those who kick it. If I can get a more permeable BBB, or open it somehow, the immune system can help clear out the virus like it does in so many tests in the labs.

Regardless, I'd like some re-assurance as to the fact that I don't have rabies. In fact, the little rash/bump thing was thought to be an ingrown hair by the nurse and the doctor, and I did shave my arm around there a few days prior to me noticing the bump. Doesn't change the fact that my mind is going wild, and my hypochondria goes HARD with somatic symptoms when I think about it. Guess who's getting head pains while I type this out, and won't get head pains when I stop thinking about it? You're looking at them.

Here's a link to the infamous rash: https://pasteboard.co/HMVhpUO.jpg

Nameuser
13-11-18, 09:05
I know this post isn’t funny, but those last few sentences about somatic symptoms made me smile because I can relate so much! First things first rabies is pretty much unheard of in the UK so I’ve not got much knowledge on the subject but I do know that it would be so incredibly unlikely that you have rabies. If you got bitten by a bat I’m pretty sure you’d know about it?! You’ve been to several medical professionals and none of them have thought it’s rabies so try to focus on that. The pains are 99% somatic and I only leave 1% because I’m wondering if the flu jab could of irritated your arm. Either way please try not to worry because there’s perfectly good explanations for all your symptoms (ingrown hair, flu jab, somatic symptoms etc) and all the medical EXPERTS have assured you that you’re fine :)

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

Ps: after I get any sort of injection or blood drawn etc etc I always get pains in my arm for at least a few days (sometimes longer) afterwards. It’s all in my head because subconsciously I’m thinking about it so that’s why the somatic symptoms come on