PDA

View Full Version : I don't often ask for help.....red ear.....

Carys
13-11-18, 15:07
I've had my TJD really badly all week, so have been doing warm compresses and so on. That is MUCH better, but yesterday my ear was really itchy all over the pina. I scratched pretty darned hard in various places and then used a warm compress.....my ear (outside upper part) came out hot feeling, red and quite inflammed looking nearly instantly and carried on getting a bit worse through the evening. I ahve been massaging my ear a lot and pulling it around.

The trouble is, although it has got a weeny bit better and not so hot....I'm in a major stress. Of course I'm jumping to cellulitis (or similar) - well, thats not strictly true, I've reassured myself for a day but have never had anything like this. It doesn't feel tender, no glands are up, no fluid coming off it and no temperature and no skin break that I can see etc.Its certainly not getting worse/spread, but it also isn't better. Its not even been 24 hours yet....I know, I know....but some words of wisdom would be appreciated as I'm not usually prone to HA issues nowadays, but am struggling with this one....can you scratch your ear to the point of making it red and swollen looking?

LouiseAndy
13-11-18, 15:23
A mixture of scratching/the warm compression can defo cause the area to be red! Like I used a heating pad of the side of my face (after a tooth was removed), it covered my ear also. It was red for like 2/3 days afterwards! I also go through days that no matter HOW hard to scratched/dig at my ear it won't stop being itchy.

Also when I was younger, I used a shampoo that made my ears feel strange. The constant rubbing at them, made them so red and swollen! It's like if you keep scratching at your arm. The skin will be very red and tender for a day or so!

Sorry for that ramble of words!

Carys
13-11-18, 15:24
Gosh, thanks everso. So, I can expect kind of swollenness along with the red? I scratched kind of in the fold along the outter edge and that seems pretty inflammed.

Buster70
13-11-18, 15:55
Carys , ears are so sensitive I trapped mine in crocodile clip once ( stupid bet ) it swelled up straight away and was throbbing for days , it doesn't take much to make them sore even a bit of sunburn, maybe put some ice in a flannel to take the swelling down but best thing and I know it's hard just leave it alone stop touching it .
Take care .:)

Carys
13-11-18, 17:40
Ah its the ear expert !!!!! LOL Sorry, a errr,,,,,crocodible clip !?! lol Thanks Buster

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

I only had some frozen french beans, and that didn't work very well.....so went for very cold water instead. Derrr, haven't occurred to me to do that even !

Carnation
13-11-18, 19:41
Carys, I've made my ear red and hot and even swollen by probing, pulling and rubbing. As others have said, they are very sensitive. Be careful with too cold a compress though, always wrap in a t.towel. Ears pretty much settle down of their own accord and very quickly. They are odd things really, we don't really pay much attention to them, just as well because they sort of look after themselves. :)

Carys
13-11-18, 21:30
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I don't usually let things get to me like this, I'm usually pretty astute nowadays at casting ideas aside. HA isn't something I feel that bothers me at all usually....but when faced with something rather odd and then it not resolving..and getting anxious about an appointment next week for something else I got myself into a stew. So, no change here yet in the pinna sense, the cold water thing was ok, and calmed things, but now I've stopped it it looks the same. Hoping tomorrow brings a change. I'm trying to hang onto your words, but because I generally don't struggle with HA ever nowadays, when it does happen it makes me think that this time I 'must' be right lol Damn it.

Buster70
13-11-18, 22:05
That's the trouble with anxiety we find the tiniest change in our bodies or mind and can't think of anything else until it's resolved Ive done it so many times but we don't bloody learn . I do try to keep my medical credentials under wraps for fear of being swamped with questions but let's just say I walked through ear nose and throat ten times to see my mother in hospital the other week so I am qualified , I even asked an ENT Doctor for directions several times so I'm pretty much over qualified.
As for the ear just sleep on it or even better don't .:D

pulisa
14-11-18, 08:11
I hope the ear is settling down this morning. I'm sure you have a lot on your mind and it doesn't take a lot for HA to creep in..You've helped a lot of people on here and sometimes HA can be a bit "contagious"... Get the ear checked out by a pharmacist for starters if you would feel better having someone look at it?

Carys
14-11-18, 11:33
Hiyer P....thanks....just off to doc actually...Will update shortly. Pretty bad this am.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Well.....she isn't sure whats going on. It is even redder today and swollen, but she said there are no markers for infection and more for trauma - however, she couldn't be sure it wasn't an infection. So, I have a script for antibiotics but can hold off taking them and see if I can get it to resolve over the next day or so.

KK77
14-11-18, 12:18
Hiyer P....thanks....just off to doc actually...Will update shortly. Pretty bad this am.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Well.....she isn't sure whats going on. It is even redder today and swollen, but she said there are no markers for infection and more for trauma - however, she couldn't be sure it wasn't an infection. So, I have a script for antibiotics but can hold off taking them and see if I can get it to resolve over the next day or so.

Sounds (excuse pun) more inflamed than infected to me. Have you tried a course of anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen for a few days? Think you're wise to hold off taking antibiotics for a while.

Carnation
14-11-18, 13:29
Does it hurt Carys. Like a throb or sting? x

Carys
14-11-18, 13:40
Does it hurt Carys. Like a throb or sting? xWell not hugely no.....the ear lobe does now as it's filled with fluid and red. The other red part (about half the ear but all on the outside, not near the earhole) is fine to touch. She said that was probably gravity taking the fluid (whatever it is that swells tissue) down to the bottom. She did have a puzzled look on her face actually lol I am certain it was the area I was pulling and scratching, bit has bacteria entered whilst scratching...I don't know.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Sounds (excuse pun) more inflamed than infected to me. Have you tried a course of anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen for a few days? Think you're wise to hold off taking antibiotics for a while.Thanks KK.....lying here with a cool pad on. Not taken ibuprofen , as I'm not good with it, but appreciate it wpuld be sensible.

YOu know, that was my first visit to a GP in years - I've been a couple of times in the last 5 years, but related to a more serious medical condition. I don't want people to think I'm a reassurance seeker, as I am an 'avoider' for things medical actually LOL

Carnation
14-11-18, 14:34
I wondered if you got stung by something, with this humid and warmer than average temperatures. My partner got done on the ankle, which was swollen and red. Fluid and red can also be from a scratch. I had that on finger. Try not to touch it too much and if you can get some witch hazel gel, it works wonders for cooling down and healing. It sounds like you didn't get much joy at the docs. :( well done for going. x

Carys
14-11-18, 14:44
Hiyer Carnation - no, it definitely literally followed the scratching quite hard (in three locations on the ear) and then the warm compress. An hour later half my ear was bright red and double the size, seriously. Do you know? I think I did her a disservice; I booked an appointment first thing this am, feeling delighted I'd been able to (you know how it is) and turned up and wasn't able to book in. I'd actually booked 20th November, that was the first free one LOL! I kicked up a bit of a fuss and looked sobby on reception, and this GP saw me in a few minutes. I was honestly hyperventilating in the foyer before seeing her. She was pretty good actually, the reason why she just didn't know was because she admitted it was very red and swollen; but normal temp, no discharge, ear itself clear, very sudden onset etc. She asked even if I had applied anything to my ear that I'd reacted to. So, she said that she felt it was more likely trauma, but if I became unwell or it showed no signs of reversing in a day or so, then to try antibiotics. She said she couldn't be entirely sure that it wasn't bacterial in origin, hence giving the script if I needed it.

You know - has anyone ever put in an earring that was hard to get through, or too large a post or you are allergic to. The lobe comes up really suddenly and goes tight red and itchy for a few days - its like that. Maybe its just me that the earring thing happens to ? LOL

Carnation
14-11-18, 15:00
So you think the scratching has inflamed it, caused the swelling, but there has to be a underlying other reason, for the scratching in the first place. :shrug:
You mentioned the reaction with an earring and that has happened to me lots of times and that was going to be my other thought for being red and itchy.
It's amazing how you find the courage to seek help when you think you might be in danger. Luck was definitely on your side. When you told us you had an appointment today, I thought???? "Eh, had did you manage that?" 3 days is the minimum, if you are lucky.
Let's hope this goes down of its own accord and keep posting if it helps you. x

Carys
14-11-18, 16:42
Hiyer, Its kind of a long story- ready, you'll regret asking lol - Go back 5 or so days. I had been painting all day and had my head turned sideways doing skirting boards. I was also chewing gum, very cleverly on the side I also have TJD! So, come the end of the day...well...the next morning... the inside of this ear was itching like crazy and I had about the worst ever TJD flare-up ever. So, rested the jaw, applied heat things and did some exercises as necessary. BUT....the itchy inside of the ear I had scratched away at during my sleep a fair amount and it felt really sore. So for 2 days I also added antiseptic stuff to my ear canal, a number of times a day. To do this I was gripping and pulling the outter ear fairly firmly, it was getting a bit painful and itchy itself. So, I scratched it, as mentioned before at the start, fairly hard in a few places, and used the heat pad for the TJD. The laugh is the TJD is doing well, and the itchy inside of the ear is nice and clear and not infected. Cue bright red inflamed outter ear which was not the original issue ..... :blush::blush::blush:

Carnation
14-11-18, 20:38
You don't do things by halves Carys :D
So, it sounds like you have aggravated it as the ears are sensitive. As you know you only have to give them a rub and they go blush red. When you sleep tonight, try plumping the pillows a little higher so you don't fall heavy on that side. Tie your hair up if it is brushing against your ear. I know you will do all things anyway. x

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Just a thought....
Did you use turps to wash your hands from the paint, then touched your ears?

pulisa
14-11-18, 20:43
I was wondering whether it might be an allergic reaction too?

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-18, 03:26
Reaction to the paint? Maybe turps as Carnation asked?

Cellulitis - for one, don't think of this and think of the stuff you read about in the media. Yes, it can get like that but it can also be very mild. Both my parents have had it and it was over a week each time before they even saw their GP. A quick course of antibiotics & anti-inflammatories and it was gone. I don't believe you have this, and it's likely your GP would spot it anyway, but even so it's not as scary as it's often been portrayed.

Can a wound site go red & inflamed from scratching? Absolutely. It is healing and damage to the skin can mean blood is rushed to the area which means inflammation.

I'm a skin picker so it's common for me to dig my nails in and cause stuff like this. Sometimes it's a normal looking scabby thing as you expect but other times, especially if my nails are longer than normal and they dig in with long scratching motions (like when asleep), I will have long scratch marks that will swell alone their length as if it were a cut.

I remember my GP once asking me "is there any heat" in a inflamed toe I had from the endless daily walking. He said if there was heat then infection is likely but unlikely without it.

You tend to get discolouration with infection too but then you can get that will a wound site for other reasons as well as on bruises.

Apologies for the late response, I didn't see it and haven't been checking these boards much recently. Only spotted it by chance :doh: as you aren't someone who posts much other than to help others (as shown by the amount of people wanting to help you!).

---------- Post added at 03:26 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

I found this expert guide recently :winks:

Yes, thats what I like about many children, they know when they are ok to keep going and know when its time to stop when they feel truly unwell. They are kind of 'on' or 'off' LOL They usually get going after something traumatic or an injury of illness so much quicker than we do.

Lets look at wounds too.....for anyone interested.....its the most incredible process if you think about it.

Most of us take wound healing for granted. If you get a small cut, you may clean and cover it with a bandage, and move on with your life. Yet under that bandage (or in the open air), the body orchestrates a complex cascade of events designed to heal wounds big and small.

The basic steps of wound healing are:

Stopping the bleeding (hemostasis). When your skin is cut, scraped, or punctured, you usually start to bleed. Within minutes or even seconds, blood cells start to clump together and clot, protecting the wound and preventing further blood loss. These clots, which turn into scabs as they dry, are created by a type of blood cell called a platelet. The clot also contains a protein called fibrin, which forms a net to hold the clot in place.
Inflammation. Once the wound is closed with a clot, the blood vessels can open a bit to allow fresh nutrients and oxygen into the wound for healing. Blood-borne oxygen is essential for healing. The right balance of oxygen is also important — too much or too little and the wound won't heal correctly. Another type of blood cell, a white blood cell called a macrophage, takes on the role of wound protector. This cell fights infection and oversees the repair process. You might see some clear fluid on or around the cut at this time. That is helping clean out the wound. Macrophages also produce chemical messengers, called growth factors, which help repair the wound.
Growth and rebuilding. Blood cells, including oxygen-rich red blood cells, arrive to help build new tissue. Chemical signals instruct cells to create collagen, which serves as a type of scaffolding, and other tissues to begin the repair process. Occasionally, you see the result of this process as a scar that starts out red and eventually dulls.
Strengthening. Over time, the new tissue gets stronger. You might notice stretching, itching, and even puckering of the wound as that happens. Within 3 months, the wound is almost as strong in its repair as it was before the trauma. The entire healing process might take a couple of years to complete.

Carnation
15-11-18, 10:15
How are you today Carys? x

Carys
15-11-18, 16:28
Heyyyyyyer,

Well, I have to say that I think, fingers crossed, there has been a slight change for the better. I now notice that also, but rather feint, in a ring around the ear (but a gap of a few cms from the ear) my skin is rather pink too. I have now put two and two together, it MUST have been the heat source after the rubbing of the various areas for a day or so (Husband said to use rechargeable hand warmer on the lowest setting!) I didn't keep it in one place, and just brushed it over the area of the TJD, but clearly it was enough for my rather raw skin to react and get inflammed. Glad I held off on the antibiotics!!! I think its going to take weeks to get back to normal to be honest, but I'm pretty sure its heading there at a very slow pace. Tempted to put up a cautionaray picture? If anyone is daft enough to do something similar. LOL

Carnation
15-11-18, 18:07
That sounds like a step in the right direction Carys. :)

Carys
15-11-18, 18:54
Basically gave myself a 1st degree burn, ontop of raw skin. What an idiot! No wonder the doctor wasn't sure about infection, as when I said 'warm compress' I doubt she had 'fairly hot' in her head. Now, it all makes sense, I've had radiation burns and should have seen the signs.

Carnation
15-11-18, 19:45
We all do things like that. I've burnt the top of my ear with my hair tongs loads of times. :blush:
So, it's just a matter of time for the healing.

Carys
15-11-18, 20:09
We all do things like that.
You reckon ? I'm not sure we all singe our ears and end up with an ear that is double the size, bright red all over and like something from a cartoon lol I think it might just be us.....

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread, you kept me calm, and I REALLY needed it. I didn't start the antibiotics, luckily, despite feeling like I had a spreading germ going on.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-18, 02:41
That might explain the fluid build up then, that can happen with burns.

It's just one of those daft things we do like a hot tap burn or a burn of the oven. Right it off as a :doh: moment...or milk it to get your husband doing all the chores :winks:

Glad you are doing better.

pulisa
16-11-18, 08:37
At least I've learned what a pinna is!:)

Glad your auricular troubles have been sussed, Carys and what a good job you didn't start those antibiotics!!

Carnation
16-11-18, 09:22
And the fluid turned out to be a burn blister. It all makes sense now.
This will have to go in to our online medical book. :)

Carys
16-11-18, 10:18
That might explain the fluid build up then, that can happen with burns.
Yep, absolutely! I also wanted to thank you for the earlier response you made on this thread. I thought I had done so, and tried to edit to add, but I'm having issues on this site and keep getting faults with that edit function. Thanks everso for your reassurance and kind words Terry, I did read them at the time and was grateful for them.

Yep, ladies add it to the medical dictionary......scratching and heat pads on the ear produce pretty severe fluid/swelling/redness. DONT DO IT KIDS. :roflmao:On the positive side, and this is certainly a HA lesson (Mind, people don't visit other threads who need to read this type of thing); the thing that looked definitely awful and 'A and E worthy' was something that is 50 percent better today, with literally nothing done treatment-wise at all. So see...those who have issues with thinking the worst of symptoms, this proves how wrong you can be.

I honestly honestly look for obvious benign cause and effect, in everything nowadays regarding health, but this one pushed me too far and I went into panic mode LOL

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-18, 15:03
I thought the pinna was a typo so I've learned too :biggrin:

More counter evidence for future worries then, Carys. Don't berate yourself for it, it's a blip. We only learn from them.

When you mentioned a photo for a cautionary tale of I was wondering if you meant you were unhappy with the paint job :biggrin:

Carys
16-11-18, 15:57
THAT isn't finished......as had to take a break due to this damned issue. :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-18, 16:04
Isn't that what husbands are for? :yesyes:

Carys
16-11-18, 16:09
That was a very gender biased comment Terry :roflmao:Not in my house, I've always done every single painting and decorating job, I'm not a feminist....(well I kind of am lol) I just do a better job and get on with it. :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-18, 16:16
:roflmao: yes but who was on the bad end of the bias? I saw you as boss and him as dogsbody which satisfies feminism in one way if not another :yesyes:

My mum would say it's less hassle to do it yourself. If she makes dad do it she is treated to a day of complaining about the paint, the wall, the lids, where the turps has moved itself to, why the brushes aren't in their special brushy place, etc.

I grew up in a house where mum was always the boss :biggrin:

Carys
16-11-18, 16:42
Oh yes...you are right.....I am in charge of alllllll that. Brushes treated a certain way, washed a certain way blah blah, right towels in right place. Most importantly, I'm a perfectionist, and want the job done really well....and would struggle with anything less than that...if you get my drift. :D

Carys
18-11-18, 16:11
Arrghhhhh all my skin is peeling off.....I'm gonna look well manky ! :scared15:

Carnation
18-11-18, 17:39
Whatever you do, don't start picking at it, you will only make it sore. :hugs:

Carys
18-11-18, 17:40
...and before you know it.....I will be home treating and causing the next problem. :D

Buster70
18-11-18, 18:44
This might help with the temptation to scratch, I think they are available on prescription :)

Carys
18-11-18, 18:55
Cheers Buster - your ENT medical credentials are really on show today. I might have some here already, leftover from the 70s?

pulisa
18-11-18, 19:46
I'd offer you mine from the 30s seeing as I'm older than you......