PDA

View Full Version : My sister had cancer..

Toby2000
13-11-18, 23:24
When she was about 3-5, she had an apparently rare childhood cancer called ganglioneuroblastoma and it nearly killed her but she survived thanks to an amazing surgeon. She's 15 now.

But what if I get it too? I think it's rare for adults to get it but I've been feeling aches over my abdomen a lot recently and I'm starting to wonder.. what if it's my turn now?

"Neuroblastoma, ganglioneuroblastoma, and ganglioneuroma are often located in the posterior mediastinum.47 While neuroblastoma and ganglioneuroblastoma occur mainly in childhood, ganglioneuroma affects older adolescents and young adults. There is a slight male predominance. Cytologic diagnosis of neurogenic tumors is possible with fine-needle aspiration.73,111–115 The cytologic spectrum varies from undifferentiated small round cells to mature ganglion cells in a fibrillary background."

I'm 18:weep:

MyNameIsTerry
14-11-18, 05:01
That must have been a very scary time for you all. Another thing to be grateful for about doctors when they beat it.

I think you know what we are going to say. You are going to see your GP soon so it's a question to put to them but if she says no you need to work on stopping yourself going down another "what if" cancer route.

Remember, your diet isn't good, you have IBS like symptoms, the worms issue, fissure, etc. Anxiety on top of it all which causes problems with bowels. These are your likely culprits.

Toby2000
14-11-18, 05:40
That must have been a very scary time for you all. Another thing to be grateful for about doctors when they beat it.

I think you know what we are going to say. You are going to see your GP soon so it's a question to put to them but if she says no you need to work on stopping yourself going down another "what if" cancer route.

Remember, your diet isn't good, you have IBS like symptoms, the worms issue, fissure, etc. Anxiety on top of it all which causes problems with bowels. These are your likely culprits.

I was too young to remember it really.. I was like 6/7

and I don't know what you're going to say?:scared15:

You think it's possible? I know it's super rare over the age of 10 if I did have that gene and I've never been tested for it nor have they asked to test me or give me check ups so maybe I'm in the clear

MyNameIsTerry
14-11-18, 06:33
I have no idea about the genetic factor without looking it up but the point is it's another cancer that has popped up in someone with symptoms that can be attributable to something like IBS. IBS being extremely common, and more so in anxiety, than rare forms of cancer or rare cancers for your age group.

It says you are searching for the diagnosis. But what if there isn't even a genetic factor involved? I guess that means going back to the other form of cancer?

Your parents were probably advises about genetic factors, if they are relevant, and with you being too young to remember you may not realise it.