PDA

View Full Version : Scared, losing weight rapidly.

Worried97
14-11-18, 12:08
I have always struggled with weightloss but I managed to lose some weight before I left to go travelling for 1 month ( I was 173lbs, got down to 162lbs from exercise and diet) , I have been out of the country for the past month, in asia, and ofcourse while i was out there I got diarreah for about 10 or so day and I guess I wasnt really holding much food in.

Now since I got back, I was 159 on Saturday, today is wednesday and I am 156.
I did go spin class yesterday, i then had museli, some fruit, 3 cups of tea, a large dinner (maybe 600 cals or so) and I have been eating an okay amount of calories but I am frightened that something might be wrong with me. I do feel fine and have no pain at all, my bowels are still a little loose but solid.

I am losing a pound daily, I am a 5"3 female. I feel worried:( I do feel anxious today and dont have much of an appetite today.

Mark1974
14-11-18, 14:45
I have posted on another thread about this, as I seem to have lost a bit of weight in the last couple of weeks and can't work out why (a couple of pounds I can, but not 5lb - 3lb since Sunday). A bit of it might be due to falling into the trap of weighing daily rather than once a week like I usually do, which is showing fluctuations I would not normally be aware of.

I lost 3 stone in 18 months between February 2014 and October 2015, this was intentional weight loss due to being diagnosed with a fatty liver, and the GP said losing weight would help to reverse its effect so I did just that (from 16st 11lb down to 13st 11lb). Since then I've fluctuated between this and about 13st 13lb. At the beginning of August I came back from holiday and weighed in at 14st 3lb (I was 13st 13lb before I went, so the over indulgence cost me 4lb). I've not been able to shift that really since, give or take a lb and have been stuck on 14st 3lb ever since, despite going back to normal diet and exercise (2000 calories per day and 6 miles of walking per day) until the other week, and all of a sudden its dropped off.

I was in hospital from Thursday 1st November to Saturday 3rd November with suspected gallbladder issues, and was on nil by mouth for the best part of two days (fluids only), so I could explain it away at that stage (I did not weigh until last Saturday 10th November and I was at 14st 2lb, despite eating like a pig last week and only walking two miles per day), today I was down to 13st 13lb so 3lb has disappeared since then, and I've not eaten anything less than normal. This might not seem like a lot to anyone else, but it doesn't seem normal for me at the moment.

Whilst in hospital they did ultrasound of abdomen and found nothing other than a slightly fatty liver (which I already know about) and two kidney cysts which they said are harmless, all blood / urine / stool tests came back normal and yet I still fret about this weight loss (and I'm still in abdominal discomfort).

Sorry for the essay, its probably anxiety (again!)

Quack
14-11-18, 15:55
I know you're anxious, but a few pounds in half a week isn't what they consider rapid. Weight loss and anxiety can absolutely go hand in hand. I had some weight loss during an anxious spell once (10 pounds, which all came back eventually) and the doctor wasn't worried one bit. She said that if you were to lose that much overnight AND feel terribly weak, that's when you should be concerned.

Passing_for_human
14-11-18, 16:56
I have always struggled with weightloss but I managed to lose some weight before I left to go travelling for 1 month ( I was 173lbs, got down to 162lbs from exercise and diet) , I have been out of the country for the past month, in asia, and ofcourse while i was out there I got diarreah for about 10 or so day and I guess I wasnt really holding much food in.

Now since I got back, I was 159 on Saturday, today is wednesday and I am 156.
I did go spin class yesterday, i then had museli, some fruit, 3 cups of tea, a large dinner (maybe 600 cals or so) and I have been eating an okay amount of calories but I am frightened that something might be wrong with me. I do feel fine and have no pain at all, my bowels are still a little loose but solid.

I am losing a pound daily, I am a 5"3 female. I feel worried:( I do feel anxious today and dont have much of an appetite today.

This is one of those posts where you've answered/explained away your own worry but don't realise. What you're describing IS a diet (as in it is less calories than you would need to maintain weight so of course you're losing weight. You'd be losing weight without the exercise even). Your bowels are loose because the kind of bug you had while you were away can stay in your system for a long time. The kind of weight loss everyone posting on here worries about, associated with cancer, would be dramatic, sudden and without apparent cause. You have causes for your weight loss. Anxiety itself also leads to weight loss. There are many threads on here that can attest to that. Perhaps have a search for them to help reassure you.

ankietyjoe
14-11-18, 18:49
I did go spin class yesterday, i then had museli, some fruit, 3 cups of tea, a large dinner (maybe 600 cals or so)

That's not even close to what you need to eat in a day to maintain weight, let alone whilst you are exercising. That equates to maybe 1000-1200 calories, or about half of what you need in an active day.

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-18, 01:59
Since I have been diagnosed with Hypertension I've had to change my diet to lose some weight. I've been taking daily reading off & on since. I don't feel the need to, I'm just interested in seeing a downward trend.

What I have learned is my bodyweight can fluctuate between 4-5 pounds throughout the day. It can also be influenced by heavy meals the day before, not going to the toilet one day, etc. These are factors explained in articles about how weight lose readings can fluctuate.

I even take mine mostly under the same conditions and yet they still fluctuate. So, maybe it's not a true loss but a fluctuation?

Water retention in women make more of an issue than for men although we have that issue too to a lesser extent.

Anxiousamyj
15-11-18, 03:46
I've posted at least one thread like this myself in the last year or so. I was losing weight pretty rapidly and was also very anxious. The weight loss fueled the anxiety, which caused me to lose even more weight. I started weighing myself many, many times per day. My appetite was awful. I could barely eat. It's all a self sustaining cycle. Anxiety leads to no appetite, no appetite leads to weight loss, weight loss leads to anxiety. And around and around it goes. So, on more than one of my few adventures to the ER last year and the beginning of this year (for various HA reasons), one of the tests they did found ketones in my urine. So, I was eating so little that I was in ketosis, which fuels rapid weight loss. Many of my friends have been on the keto diet and would have loved those results, lol. Anyway, that happened to me more than once. The doctor would always tell me I need to eat more, as they could tell I had not been eating because of the ketones. I gained all that back (plus some! grrr...) once I got some help for my anxiety. This might be what's going on with you. My stomach was an awful mess during this time as well with stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea, etc... That's better now too. When I do get some HA flare ups, the diarrhea and stomach ache comes right back. It's definitely a direct correlation.

NicolasDoplin
08-02-19, 15:08
2-3 pound fluctuations are a standard change throughout the day, so there is no cause for concern. In addition, there is a chance that you lose weight because of anxiety.