PDA

View Full Version : More mouth worries

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 10:23
New day, new worry

I have a small spot thing on the side of my tongue (I don't think it's a lump as it isn't inside my tongue.) It's slightly painful but not very and white in appearance (almost like a spot filled with pus).

I also have an ulcer on my lip. I did have one a week ago too but it healed and then this one came along.

I am now worried what this is and have taken to google once again.

Thanks.

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 14:48
New day, new worry.....have taken to google once again.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8ZR30Cp6J1DgY/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 14:54
https://media.giphy.com/media/8ZR30Cp6J1DgY/giphy.gif

Positive thoughts

I do feel very frightened by this one though

debs71
07-11-18, 15:05
If I had a pound for every spot or painful thing that appeared on my tongue over the years, I would be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas by now, sipping a large Pina Colada!

Honestly Matthew, I am sure it is fine. I have had loads of painful, sore spots on my tongue, red patches, ulcer like things, etc. that just came and went. Our tongues are subjected to a lot - damage from brushing our teeth, scrapes from hard food, too hot food that irritates the surface of the tongue (sometimes burns it) which can cause these sore bumps and lumps. Even biting our tongues during sleep can occur.

If you are under the weather or your immune system is a bit down, you can can also easily get mouth ulcers and such things.

Don't worry, though I know that is easier said than done with anxiety. I find a bit of Bonjela or Corsodyl gel dabbed on helps clear these things up quicker. :)

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 15:11
If I had a pound for every spot or painful thing that appeared on my tongue over the years, I would be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas by now, sipping a large Pina Colada!

Honestly Matthew, I am sure it is fine. I have had loads of painful, sore spots on my tongue, red patches, ulcer like things, etc. that just came and went. Our tongues are subjected to a lot - damage from brushing our teeth, scrapes from hard food, too hot food that irritatates the surface of the tongue (sometimes burns it) which can cause these sore bumps and lumps. Even biting our tongues during sleep can occur.

If you are under the weather or your immune system is a bit down, you can can also easily get mouth ulcers and such things.

Don't worry, though I know that is easier said than done with anxiety. I find a bit of Bonjela or Corsodyl gel dabbed on helps clear these things up quicker. :)

Thanks but I cannot help worrying about it. It isn't as painful as I first thought and Im also worried about the ulcer on my lip.

nomorepanic
07-11-18, 15:20
Give them time to go and don't jump to conclusions. Debs gave you some great advice there.

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 15:26
If I had a pound for every spot or painful thing that appeared on my tongue over the years, I would be sitting on a beach in the Bahamas by now, sipping a large Pina Colada! :)

True! I have a sore spot on the inside of my right cheek. I probably bit it while I was asleep and it's right where my teeth come together. That means no Pina Coladas for me! (ouch! :scared15:).

I do feel very frightened by this one though

Brother, you've been very frightened about everything you've posted about for the last two years. Have any of those fears come true? :winks:

Positive thoughts

debs71
07-11-18, 15:28
True! I have a sore spot on the inside of my right cheek. I probably bit it while I was asleep and it's right where my teeth come together. That means no Pina Coladas for me! (ouch! :scared15:).

Positive thoughts

Aww, Fishmanpa......not even one little bitty Pina Colada??

It might help dull the pain a bit :roflmao:

(Well that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :D)

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 15:34

Brother, you've been very frightened about everything you've posted about for the last two years. Have any of those fears come true? :winks:

Positive thoughts

True I get what you're saying but I read three things online which have scared me about mouth/tongue/oral cancer:

1. Young people can get it through HPV infection- I don't even know how that's spread (im 19)
2. Lumps on the side of the tongue are usually cancer
3. Painless lumps/spots are cancerous

Now I am entering panic mode

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 15:38
True I get what you're saying but I read three things online which have scared me about mouth/tongue/oral cancer:

1. Young people can get it through HPV infection- I don't even know how that's spread (im 19)
2. Lumps on the side of the tongue are usually cancer
3. Painless lumps/spots are cancerous

Now I am entering panic mode

Again, Matt, you're shooting yourself in the foot! (This is what you do every time you get a niggle).

I don't know what anyone can do or say here to help TBH :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 15:45
Again, Matt, you're shooting yourself in the foot! (This is what you do every time you get a niggle).

I don't know what anyone can do or say here to help TBH :shrug:

Positive thoughts

I know Im sorry but I genuinely do not know what to do or how to curb these feelings

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

It keeps coming to the "what if this time something is wrong"

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 16:20
I know Im sorry but I genuinely do not know what to do or how to curb these feelings

It keeps coming to the "what if this time something is wrong"

Don't be sorry but what do you expect when you do this to yourself, come here seeking reassurance, and none of it helps? :shrug: What are you doing to help yourself with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 16:44
Don't be sorry but what do you expect when you do this to yourself, come here seeking reassurance, and none of it helps? :shrug: What are you doing to help yourself with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Not much but I am very worried about my tongue

mark84
07-11-18, 16:47
I get this plenty, I asked my dentist, she said it's caused by stress and anxiety. It's not nice but a couple of days and it'll fade away :)

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 16:55
I get this plenty, I asked my dentist, she said it's caused by stress and anxiety. It's not nice but a couple of days and it'll fade away :)

Okay thank you for your response however I said in my OP it was sort of painful but Im taking that back- I don't feel much pain at all. I'm now very worried and I keep feeling around my tongue and I think I've found another one.

debs71
07-11-18, 17:23
Okay thank you for your response however I said in my OP it was sort of painful but Im taking that back- I don't feel much pain at all. I'm now very worried and I keep feeling around my tongue and I think I've found another one.

Matthew, I am not sure if any further reassurance will help, but mine also do not always hurt.

A couple of weeks ago I had a lump appear in the roof of my mouth. I had NO PAIN and didnt notice it until I felt it with my tongue. Being a muppet, I Googled it and it said that these things can be cause by food burns. They come and then they go again, as did mine within a few days.

Just because something doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it is serious.

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 19:12
Matthew, I am not sure if any further reassurance will help, but mine also do not always hurt.

A couple of weeks ago I had a lump appear in the roof of my mouth. I had NO PAIN and didnt notice it until I felt it with my tongue. Being a muppet, I Googled it and it said that these things can be cause by food burns. They come and then they go again, as did mine within a few days.

Just because something doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it is serious.

Thanks again for your advice Im just scared now

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

I also have a dentist appointment booked (before I noticed this) maybe they can help me.

mark84
07-11-18, 20:12
Thanks again for your advice Im just scared now

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

I also have a dentist appointment booked (before I noticed this) maybe they can help me.

The dentist is the correct person to be seeing, what day is your appointment?

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 20:15
The dentist is the correct person to be seeing, what day is your appointment?

This coming Friday

Fishmanpa
07-11-18, 20:52
So in only two days you'll see the dentist. There you go! Let us know what they say!

"Told Ya So Gang" will be on standby!:winks:

Positive thoughts

mark84
07-11-18, 20:57
This coming Friday

Great stuff. Will you let us know when you get good news?

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 21:13
Great stuff. Will you let us know when you get good news?

Absolutely

mark84
07-11-18, 21:34
Absolutely

I look forward :)

Matthew1233
07-11-18, 21:39
I look forward :)

What if they ask for testing on it that will have me very worried

Matthew1233
09-11-18, 16:17
Update dentist done

Well first of all the thing I was worrying about is a taste bud whatever that is- dentist said it would go on its own (in fact it's gotten smaller I think) however she said I gingivitis which is worrying because idk what that is- she said it's kinda like gum disease (has the ending -itis which is worrying). I told her I had been neglecting my teeth brushing lately which has caused this and I also have to get a filling so I have to go back in a couple of week?

She said to reduce gingivitis to brush twice and more thoroughly around my gum. She could see my very anxious and told me to speak to a GP about anxiety.

So overall I'm kinda relaxed but there is still a part going what's wrong here

Scass
09-11-18, 16:24
Well basically a taste bud is what makes you taste, and gingivitis is inflammation of your gums due to not brushing them. Why haven’t you been brushing them again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew1233
09-11-18, 16:27
Well basically a taste bud is what makes you taste, and gingivitis is inflammation of your gums due to not brushing them. Why haven’t you been brushing them again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I have been lazy when it comes to brushing my teeth I have just put it way at the back of my mind.

Fishmanpa
09-11-18, 17:41
First off... I owe you this... ;)

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZgGYYD5nplsAg/giphy.gif

Concerning this?

Honestly I have been lazy when it comes to brushing my teeth I have just put it way at the back of my mind.

This is common sense stuff :shrug: At minimum you should brush twice a day and floss as well. The question is why are you foregoing this? Sadly, many with mental health issues like depression tend to forego personal hygiene due to lack of motivation.

The part that is still trying to raise doubts is your anxiety. No more, no less. You can and hopefully will put this to rest along with the clear mucous thing.

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
09-11-18, 18:03
First off... I owe you this... ;)

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZgGYYD5nplsAg/giphy.gif

Concerning this?

This is common sense stuff :shrug: At minimum you should brush twice a day and floss as well. The question is why are you foregoing this? Sadly, many with mental health issues like depression tend to forego personal hygiene due to lack of motivation.

The part that is still trying to raise doubts is your anxiety. No more, no less. You can and hopefully will put this to rest along with the clear mucous thing.

Positive thoughts

Thank you

Matthew1233
14-11-18, 13:08
Hi again

Woke up this morning and noticed like a painless spot on my gums and Im worried about that (pretty sure I've had that before) and also I keep prodding an area of gum just below a tooth and it sorta of feels sore and bit lumpy but I'm not sure if it does (again I think I have had this before but I don't know)

I'm sorry for this.

Matthew1233
14-11-18, 22:38
Hi again

Noticed a very moveable lump on bottom of my gums just level with my chin also some bleeding when brushing. Now worried about this.

Thanks

AMomentofClarity
14-11-18, 23:17
Hi again

Noticed a very moveable lump on bottom of my gums just level with my chin also some bleeding when brushing. Now worried about this.

Thanks

How many threads/fears have you started in the last month?

curtsteph00
15-11-18, 00:13
If it was anything serious, it likely wouldn't be moveable. I have god knows how many lumps and bumps in my mouth... and about bleeding gums when brushing, the worst that could be is gingivitis which is easily sorted with some chlorexidine mouthwash :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

curtsteph00
15-11-18, 00:17
Sounds like swollen gums/gingivitis to me... I've just had it. Get some chlorexidine mouthwash and use it after brushing your teeth, that should sort it. Nothing serious by the sounds of it.

Elen
15-11-18, 08:02
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Matthew1233
15-11-18, 13:14
Sounds like swollen gums/gingivitis to me... I've just had it. Get some chlorexidine mouthwash and use it after brushing your teeth, that should sort it. Nothing serious by the sounds of it.

Dentist said I did have it but she only looked at my teeth rather than my gums which is concerning

curtsteph00
15-11-18, 13:20
Dentist said I did have it but she only looked at my teeth rather than my gums which is concerningIf there was something strange that wasn't common she would be concerned about it.

Matthew1233
15-11-18, 13:35
If there was something strange that wasn't common she would be concerned about it.

But I only noticed/felt this after my visit

AMomentofClarity
15-11-18, 15:24
But I only noticed/felt this after my visit

Recognize your pattern. For the frequent posters on this site, they usually follow 1 of 2. Some get so focused in on a single fear, single ailment, and dwell on it constantly regardless of professional medical advice.
Others bounce from one fear to another, day by day. As soon as one is alleviated, they find another.

You’re exhibit A of the latter. No matter how much reassurance you’re provided, you will absolutely find something new to worry about within a day or two. The evidence is clear in your last month of posts.
So, why not try to change it???

Fishmanpa
15-11-18, 16:34
Dentist said I did have it but she only looked at my teeth rather than my gums which is concerning

So you're claiming that the dentist did an oral examination of your mouth and neglected to check your gums? Do you realize how absurd that statement is? Do you recognize you're thinking that to keep your irrational fear alive?

I agree with Clarity concerning the very obvious pattern of HA. Truly, look into getting some real life help. You're young and shouldn't have to suffer like this.

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
15-11-18, 19:18
So you're claiming that the dentist did an oral examination of your mouth and neglected to check your gums? Do you realize how absurd that statement is? Do you recognize you're thinking that to keep your irrational fear alive?

I agree with Clarity concerning the very obvious pattern of HA. Truly, look into getting some real life help. You're young and shouldn't have to suffer like this.

Positive thoughts

I genuinely don't know what to do anymore- hopefully the meds will help

Matthew1233
17-11-18, 19:01
My problems continue I think I found another lumpy thing near my gum and when I push on my tooth it's sore and I'm afraid it'll go lose and come out. I think it may me more than gingivitis that the dentist said I had. Now worried

AMomentofClarity
17-11-18, 19:54
Now worried

With all due respect, you’ve been “worried” constantly for a month now.

jray23
17-11-18, 21:14
To recap, you have demonstrated the following symptoms in this thread:

- Excessive, uncontrollable, chronic worry
- Googling worst case scenarios
- Catastrophic thoughts (from what you googled)
- Fear
- Daily symptom checking, prodding, etc
- Detective work actively searching for new symptoms, then trying to come up with an explanation for anything you find
- Reassurance seeking
- "Yeah, but..." syndrome
- "What if this time..." syndrome
- Deciding in advance to be worried about future situations which are not remotely guaranteed to happen (the "what if they order tests I will be scared" part)
- Medical professional identifying your anxious state
- Neglect of basic personal hygiene
- Rationalizing that a medical professional skipped a very basic part of her examination

I normally would stay away from "diagnosing", but I can 100% diagnose you, even though you are a stranger on the Internet, with...

....anxiety.

There is absolutely no question about it. I can recognize some of these symptoms in myself and many in others on here. It is an EXTREMELY common pattern.

So what will you do? First know that ONLY you can resolve it. Here's some things that can help you.

- Acceptance that this is anxiety.
- Look through the Free CBT links on this forum (sorry I don't have the links I am on my phone)
- Talk to your doctor about your anxiety. Feel free to show him/her your threads on here.
- Meditate daily.
- Exercise
- Refrain from looking at/feeling around your mouth for physical symptoms (new or current). Maybe start by skipping a day, then next time don't look for two days, etc.
- Refrain from ANY reassurance seeking
- No playing detective to solve a mystery of why something feels like it does.
- Stay busy.
- Eat well
- If necessary, see a therapist for actual CBT.

Does that sound reasonable? Doable?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
17-11-18, 21:58
Nailed it jray!

Positive thoughts

Matthew1233
18-11-18, 11:14
To recap, you have demonstrated the following symptoms in this thread:

- Excessive, uncontrollable, chronic worry
- Googling worst case scenarios
- Catastrophic thoughts (from what you googled)
- Fear
- Daily symptom checking, prodding, etc
- Detective work actively searching for new symptoms, then trying to come up with an explanation for anything you find
- Reassurance seeking
- "Yeah, but..." syndrome
- "What if this time..." syndrome
- Deciding in advance to be worried about future situations which are not remotely guaranteed to happen (the "what if they order tests I will be scared" part)
- Medical professional identifying your anxious state
- Neglect of basic personal hygiene
- Rationalizing that a medical professional skipped a very basic part of her examination

I normally would stay away from "diagnosing", but I can 100% diagnose you, even though you are a stranger on the Internet, with...

....anxiety.

There is absolutely no question about it. I can recognize some of these symptoms in myself and many in others on here. It is an EXTREMELY common pattern.

So what will you do? First know that ONLY you can resolve it. Here's some things that can help you.

- Acceptance that this is anxiety.
- Look through the Free CBT links on this forum (sorry I don't have the links I am on my phone)
- Talk to your doctor about your anxiety. Feel free to show him/her your threads on here.
- Meditate daily.
- Exercise
- Refrain from looking at/feeling around your mouth for physical symptoms (new or current). Maybe start by skipping a day, then next time don't look for two days, etc.
- Refrain from ANY reassurance seeking
- No playing detective to solve a mystery of why something feels like it does.
- Stay busy.
- Eat well
- If necessary, see a therapist for actual CBT.

Does that sound reasonable? Doable?

Thank you for this I really appreciate this- I am feeling slightly better today and yesterday I was working which took my mind of things partly.

I have read somewhere that having "negative thoughts" increases you're susceptibility to getting various diseases including cancer, what is your opinion on this?

jray23
18-11-18, 19:48
Thank you for this I really appreciate this- I am feeling slightly better today and yesterday I was working which took my mind of things partly.

I have read somewhere that having "negative thoughts" increases you're susceptibility to getting various diseases including cancer, what is your opinion on this?I'm glad that I'm able to help even just a bit! I know what a terrible place the deep rabbit hole of HA is.

As for negative thoughts causing serious disease, well that is something that I don't think is proven, but my personal opinion is that it could - indirectly - as it can build up to stress and too much stress for too long can certainly hurt a person's health. But what's important to note from this opinion is that it would be something that really really would be a lifelong buildup, I don't think being anxious for a couple months or anything would be able to have such a massive physical impact or we would see a clear link by now as everyone goes through tough times in some way or another! Or it could be even more indirect such as the lifelong thoughts lead to lifelong stress leading to poor habits leading to poor nutrition/exercise/sleep etc which then leads to disease. And what's even more important is that anything like that would be almost always reversible unless the disease had already set in.

Matthew1233
22-11-18, 16:22
It was going so well and I thought I wouldn't be back here for a while but I found like a lumpy swollen bump on the roof of my mouth and now I feel like I'm back to Square one. I knows it's probably nothing but yet again it feels like its something even with all the other mouth problems I had it doesn't seem coincidental. This is just more frustrating than worrying now but still worrying at the same time

AMomentofClarity
22-11-18, 18:21
It was going so well and I thought I wouldn't be back here for a while but I found like a lumpy swollen bump on the roof of my mouth and now I feel like I'm back to Square one. I knows it's probably nothing but yet again it feels like its something even with all the other mouth problems I had it doesn't seem coincidental. This is just more frustrating than worrying now but still worrying at the same time

I think you being back could have been predicted by anybody...except you obviously. Your pattern is crystal clear....no matter how much reassurance you’re given from here, from medical professionals, etc, you’ll always be back.
You’re not treating the one thing that needs treating most...the thing on top of your shoulders.