PDA

View Full Version : Making choices based on anxiety for example driving tests and flying

phil06
15-11-18, 19:48
Can anybody help?

I sat 4 driving tests 9 years ago and wondered if I should try again? After the last test I needed diazepam as I felt anxious about life. My worry is this could come back?

I get superstitious and if something doesn’t feel right I throw the idea out. I judge on what my anxiety levels are. Like flying if it doesn’t feel right I won’t fly or won’t book it. Since I thought about driving again I seen lots of instructors on the road and worried it was a sign or fate again

Anybody else judge there life based on anxiety?

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85016

This was my post after I sat my last test and cancelled

Suziewuzie
15-11-18, 21:00
Do you wanna learn to drive? Hell yeah you should book it again, imagine how awesome you'll feel to achieve that! I can't relate to the "not feeling right" thing, luckily if I want to do something then nothing's stopping me - I wish I could pass that on to you. Didn't you practise this in CBT? Avoidance techniques & how to get over them?

phil06
15-11-18, 21:08
Do you wanna learn to drive? Hell yeah you should book it again, imagine how awesome you'll feel to achieve that! I can't relate to the "not feeling right" thing, luckily if I want to do something then nothing's stopping me - I wish I could pass that on to you. Didn't you practise this in CBT? Avoidance techniques & how to get over them?

No I never did avoidance how would I get over that? I avoid lots of things to feel safe and my comfort zone.

I would like a car ideally to maybe hire now and again but if I don’t drive it’s fine too but I mean I was close to passing before so that always bugs me :ohmy:

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

I worry how I would be driving after 9 years the tests have changed ect

Suziewuzie
16-11-18, 10:13
Sorry, avoidance techniques isn't the right term but it's basically something used in CBT to help you stop avoiding situations that you fear might make you anxious. It's obviously hard because it means facing your fears, but with continued practise it gets easier & you eventually recognise that what you fear isn't going to happen, and even if it does then you will be able to cope with it. For example, I avoided driving on the motorway for a while because I was scared I'd have a panic attack and crash. So I started out just doing very small journeys - just joining and staying on for one junction (a couple of minutes) the first few times I did end up pulling over on the hard shoulder, panicking but with time & practise it got easier and easier. I'm surprised they didn't have you doing this in CBT & think it's something you should really try! It's basically "feel the fear but do it anyway"

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Oh and you wouldn't be normal if you weren't nervous about doing your driving test. It's nerve wracking! But that's absolutely no reason not to do it. Maybe do a practise lesson with an instructor, get your head around what the test involves & then go for it.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Oh and you wouldn't be normal if you weren't nervous about doing your driving test. It's nerve wracking! But that's absolutely no reason not to do it. Maybe do a practise lesson with an instructor, get your head around what the test involves & then go for it.