PDA

View Full Version : Fed up

shiznit76
16-11-18, 11:06
Hi, I am so fed up. I have suffered with GAD and depression for almost all my life (I am now 42), have been on lots different meds, had counselling, CBT and talking therapies and still nothing seems to help. I had been doing so well, had 6 months with no issues and thought I had finally got it cracked thanks to a change of meds, but since the summer I have almost been constantly in a state of GAD or depressed. I have paid for private help as NHS in UK can have very long waiting lists, and now about to pay private for a therapist to try CBT and relaxation techniques again, but I fear I am wasting my time. It is really getting to me as it doesn't make ne nice to be around and fear my wife is struggling to deal with me being like this. I go to work every day and do exercise a lot, I hide my suffering well, but deep down I find it harder and harder to cope. Just feel my options are running out

mark84
16-11-18, 11:47
open up to your wife about it, I think it'll make you easier to be around as it'll help her understand :)

shiznit76
16-11-18, 12:15
I do and she does understand, but it must be getting to her also.

The problem isn't opening up, it's the constant cycle of being well then crashing again that is causing me most frustration

Fishmanpa
16-11-18, 15:06
I know I say it ad nauseum here but what about professional help? You obviously have periods of time where your anxiety doesn't affect you so why not seek help to learn techniques and/or get a prescription to help quell the anxiety when raises it's ugly head?

Also, IMO, I think being fed up with it is a good thing. Many just go with the flow and allow it to control their lives. You're at a point that you feel you need to fight back. Take advantage of that emotion and do something!

Positive thoughts

Suziewuzie
16-11-18, 18:15
Sounds like you're doing lots of things to help yourself which is really good. I say this all the time & I'm sure people must read it and think "shut up" but making time to meditate twice daily is a real game changer for me. It's so important that your brain gets used to being 'off' and just being in the here and now. Even if it only relaxes you while you're doing it, it's a start.

shiznit76
17-11-18, 11:38
I know I say it ad nauseum here but what about professional help? You obviously have periods of time where your anxiety doesn't affect you so why not seek help to learn techniques and/or get a prescription to help quell the anxiety when raises it's ugly head?

Also, IMO, I think being fed up with it is a good thing. Many just go with the flow and allow it to control their lives. You're at a point that you feel you need to fight back. Take advantage of that emotion and do something!

Positive thoughts

I am having professional help and take meds, tried loads, but had no real joy on any

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Sounds like you're doing lots of things to help yourself which is really good. I say this all the time & I'm sure people must read it and think "shut up" but making time to meditate twice daily is a real game changer for me. It's so important that your brain gets used to being 'off' and just being in the here and now. Even if it only relaxes you while you're doing it, it's a start.

What meditation do you do, is there any sites online for it?

Suziewuzie
17-11-18, 11:54
There's a free app called Insight Timer which my mindfulness teacher recommended. I have downloaded it & it's free and packed full of different meditations but I haven't tried it yet.
If I'm feeling anxious / panicky I do a mindful meditation - normally a 20 minute body scan or 'the mindfulness of breathing' there are tonnes on YouTube. They ground me. On YouTube my favourite channel is The Mindful Movement & I listen to these when I'm feeling anxious or really down because they have some that make me feel a bit uplifted. It took me a while to get good at meditation & find ones which I like, sometimes I like a guided meditation with a story (Imagine you're on a beach, yadda yadda) sometimes I like to just listen to someone tell me to focus on my inbreath, notice my toes etc. Just explore! YouTube is your friend x

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

I just wanted to add, with regards to your wife. I've been the partner of someone with depression & anxiety and yes sometimes it's tough - but as long as you are open with her & she knows that you're trying to beat this, she will understand and won't hold it against you. In my experience it becomes a problem when you push people away. That's not to say you should make her entire life about how you're feeling, but reminding her that you appreciate her patience & understanding will go a long way. She loves you at the end of the day, don't let that be another source of worry x