PDA

View Full Version : Wooried about bowel issues/colorectal cancer fear

Lukemc
16-11-18, 18:22
Hi,

My name is Luke I am I logical and intelligent young man from Liverpool UK I am 38 years old. I have a degree and can think rationally but I have Aspergers syndrome which means that I suffer from elevated anxiety including health anxiety. About 15 years ago I had severe anxiety over a non existent brain tumour which resulted in me being prescribed my current SSRI's (Escitalopram) which have worked very well in treating this anxiety. In March 2016 I had a flu infection which started to get me worked up about bowel symptoms - I was looking at my stools all the time and even though I passed good calibre stools I occasionally saw stools that got narrow and then sometimes round circular stools - and sometimes I noticed I had a lot of flatulence and passed mucus and I really started to worry that it could be colon or rectal cancer as looking online some of these symptoms where associated with it. I went to the doctor and he checked me over and said don't worry about it. Then I forgot about it for a bit but about I year ago I got concerned again as I had a bit of bright red blood on the toilet paper so that made me even more anxious went to the doctor again said don't worry but come back if it reoccurs since then it has happen approx. 3-4 times not very often the last time I have had it was August this year no signs since then but then went back to doctor after the last episode he did a complete blood count and a Fecal Calproctectin stool test - the FBC came back within normal range and my Hb level even went up a bit - Calprotectin test came back slightly elevated - 75 it was so the Doctor has referred me to Gastroenterology to get it looked at and I have got an appointment for the Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (the shorter version of the colonoscopy) next week. The problem is with my condition is that my mind tends to focus on bad things a lot I know I am young with a low chance of a nasty condition but you read stories on line of people of my age being diagnosed with colon or rectal cancer even advanced cancer when they feel well and that scares me and anxiety for me can be debilitating I sometimes think I feel a bit nauseous throughout the day not severe but it is unsettling but it could be psychological to BTW no family history of that sort of cancer but I am still worried of it being as possibility not good for someone who can occasionally suffer from extential anxiety too having a Physics degree I worry about time going fast and how short my life is in context and the worrying and anxiety is also hard for my parents to deal with I just want to get this morbit worry off my shoulder as I am due to start a new job shortly and I certainly do not want to have a serious illness! Any advice?

Regards,

Luke

nomorepanic
16-11-18, 18:26
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239