PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat :(

fbmb
17-11-18, 04:09
Ugh. My throat has been sore all week. I realized the first day that I had been exposed to strep, so I went in for a strep test and it was negative. Well, tonight it’s still almost as sore as it was Monday, and it’s kind of isolated to my right tonsil. My tonsil has red spots on it. I don’t have a fever. I called my doctor tonight and she filled an antibiotic for me in case I need it, but I don’t know if I do....and neither does she.

I’m not worried it’s cancer. I’m actually worried that it’s been strep this whole time and that my test was a false negative (happens sometimes) and that this could result in rheumatic fever if I don’t treat it.

Should I just take the antibiotic? It’s amoxicillin. Or should I let it go? My doctor didn’t really have concrete advice for me. She wasn’t too sure and just said I should have the meds in case I decide I need them tomorrow. That’s not super helpful.....

What would you guys do?

WiseMonkey
17-11-18, 08:41
Ugh. My throat has been sore all week. I realized the first day that I had been exposed to strep, so I went in for a strep test and it was negative. Well, tonight it’s still almost as sore as it was Monday, and it’s kind of isolated to my right tonsil. My tonsil has red spots on it. I don’t have a fever. I called my doctor tonight and she filled an antibiotic for me in case I need it, but I don’t know if I do....and neither does she.

I’m not worried it’s cancer. I’m actually worried that it’s been strep this whole time and that my test was a false negative (happens sometimes) and that this could result in rheumatic fever if I don’t treat it.

Should I just take the antibiotic? It’s amoxicillin. Or should I let it go? My doctor didn’t really have concrete advice for me. She wasn’t too sure and just said I should have the meds in case I decide I need them tomorrow. That’s not super helpful.....

What would you guys do?

If your Dr's given you antibiotics then I'd take them. If it's viral then the antibiotics won't help but it may have turned bacterial so worth a try.

BikerMatt
17-11-18, 10:45
I would just take the antibiotics. As WM has said if it's viral they won't work. If it is viral your bodies immune system will kick it into touch. If it's bacterial the antibiotics will nuke it. It will do you no harm to take them.

Best Wishes

StephA
17-11-18, 19:47
Sorry, but I disagree with taking the antibiotics (just in case). Never a good idea to take antibiotics unless you have a confirmed bacterial infection. If you don’t have fever pethaps you should go back to the doc for another strep test and perhaps a culture to confirm. Some doctor’s don’t even treat strep with antibiotics. Some studies have found antibiotics just shave off about a day for strep throat. Taking antibiotics when they aren’t needed can and often does create bigger problems, C Diff being one, and trust me, you do NOT want that! It can also contribute to antibiotic resistance.

fbmb
17-11-18, 22:29
Sorry, but I disagree with taking the antibiotics (just in case). Never a good idea to take antibiotics unless you have a confirmed bacterial infection. If you don’t have fever pethaps you should go back to the doc for another strep test and perhaps a culture to confirm. Some doctor’s don’t even treat strep with antibiotics. Some studies have found antibiotics just shave off about a day for strep throat. Taking antibiotics when they aren’t needed can and often does create bigger problems, C Diff being one, and trust me, you do NOT want that! It can also contribute to antibiotic resistance.

I went to urgent care today and they did another strep test which was negative. They recommended that I take antibiotics but since it has even been a week I think I’ll see how I feel tomorrow. It doesn’t hurt as badly today. I agree with you about antibiotics. Since amoxicillin is my preferred medicine I would rather not take it unless I need to, because it’s cold and flu season and I will probably need it before spring (for a sinus infection).

I feel better knowing that it’s not strep. He said he is definitely not worried about strep since this was my second negative test in 4 days.