PDA

View Full Version : CDC warning and I might have it

jules321
21-11-18, 06:21
CDC issued a very stern warning not to eat romaine lettuce in the USA due to dangerous strain of ecoli outbreak - and my whole family just ate romaine salads at a restaurant last night. Now I’m scared. How does one deal with rhisnwait and see? My stomach is starting to hurt just thinking about it. This was a high end restaurant. How could they serve it?!!

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Ok I’m swirling. I have had romaine lettuce once in 6 months because of the last romaine recall- and now there’s another right when I tell myself to get over my fears and eat it?? My young child with health issues ate it last night! I am panicking. Full fledged head spinning panicking. I messaged my doctor to understand what to do if we get symptoms. Oh I will contact the pedi right now too. Anyone else scared about this?

Scass
21-11-18, 07:39
Sorry you’re going through this. For your peace of mind it’s a good idea to speak to the doctor, but I’m not saying that’s necessary. I’m sure you’ll be fine, it’ll be your anxiety that’s giving you symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NervUs
21-11-18, 13:30
Not scared. It is what it is, and you won't know unless you get sick. There is no point in assuming you will. If you do, you will deal with it then.

P.s. my whole family ate at Chipotle on Mon night so we are really risking our lives lol and I am not worried!

jules321
21-11-18, 14:24
I have some minor stomach cramping. I know it’s likely anxiety at this point since it started right after I read about the romaine recall. Still I’m scared. I woke up on and off all night from it.

Is anyone else scared who has consumed romaine recently?

Fishmanpa
21-11-18, 14:29
From another post about this...

I saw this in the news yesterday and I knew it would show up on the boards :lac: My wife and I use romaine and eat salad at least twice a week for dinner. We're fine! We're just not going to buy it until this scare is over. No biggie.

I think it was something like 50 people took ill. Think about that. 50 people out of ALL the people that consumed romaine in the US and Canada. :shrug:

Positive thoughts

jules321
21-11-18, 14:30
I’m on another forum unrelated to health and everyone there is so level headed (and they have often called me on my anxiety which frankly I find annoying but is interesting my anxiety has come through — likely because I ask a lot of flu-related questions). Anyway on that forum everyone keeps saying things like “I hope we are all still here in a couple weeks” or “This forum will be lonely with so few people on it after most of us die.” What the...? Are they joking or do they really fear for their lives? I’m scared for myself and terrified for my young child who ate the lettuce.

Fishmanpa
21-11-18, 14:33
I’m on another forum unrelated to health and everyone there is so level headed (and they have often called me on my anxiety which frankly I find annoying but is interesting my anxiety has come through — likely because I ask a lot of flu-related questions). Anyway on that forum everyone keeps saying things like “I hope we are all still here in a couple weeks” or “This forum will be lonely with so few people on it after most of us die.” What the...? Are they joking or do they really fear for their lives? I’m scared for myself and terrified for my young child who ate the lettuce.

They're totally busting your stones as your extreme fear is way off the charts. I'm not surprised that they call you out on your anxiety based on what I've read here :shades:

Positive thoughts

jules321
21-11-18, 14:40
Fish I haven’t posted on that forum’s thread about the romaine so they aren’t busting my chops. You still think they are joking around though? Doesn’t matter really -‘I know I’m spinning out here on this one. I’m just so frustrated. I avoided romaine since the last recall and then I finally have it and now there’s another.

Have you eaten romaine recently? I’m scared for my 7yo who already has health issues. It’s my job to protect my child - what if I can’t on this one? Swirling and scared.

Fishmanpa
21-11-18, 15:33
Have you eaten romaine recently? I’m scared for my 7yo who already has health issues. It’s my job to protect my child - what if I can’t on this one? Swirling and scared.

My wife and I eat salad for dinner at least twice a week and use romaine. We did during that last scare too. We haven't gotten sick. There's 325 million people in the US. Another 38 million or so in Canada. 50 people reported ill. Do the math. And yeah... based on your flu threads here, it's no wonder they're breaking your stones! :wacko:

I know this won't really help but consider it a token of reassurance :D Hope you have a great Thanksgiving (sans the romaine :winks: )

Positive thoughts

jules321
21-11-18, 15:41
Thanks Fish. My family and I just went through something (real) and very scary shich I surprinsgly handled with calm- but I know my HA is revved from it.

I am having stomach cramps and diarrhea this morning - although I know that’s lkkely from anxiety. I’m also trying to remind myself that even if I get ecoli it will likely pass (ha) without issue. Here’s hoping.

Fishmanpa
21-11-18, 16:00
Thanks Fish. My family and I just went through something (real) and very scary shich I surprinsgly handled with calm- but I know my HA is revved from it.

I am having stomach cramps and diarrhea this morning - although I know that’s lkkely from anxiety. I’m also trying to remind myself that even if I get ecoli it will likely pass (ha) without issue. Here’s hoping.

There ya go! You got this. Don't let it spoil your holiday! I'm waiting for the turkey salt brine marinade to cool and in goes the bird for tomorrow. My recipe is awesome! :D Later I'll be making my famous sweet potato pie and my wife is doing apple pie. Got the kids coming in this evening. Really looking forward to it !

Positive thoughts

jules321
21-11-18, 17:20
Your holiday sounds wonderful. I’m not a big bird fan, but those pies sound incredible. Enjoy the time with your family. We all have a lot to be grateful for that’s for sure.

Sparky16
21-11-18, 19:03

I've seen the same comments on a cooking forum. They are just joking, although it is sort of in bad taste.

I understand how you feel, we just had salad for lunch yesterday before I saw the warning. But the CDC is calling for all romaine to be avoided because they aren't sure where the problem is coming from this time, not because it is all unsafe.