PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms - Health Anxiety getting the better of me

smudger1986
21-11-18, 19:51
Hi

My name is David, 32 year old male.
My life has been plagued by Health Anxiety and I feel like it’s finally starting to get the better of me, not sure when it started but some of my family are hypochondriac’s and I had bacterial meningitis as a child which may have been a factor?

I’ve always hadn’t it under control up until a couple years ago, in 2015 I caught a really bad chest infection and pseudomonas in my sinuses which took months of anti-biotics and steroids to remove, my sinuses have never been the same since.
During this horrible period my swallowing became more difficult and I was diagnosed with slight esophageal motility disorder with no obvious cause, I have since learned to live with this and doesn’t really affect my quality of life, more of a nuisance if anything.

At the time I couldn’t accept this and I convinced myself I had a neurological condition, I’ve had every test possible including MRI, EMG and NCV tests and seen 3 different neurologists and everything has come back fine.

I was ok with this for a long time but unfortunately the dark cloud is back and I’m struggling to cope. I’m now fully convinced that I have MSA (Multiple System Atrophy) a horrible condition that petrifies me. I have new symptoms, which all correlate with the symptoms of this condition, the symptom that is troubling me most is frequent urination, I’ve had all the tests, urine sample, ultra-sound, blood-tests and again everything is fine, this is why I’ve convinced myself that it’s something more sinister, Everytime I drink I have to urinate, at least 10 tiles a day. The other worrisome symptoms I’ve been experiencing is having to take regular deep breaths and my heart beat seems to slow down(sometimes into the high 40s) when I lye/sit down, I don’t feel lightheaded but I do feel this sensation in my chest, I had a loop recorder fitted a few years back and so far nothing abnormal has been flagged up, although I have had a couple of near fainting episodes(reason I had the recorder fitted) and luckily I’ve had one of these episodes in this time and the doctor has diagnosed them these episodes as vasovagal syncope which he wasn’t too worried about, it’s very scary experience and my heart stopped for 3 seconds last time this happened.

Apologies for the long post but wanted to fully explain why I feel so down at the minute.

Please, any messages of reassurance will help me through this.

Many Thanks,
David

Sirhc
23-11-18, 13:54
Hi David,

I had a recent health scare and it is the waiting for results that make me so worried. Your post is actually well timed as I just recently found out everything looks to be fine for me and yet I am struggling to accept that.

One of my symptoms is frequent urination to the point where it is nearly always on my mind. Similarly, I just had a urinalysis and ultrasound and a urologist is telling me everything is okay. Think about that, a man who has dedicated his life to understanding the urinary system and I can’t believe him completely.

I feel like letting too much stress in causes an acute reaction and then we have these kind of flareups that cause us to be cyclically stuck in noticing the very normal body responses to too much stress. Fight or Flight causes us to want to let our bodily functions out and this is a cause of the having to pee sensation.

I have been finding that sipping water throughout the day as opposed to just guzzling a full glass is helping me to not be so ridiculously tied to the bathroom. Also, giving in to the urge to urinate creates a new normal where your bladder feels full way too soon. I have read 3 hours is about the time we should aim for (I know, easier said than done).

I have also experienced the skipped beats, etc. You should very much feel comfort in that all of your symptons were observed by the cardiologist. That’s exactly what you want. The heart has an electrical path that always keeps the heart beating. The vagal nerve can come in there and mess with the timing/beat but your heart has another pathway that keeps the heart beating no matter what the vagal nerve is up to.

Once you have had your heart looked at as effectively as you have, you can safely believe that your heart is not going to let you down. It takes 10-20 years for heart disease to form and it sounds like your heart is doing great.

We just need to learn to get out of our own way and start living.

While I am sorry you are going through this I am glad you posted because knowing somebody else is experiencing something very similar makes it feel just a bit more normal. I hope today is a much better day for you.